Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

vance and hines query

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

northman
Regular Poster

vance and hines query

#1 PostAuthor: northman » Fri May 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Any of you chaps know if any jetting changes are needed when fitting a Vance and Hines 4-1 onto an otherwise standard 1000A1?

Cheers in anticipation
NORTHMAN

Skunkwurcx

#2 PostAuthor: Skunkwurcx » Sat May 09, 2009 3:13 am

I haven't jetted mine yet, however......When I first got the bike the previous owner had removed the stock snorkel/silencer under the seat which connects to the box that houses the air filter. A month or so after getting the bike I put the V&H on and all was good. Over the winter of '07-08 I re-did the ignition system, dyna coils and electronic ignition as well as the relay mod as the coils weren't getting 12V (they were somewhere around 8.6).

When riding season began I was still running the bike w/o the snorkel and a major flat spot showed up right around 5000 RPM and it just wouldn't pull much beyond that. Plug check revealed lean condition on all four. Just to try a theory I put the snorkel back in and the flat spot disappeared and it pulled strong again all the way to red line. Plug checks afterwards revealed a fairly tan colour but on the still a bit on the lean side imo. My guess is that with the weak ignition this lean problem didn't show up. By putting the snorkel back in I've restricted the air intake and balanced it back out again.

TBO, I think one size up on the jets would do the trick just fine, but as (knock on wood) it is working just fine as is, I'm going to leave it until I have to pull the carbs again.

Hope this helps.

Kev1R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: Kev1R » Sat May 09, 2009 5:57 am

Anyone know where to get a v & h exhaust now Z1 Enterprises seem to have ceased supply?

cheers

Skunkwurcx

#4 PostAuthor: Skunkwurcx » Sat May 09, 2009 10:26 am

Z1RT311 wrote:Anyone know where to get a v & h exhaust now Z1 Enterprises seem to have ceased supply?

cheers

Flea Bay

http://shop.ebay.ca/items/?_nkw=vance+% ... &_osacat=0

northman
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: northman » Sat May 09, 2009 4:17 pm

Thanks for the info. Skunkwurczx. I'll stick the pipe on, have a blast, pull a plug and see what that reveals,

Cheers
NORTHMAN

Skunkwurcx

#6 PostAuthor: Skunkwurcx » Sat May 09, 2009 10:22 pm

northman wrote:Thanks for the info. Skunkwurczx. I'll stick the pipe on, have a blast, pull a plug and see what that reveals,

Cheers

No problem mate. :D

sweptail
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: sweptail » Sun May 17, 2009 3:50 pm

My 900a4 runs well with or without the silencer. Standard motor with a vance n hines on. I just put bigger main jets in. Z power informed me that the silencer makes no differance to the running of the bike at all. Tc

Return to “Bike Help”