Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z650 F2, fuses and various damaged bits

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

m1ks
100Club
100Club

Z650 F2, fuses and various damaged bits

#1 PostAuthor: m1ks » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi,
I had a bit of an incident with the zed last night, it threw me and pillion off due to a rear tyre leaving the rim, myself and pillion are OK just sore but the bike fared worse.
I got it recovered today and having checked it over for things it needed for rebuild I checked the engine, turned it by hand and OK, tried to fire it on the starter and nothing on the button, checked the fuses and a 20A fuse had blown, I replaced this but it blew again instantly I turned the key.
Wiring loom seems OK, nothing obvious other than LH switchgear, (non standard with only horn and hi beam switch), ruined in the fall, the alternator cover however was badly damaged and upin inspection the magnets of the windings are contacting the flywheel on the rear, could this cause the blowing fuse or should I be looking elsewhere for the fault?
I want to establish the engine runs OK and the frame is straight before I do anything else or buy any more bits, I have another alternator cover on it's way, (hopefully the right one, it's off a 77 and mines an 82F2 so fingers crossed)
Blown fuse ringed in red

steve bowdler
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#2 PostAuthor: steve bowdler » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:32 pm

Sorry to hear about your mishap :( ensure all the wires in the switchgear are not shorting out as my main fuse kept blowing on mine and this was down to the horn wires .

m1ks
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: m1ks » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:45 pm

Thanks, will check that out and try disconnecting the left switchgear, it's useless anyway.

Anyone else with ideas?
I'd like to get a good idea of things to work through.

Big John
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Big John » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:44 pm

I had the same problem only both switchgear were shorting out.Fixing them cured it.
86 Z1100R x 2, z7/11r, ZRX400, Z1000B2, ,ZRX1100C4 & Z1000J3.

m1ks
100Club
100Club

Update

#5 PostAuthor: m1ks » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Located the short today after much headscratching and assistance from electrically minded people I know.
I isolated all the ignition side of things, Stator coil, reg/rec, cdi etc so started looking at the front end.
after lots of looking and removal of headlights etc I noticed the bulb holder for the speedo, (push in sidelight sort), was squashed together, disconnected it and alls working, it fires on the button and sounds good, (other than the mangled stator cover but new one on it's way), headlights not working at the moment but i'll worry about that later.
Thanks all for advice etc.

Return to “Bike Help”