Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

still spluttering

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

mikey
Hardcore
Hardcore

still spluttering

#1 PostAuthor: mikey » Sat May 16, 2009 8:01 am

After trying another fuel tap, replacing the fuel lines, stripping the carbs god knows how many times and cleaning them out and having them balanced, new airfilter and plugs, having the timing checked, checking all electrical connections etc etc etc my Z1000A2 still splutters and misfires getting to the point where a gallon of petrol and a match is looking very attractive :evil:
Making the world a shiny place with a factory finish

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: mick znone » Sat May 16, 2009 8:20 am

as usual, i was going to post one of my useless windups Mikey, but you are having a bad time with this, instead i hope you get it sorted some how or other mate, because you are a top bloke, DONT BURN IT MIKEY, the answer will come mate :up
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 am

Its difficult to know what to suggest,
poss have you checked the carb to head inlet rubbers are not leaking, Either they are not sealed to the head or maybe they have cracked, While engine is running try squirting wd40 onto them and see if the engine note changes, it should spead up. You can also put washing up liquid on them and watch for bubbles.
Ill try and think off other causes when iv'e woken up properly,
good luck,
peter.

BShaw
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#4 PostAuthor: BShaw » Sat May 16, 2009 8:25 am

I you are at that point it's probably time to get someone else on board coz now you won't be able to see the wood for the trees, do a deal with one of em on here, swap polishing time for fettling time, one of your local boys must be up for it.
Keep your chin up
Baza

I had the day off from school when we did inglish.

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: mick znone » Sat May 16, 2009 8:33 am

thats the one Mikey, pull away from it Mikey, get someone in mate. seeing the wood for the trees and all that.
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

Mick Hayward
100Club
100Club

spluttering

#6 PostAuthor: Mick Hayward » Sat May 16, 2009 8:37 am

Try the WD40 trick. I had terrible trouble with my ST. Did all the usual work stripped carbs 3 times fitted in line filter and nearly gave up. Sprayed WD40 at manifold to head joint and hey presto run like a dream. When I stripped it all off the mounting screws were loose and the mounts were slightly bowed. Remounted with some gasket goo and it now runs perfectly.

Mick

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:41 am

Hi Mikey This sounds a carbon copy of probs i had with my A4 have you cleaned jets thoroughly? i thought i had but on close examanation one of them had a build up of crud internally restricting it it was harder to blow through this one than the other 3 replaced and ran fine after i had changed every other thing on the bike!!Also have you checked fuel cap breather? mine was blocked! hope you get sorted Cheers Paul J....
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#8 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sat May 16, 2009 9:53 am

Mikey, valve clearnences OK :|

Sounds more like electikery - intermittent - loose connection somewhere :?:

Tank off... have a good check on the connections..... especially bullets :evil:

Keep at it mate........

On the plus side... me Trumpets coming together and the shiney bits are A1 :wink: They're doing one in Classic Bike (T140V) thats along the same line as mine (flat tracker) and it don't look half as good... Cheers :P
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

compo z1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

mikey

#9 PostAuthor: compo z1r » Sat May 16, 2009 12:29 pm

mikey if you've done all you've said correctly the valves could be in need of a re-shim. hope you get sorted squires coming soon :lol: :lol: :lol:
THE ORIGINAL TARMAC TERRORIST

Z1000S !! Z1R Z810 [ project ] FZR 1000 RU KTM SXF 250 / 08 R6 and my dog zak.???

Z1OC # 886 till 2026

mikey
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: mikey » Sat May 16, 2009 1:01 pm

Cheers guys thats the one thing i aint checked is inlet rubbers, and piggy checked valve clearences all ok there and ive been following that flat tracker build in classic bike cant wait to see yours

mikey
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: mikey » Sat May 16, 2009 4:11 pm

Ok went out to it just now to do the wd40 and washing up liquid check and it fired up first touch of the button and ran sweet as a nut no spluttering or backfiring nothing wrong :?? :?? :?? :?? so i done the wd40 and washing up liqiud checks anyway and nothing realy happend, i was looking at my baseball bat :evil: but thought better of it and just walked away from it.

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Sat May 16, 2009 5:46 pm

Mikey,
Like piggy says it does maybe now sound like electrical. Coil/ht lead/ plug cap or maybe a loose connection. Dont suppose you have washed it and water has got in somewhere. Now its finaly dried out its all ok.
If the battery is down this can cause it to misfire etc , then when you turn it off and leave it for a while it does actualy charge itself up a bit and maybe its enough now to start it but after a few mins riding it starts to lose charge,

hope all is ok now though.

mikey
Hardcore
Hardcore

#13 PostAuthor: mikey » Sat May 16, 2009 5:58 pm

Have to have the tank off and have a look i do keep it on an optimiser to keep the battery up, but in saying that the battery was stood all winter after the rear end shunt it suffered at the end of october last year and before that it was running ok, do you think maybe the battery has had it cuz even after being on the optimiser at times its a bit reluctant to turn over from cold.

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Sat May 16, 2009 6:11 pm

batterys can suddenly go awol. If it runs ok now try turning the lights on and see if it starts to splutter etc. if you put a multi meter on the battery it should be over 12volt then go to 14.5 when running. Maybe its not charging properly. The battery on my z1a is ok but not perfect. It starts ok but if i leave the lights on for maybe 2 mins while i'm messing with it it sometimes only turns over slowly and then not enough to start it but starts fine first kick. I have a new combined reg/rect and once running puts enough through the battery (till i get a new one)..

Mate off mine bought a new battery(from a mate in the bike bussiness) for his speedtriple last year. ran ok for a few days but then wouldnt start. This was the night before we were going to ireland on the bikes. Jump start of car and it was ok, had to bumpstart him till we got another battery in ireland next day.So even new ones go bad. (as they say in the good old us of a )

mikey
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: mikey » Sat May 16, 2009 6:38 pm

Cheers floyd i just bought a brand new battery for my GS650 which by coincedence is the same bat as the Z ill swop em over tomorrow see how that works out as im hoping to go to the southwest meet tomorrow.

Return to “Bike Help”