Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Cam Chain Tensioner Issue

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Jhenry
Regular Poster

Cam Chain Tensioner Issue

#1 PostAuthor: Jhenry » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:35 pm

After fixing the tach drive, and many thanks for the replies, I pulled the tensioner due to what I assumed was oil seeping from the gasket area. When I pulled it and cleaned the accumulated gunk off of it I noticed a lengthways crack in the body, on the bottom. The crack is fairly straight, hairline in nature, and runs from about half an inch from the small end to just before the bottom attachment bolt hole. My assumption is at some point during my ownership, 24 years, or before someone (or myself) overtightened the stop screw and started a crack which has become worse over time. I disassembled the tensioner and screwed the stop screw in enough to widen the crack just a bit, and cleaned it out with aerosol brake cleaner. I worked JB Weld into it with a scalpel tip, and released the tension therby closing the crack. Used more JB Weld to cover the outside. I have no doubt the leak is probably fixed, the question is whether or not the stop screw will pop it back open. My question the the assembled is this, would leaving the tensioner press inward with the strength of the internal spring and not utilizing the stop screw create unwanted or damaging wear. It would seem too be then acting as an automatic cam chain tensioner.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:39 pm

DO NOT just rely on the spring to keep tension :shock:

If the chain goes slack whilst running, odds-on, it'll jump a tooth or more & thats a new set of valves :cry:

If it was me, I'd replace the tensioner... they come up quite reasonably priced on eBay.... :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Jhenry
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: Jhenry » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:19 pm

Thanks, will do.

hillbilly
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: hillbilly » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:53 pm

i might have one somewere,have to find it out. :wink:
push me shuv you.sez who sez me.
owing p.u.m. (76 z1b)(v reg z1r)

chrispyduck
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: chrispyduck » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:15 pm

I got a spare one in the garage :wink:

The good souls on this forum helped me out a couple of years ago when I had a similar problem :D

Send me your address by pm and I will post it out to you :!:
Fat girls are like M****s, they are fun to ride, you just don`t want your mates to see you.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#6 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:32 pm

Well done Chrispy......... Good Karma heading your way :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Jhenry
Regular Poster

#7 PostAuthor: Jhenry » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:25 am

PM sent to Chrispy. That was very nice and generous of him. I hope I can return the favor to someone here at some point. :D

Return to “Bike Help”