Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Dyna S ignition - Advanced timimg marks

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

maxico

Dyna S ignition - Advanced timimg marks

#1 PostAuthor: maxico » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:34 pm

Fitting Dyna S to Z900. Installation instructions say 'use the advance timing marks which are approximately 1/2 inch to the right of the F marks'.
I dont have any marks, only the pivots of the weights at this position.
Help!!!

Hack
100Club
100Club

#2 PostAuthor: Hack » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:47 pm

Maxico,

I dismantled my Z900 advance unit in order to scribe myself a line at the full advance (40 deg) mark, only to find that there is already a line on the plate behind the weights (really useful), just before the pivot pin. If you carefully remove the spring and weight you will see it but I recommend putting a blob of tippex on the edge of the plate to make it easier to see when timing with a strobe.

Andy

Jeff Saunders
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Jeff Saunders » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:54 am

the z900 uses an ignition advance set for 20 degrees at idle and 40 degrees at full advance. This means the distance between TDC and the F mark is the same as from the F mark to the imaginary full advance mark (which hides behind the pivot point of the advancer weight).

Although I time the bikes to the factory marks to start with, I tend to retard the igntion a couple of degrees to help avoid pinging on older bikes (the result of crappy petrol quality and stretch on the cam chain impacting cam timing).
73 Z1 (turbocharged), a 74 Z1A, and some h***a's and Suzuki's...
www.z1enterprises.com jeff@z1enterprises.com

maxico

#4 PostAuthor: maxico » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:26 pm

Thank You Hack & Jeff.
Removed the weights but could not find a mark on mine.
Resorted to tracing round advance unit and marking 20 degrees from F mark with a Protractor. When the advance unit was laid back on the paper it shows the full advance mark to be very close (circa 0.5mm) within the shoulder of the pivot pin.
I've marked this point and will aim for this at the weekend.

Cheers.

Hack
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Hack » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:00 pm

Maxico,

I was doing exactly what you are doing (marking out with a protractor) when I noticed the 40 deg mark was already there, just before the pivot pin.

If you take a look at the lower example on Jeff's Dyna 'S' page http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=200 you can just see the edge of the mark behind the weight. As Jeff says, it's the same distance clockwise from the "F" mark as the "F" is from the "T" mark

Andy

Return to “Bike Help”