Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

z500 Project

Post pictures of your bikes without having to pull them to bits to qualify for Projects. Club eligible Z based bikes only please, anything else should be in the bottom shed.
Please use it wisely and be respectful of other peoples' pride and joy....
olnmfc
Regular Poster

z500 Project

#1 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:22 pm

My project has made some progress after 30 year slumber.. All the electrics are now working(lots of issues including kill switch shorting) and I have had the bike actually running. Clutch was seized, so reassembled that after polishing steel plates. Cleaned up some parts and bleed brakes. News parts so far include rear brake switch, performance coils, engine service kit (oil, filter, spark plugs, air filter), fuel tap rubbers, couple of bulbs, battery. Carbs are I think next thing as not running well and flooding. Tempted to keep this as a rolling project rather than stripping to bare frame altho that does need painted at some stage. Been quoted £400 for painting tank alone which is too much. Front mudguard in process of getting back to nearish bare metal.
Parts needed are left rear footpeg, right front footpeg, left front indictator, headlight mounts.
Attachments
20220324_113804.jpg
Week 2 ish

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: z500 Project

#2 PostAuthor: Philippe » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:31 pm

Hi olnmfc

that looks like a very nice project to me!
I think you'll be able to find the missing parts on evilbay but take care! I've seen parts being offered for a certain type of vehicle that didn't matched that vehicle. So compare before you start spending money!
I can tell you that a lot of the parts you need are the same as those of a Z400J, even the indicators can be used from a Z1000ST, they're the same!
Good luck with your project and keep us informed!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:34 pm

Philippe wrote:Hi olnmfc

that looks like a very nice project to me!
I think you'll be able to find the missing parts on evilbay but take care! I've seen parts being offered for a certain type of vehicle that didn't matched that vehicle. So compare before you start spending money!
I can tell you that a lot of the parts you need are the same as those of a Z400J, even the indicators can be used from a Z1000ST, they're the same!
Good luck with your project and keep us informed!
GrtZ
Philippe

Thanks - you'll see the pics of the condition from when I got it a few weeks ago, in the Wanted forum

deka
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: deka » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:07 pm

that's already shaping up nice one
GPZ1100 A1 zrx1100 gsa1200

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:56 pm

My project is progressing, but after 10 weeks the DVLA have finally confirmed they don't have a record of my registration, so can't issue a Reg Doc & I'll need to get proof that the bike is entitled to the reg - presume a Dating Certificate. Is that something that can be organised through the Forum?
Thanks.

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: steve452 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:36 pm

I got mine through Kawasaki UK. Apparently all the records are held in Japan. It cost me £54.00.

I also got one via the VJMC Dating Service (ooer missus!). Go on to the VJMC website and click the through links to see what evidence they need to provide it. It's quite cheap for PUM's.

Good luck.
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

90% of questions that begin "Why..." can be answered with "Because people are stupid."

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#7 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:07 pm

steve452 wrote:I got mine through Kawasaki UK. Apparently all the records are held in Japan. It cost me £54.00.

I also got one via the VJMC Dating Service (ooer missus!). Go on to the VJMC website and click the through links to see what evidence they need to provide it. It's quite cheap for PUM's.

Good luck.

Great will look into that

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:26 pm

have applied to the VJMC

Current pic for info

Have rebuilt carbs (twice), first time cleaned out but now renewed all jets and float gaskets. But still have number 3 cylinder pushing out fuel through overflow. This only happens when bike is running. After starting and returning to idle, some bubbles of air will come out of overflow pipe into my catch tank followed by some petrol, then it stops for a minute , then same again. Dirt in needle valve? All the floats are about 21mm height (measured from inverting the cards upside down like an LC float measurement not as per the manual as I dont have a float gauge).
Attachments
20220604_190749.jpg

DavidZ1R
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: DavidZ1R » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:20 pm

Levels with a clear tube if I'm not mistaken, just swap the overflow pipe with clear tube, should do the trick.
CB125 GT380 CB750F1 Z1R GPZ 750 Turbo Z1R

DavidZ1R
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: DavidZ1R » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:25 pm

DavidZ1R wrote:Levels with a clear tube if I'm not mistaken, just swap the overflow pipe with clear tube, should do the trick.

It will only leak with engine running because the flow is on from the vacuum tap, sounds like the needle valve is passing. 1.6 size if I'm not mistaken. Should be same as mine
Attachments
20150822_150411.jpg

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#11 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:49 pm

DavidZ1R wrote:Levels with a clear tube if I'm not mistaken, just swap the overflow pipe with clear tube, should do the trick.

Cheers - I'd think drain valve not overflow, but you need a special adapter for that.

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#12 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:51 pm

DavidZ1R wrote:

It will only leak with engine running because the flow is on from the vacuum tap, sounds like the needle valve is passing. 1.6 size if I'm not mistaken. Should be same as mine

Yup I guess its off with the carbs again, at least my rubbers are getting a bit more supple with all this fingering..

DavidZ1R
Hardcore
Hardcore

#13 PostAuthor: DavidZ1R » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:03 pm

olnmfc wrote:

Cheers - I'd think drain valve not overflow, but you need a special adapter for that.

If I remember right, when you undo the drain screw the fuel runs out the overflow tube, stick a bit of clear tube on the overflow tube see if you can check the fuel level.

Big Fluff
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: Big Fluff » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:51 pm

Some vacuum taps can be converted by putting the diaphragm spring on the opposite side of the diaphragm and blanking off the vacuum take-off point on the carb rubber.

Vacuum taps are now one of the biggest problems we are now faced with, now that we have the utter piss that they call petrol containing the devils blood, ethanol. :evil:
The last 2 bikes through my workshop have both had vacuum fuel tap failures and filled the engine with the entire contents of the fuel tank.
Do yourself a big favour and convert over to a fully manual tap now.
Best regards, Will.
Kawasaki GPz750T, Kawasaki ZRX1100R, Kawasaki GPZ1000RX, H**** VF1000RG Rothmans, H**** VF500F2F, H**** CB1100RD, Suzuki GSX1100EFE, H**** XL125K2

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#15 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:08 am

Big Fluff wrote:Some vacuum taps can be converted by putting the diaphragm spring on the opposite side of the diaphragm and blanking off the vacuum take-off point on the carb rubber.

Vacuum taps are now one of the biggest problems we are now faced with, now that we have the utter piss that they call petrol containing the devils blood, ethanol. :evil:
The last 2 bikes through my workshop have both had vacuum fuel tap failures and filled the engine with the entire contents of the fuel tank.
Do yourself a big favour and convert over to a fully manual tap now.
Best regards, Will.

Good point - although I just use Super unleaded anyway.

Return to “Show us Yours”