Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z trip to Normandy - June 2013 ?

Keeping Members up-to-date with meetings and events

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

chrisu

Z trip to Normandy - June 2013 ?

#1 PostAuthor: chrisu » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:15 pm

Zs do Normandy

Does anyone fancy riding their Zs around Normandy in June 2013 ?

I’ve had a quick look into this and there is lots to see/do (D Day stuff etc) plus some nice roads to ride.

Portsmouth ferry to/from Caen is about £140 per person (inc bike). B&B in Arromanche(which is bike friendly and only 20 miles from the ferry) is £55 per room per night (sleeps 2 or 3). Close to town/pubs/bar/museum/mulberry harbour....

http://www.normandybeach.co.uk/index.htm

Given the revived Skegness run is 2nd June I thought weekend of 15th/16th would be suitable. Ferry out Thursday or Friday afternoon and ferry back Sunday afternoon but its pretty flexible.

Anybody seriously interested can you let me know.

Paul M
100Club
100Club

#2 PostAuthor: Paul M » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Chris

Ive been many times and to be honest a weekend would not do it all justice.

Arromanche is a good place, its got a cracking museum and the Mulberry harbour is near.

The American Cemetary at Colleville is a stunning place to visit to just walk around and take it all in, just blows you away. The opening scenes to Saving Private Ryan where filmed there and they have three Medal of Honour Recipients buried including Theodore Roosevelt Jr.

I would love to do this but unfortunatly i'm out the country then.

Brilliant suggestion though.
Unlike Baseball,Football,Basketball & Golf, Motorcycling Requires Two Balls!

Verseys 1000 GT Z1B & 2 Black Labs

bunnysZ
Granny Magnet

#3 PostAuthor: bunnysZ » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:55 pm

count me in.
i am in amsterdam wed night back thurs, so fri is best for me
zed the best ride of your life ...... so far

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Those D-Day landing beaches & military cemetery's are very, very humbling places. If you've never been you should.
I went about 5 years ago on the way back from LeMans, Five grown men & we all had 'leaky eyes'. :cry:

Sorry Chris, I can't make it, but I know this will be an amazing weekend, good luck with it. :up

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

nigel bessant
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: nigel bessant » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:56 pm

I totally agree GB, the war graves are a shocking reminder of the amount of KIA'd. The German cemetery is a grim place, no special treatment given and the minimal of maintenance. Very sad.
Visiting the beaches and artillery batteries is quite haunting. Museums are fantastic.

Excellent suggestion Chris and one well worth doing, unfortunately, I don't think my bike will be ready to ride until June 2014 judging by the rate of progress, but good luck with organising the trip and it should go very well.

buzzard
100Club
100Club

d day beaches

#6 PostAuthor: buzzard » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Done the D-Day beaches etc, went 7 years on the trot,starting on the 60th anniversary and the 65th, the only time to really go is 6th June. Meeting veterans there is a privilege. Don't forget Pegasus Bridge, top place. Didn't go this year but planning to go 2014, 70th anniversary,probably the last big one. Buzzard.
Every man should have a shed (for bikes obviously..)

chrisu

#7 PostAuthor: chrisu » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:38 pm

Dave,

Went there this year over 6th June.

Great to meet vets but roads were rammed

buzzard
100Club
100Club

d day

#8 PostAuthor: buzzard » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:16 pm

Chris, agree about traffic, but the worst thing is parking!!! Still a good place to go, bikes is probably the best option. St Mere Eglise is also good and the American cemetery at Coalville sur mere is moving but remember the British cemetery at Bayeux, 6000 British buried there. Buzzard.
Every man should have a shed (for bikes obviously..)

Paul M
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: Paul M » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:45 pm

Chris, sorry for hijacking your thread but i know a few of the guys on here are into this subject.

Got a good mate called Carl Shilleto who's an author and has several books out about Normandy, he's also a battlefield guide and occasionaly does work for Leger Travel in Normandy. Carl,myself and a few other's took an ex-para by the name of Harry Sellers back to Normandy a few years ago, he was there on D-day at Pegasus Bridge it was a most humbling experience, the sight of Harry sat with Madame Gondree who was a little girl the last time he saw her outside the cafe drinking his free coffee with her is something i'll never forget.
Harry was awarded the "Legion De Honor" and every where we went he was surrounded by crowds wanting to shake his hand, and at times it got a bit too much for him. Carl has got a website underway at the moment that might be of interest to some its www.fallenheroesofnormandy.org if you go on the site and scroll down the home page you will see Harry on the left looking at a grave stone at Ranville Cemetary where a lot of his mates are, what you don't see is the big crowd stood behind Carl that took the photo in complete silence watching Harry make his way around and occasionaly dabbing his eyes. Yes, an absolute must to go and visit and i hope you get the interest for this Chris, i know that when you've been once you will want to go again. And let's not forget there where casualties and innocents on all sides.
Unlike Baseball,Football,Basketball & Golf, Motorcycling Requires Two Balls!

Verseys 1000 GT Z1B & 2 Black Labs

phil le brocq
100Club
100Club

z trip to normandy

#10 PostAuthor: phil le brocq » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi, as a new boy here, I have been reading through the posts and raised an eyebrow when I saw this one, having just signed up to a weekend in Normandy with the UK CBX owners club on the 26th - 28th June. We are staying with an English couple who operate under the name 'Bike Normandy'. They own a guest house near Falaise and offer full board, secure undercover bike parking and guided tours of the landing beaches and even meet you off the boat, the best place from the uk I believe is Caen (Brittany Ferries) ) They have a website, could be worth a look.
Phil le Brocq.

chrisu

#11 PostAuthor: chrisu » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:41 pm

thanks Phil - always happy to look at recommendations.

Any more interested parties in joining this ?

If so please let me know.

Cheers...............Chris

hog370
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: hog370 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:08 pm

Hi i'm keen to go on this trip as its my birthday (50th) that weekend and have always wanted to go, only problem is I,m up in the Scottish borders and don't know if any one else up here is going down.

scott
Junior Section leader

#13 PostAuthor: scott » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:13 am

I would really like to go......just across the water for me.....so, ill see if the "war office" wants to go as well

chrisu

#14 PostAuthor: chrisu » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:12 pm

cool - let me know.

I was assuming the more northern members would want a 'stop off' closer to portsmouth.

I'm happy to oblige.

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: Padders » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Can a Harley tag along Chris
PUM 13

Return to “Meetings & Events”