Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

pioneer run epsom to brighton

Keeping Members up-to-date with meetings and events

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

chrisNI
Site Admin

#16 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:56 pm

Some wonderful stuff there - the New Hudson's beautiful. 94 years young... unbelievable.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: Al » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:43 am

Chris, as long as i live i will never get past the fact that the effective blueprint for what we know as motorbikes today was got so very right by people over 100 years ago. Look at modern stuff and everything is still in the same place. (penny farthing aside) Ideas like rake and trail, steering geometry, weight distribution, ground clearance, materials selection etc etc were not lost on engineers of the past who must be regarded as nothing less than visionaries. And it's not as if it was just one manufacturer either, there were literally 'hundreds' of makers all doing essentially the same thing. What an exciting time that must have been for designers and enthusiasts.
Approximately 25% of bikes who finish the run are un-restored! Wooden mudguards and all. They are still using the same wheel spindles, spokes, gaskets, bearings, springs, pistons, cranks etc as they were fitted with when new. Absolutely un-flipping-believeable.
I wished i had snapped the bike with the steam engine in it or the feet first bike with the upholstered leather armchair seat at the half way point. That really gave me food for thought.
There is a palpable sense of achievement which can be felt at the Brighton end and something else that i took to be confirmation that we are all doing the right thing by sharing these experiences through the medium of motorcycles.
Roll on next year and Banbury.

AL
1981 J1

chrisNI
Site Admin

#18 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:14 am

zorded wrote:I wished i had snapped the bike with the steam engine in it

Was this it?

Wouldn't think there's too many of those around. It's the bicycle brakes that are probably the worst thing.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#19 PostAuthor: Al » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:46 am

The very same. Awesome! Where did you snap that? They were loading it into the back of a van when i saw it and was a little awkward to get a proper view. Brakes as you say are probably the main area of improvement from that time, thank god!!!!!!!

AL
1981 J1

chrisNI
Site Admin

#20 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:52 pm

That was at Mallory at the 1000 Bikes in 2006. That was actually the last gallery I updated on the left hand side - it's here
Last edited by chrisNI on Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#21 PostAuthor: paul doran » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:18 pm

some really awesome bike's there
lovely pic's
way too many Zeds

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#22 PostAuthor: Pigford » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:51 pm

Nowt wrong with them brakes.....

My Raleigh Run-a-bout had same at the front, but a drum at the rear :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Return to “Meetings & Events”