Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Nearly set the z650 on fire.... Starter issues?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

mothra
100Club
100Club

Nearly set the z650 on fire.... Starter issues?

#1 PostAuthor: mothra » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:20 am

Ok, current situation is as follows. Bike is almost entirely done. Wiring works, brakes work, all bits are bolted on. All I have to do is start the thing and balance carbs/tweak ignition timing etc.

But the starter motor won't do anything - it whines, but doesn't seem to move. I wasn't too worried as I thought it was a battery problem.

The process kind of went:

Just bought a new odyssey battery, fitted it...
Makes a louder whine, let's keep hitting the button and see if it moves...
I can smell burning...
I can see smoke...
Stopped trying to turn it over and the starter motor lead was very hot.

Bearing in mind I'm learning all this as I go, I'm worried that the starter clutch is not working - does that make sense? I don't want it to be this as that would be another engine strip. I'm desparately trying to be ready for Guy's berkshire meet on sunday and Ace cafe next week.

Guy has a local friend who can probably sort me out with a replacement starter motor, lead, solenoid - but from the symptoms above, any ideas on what the issue is?

Thanks,

Stu
Currently restoring a 78 z650

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: tlc » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:08 pm

Something is making your motor reluctant to spin. Therefore it draws too much current and the lead gets hot.

I suspect the motor is not moving freely enough. Did you strip the motor ? or did you strip the starter clutch assembly. Tightness could be there.
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:04 pm

Starter motors are not rated to run continually and should only be used for a couple of seconds at a time or can get hot and burn out it sound like your starter clutch to me common, on z650, engine out i am afraid i am told you can get to it while engine in situ ,but i reckon this would be like taking your tonsils out through your backside!
Last edited by PAULJAC47 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#4 PostAuthor: Pigford » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:57 pm

Just uase the kick starter... Much cooler (this day & age) & easy peasy :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

ted1r
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#5 PostAuthor: ted1r » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:05 pm

But Pigford its such a drama taking the seat off everytime :shock:

Ted :lol:
"Work this is why I did it"

KE250
KZ1200
Puch Maxi
Be careful with Pensions :e
and me ol Granada

mothra
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: mothra » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:20 am

Its an 81 engine, so no kickstart.

I'm also worried it's the starter clutch. If so, obviously won't be making the Ace. I tidied up the starter motor, but didn't strip it. I'm sorting some parts to try swapping, if none of those help it'll be the engine out again option....

I'm assuming that turning the engine over by hand is unlikely to help with any starter clutch issues?

Thanks for the help guys - I'll let you know....

zedrider
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: zedrider » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:34 am

ye gods and little fishes what prat desided that bikes dont need kick starts ? they will be doing away with the starter handle on cars next . remove chrome cover over starter motor undo the two long bolts holding the starter to the engine case . then put a screw driver over the two termals or the starter solonoid . and see how freely it turns with out the load on it . the cable should not get so hot as its only turning the starter and not the whole engine . make sure the starter case is earthed .
zed

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 pm

If it is case of engine out and new starter clutch be aware that the shaft the starter clutch grips on can in some cases become eliptical!!! if this has happened a new starter clutch will not cure,the only way to cure is to remove shaft and replace or dress up true on lathe.hope not for your sake but i had this happen to me!!! Good luck Paul J....
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.

Anon

PUM 673

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Rich » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Check the condition of the starter cable and the main earth as well, both of these will also give problems if they are oxidising.
Rich
diplomacy is a form of art - I was never any good at art

Taffus

#10 PostAuthor: Taffus » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:52 pm

have you tried bump starting it? It may help free up the internals????

GUYZED
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#11 PostAuthor: GUYZED » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:51 pm

Stu-If you need to get hold of Matt best do it quick as he's off to the USA very soon.
OLD ZED'S NEVER DIE THEY JUST GO FASTER...
Z1000A2 Z650B1

mothra
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: mothra » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:44 pm

Right, update for anyone with the same issue....

I came to the conlcusion it wasn't starter clutch as it seems when that goes, the starter spins, but engine doesn't. Took starter out, confirmed that starter clutch spun (one way). Hooked starter up direct to a battery, same whine, no movement.

A mechanically apt friend ( Most useful commodity on the planet :D ) ripped the starter motor apart and found the lead from the positive post had broken away (possibly caused by a slackening off of the second nut on the post) and welded itself to the armature, causing hiroshima level carnage inside. careful application of heat removed all the extraneous solder and allowed the lead to be welded back in place, moments later the bike is turning over....

:D :D :D

mothra
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: mothra » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:45 pm

Guy, I had spoken to Mat and he'd offered to line some parts up, but ran out of time... :D in good shape at the moment so no worries...

Taffus

#14 PostAuthor: Taffus » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:03 am

Well done stu, picked up another 650 project last week

mothra
100Club
100Club

#15 PostAuthor: mothra » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:16 am

:D Any pictures/details ? :D

Mine is actully running now, and quite nicely. Had a quick spin up and down the road, but had to be very careful as no front brakes as yet... Still on track for the Ace somehow, but have absolutely no margin for error as off sailing for the last three days of the week...

Return to “Bike Help”