Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z650 rebuild.

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Crofty
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Z650 rebuild.

#1 PostAuthor: Crofty » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:30 pm

Thought I would post something, now that my frame and other bits are back from powder coating. Braved the snow and went over to pick the stuff up this morning and got it into the shed before it started blizzarding again.
Started fitting a few things and managed to get head races in, rear s/a bearings and a few rubbers. really need to get valves shimmed so I can motor in before I do anything else.
Heres some pics.
Frame
Top race installed.
Electrics bracket having threads cleaned.
Rear swingarm bearings pressed in.
Last edited by Crofty on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: mick znone » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:59 am

hope you have a heater in that garage Crofty, im thinking of a z650 myself, i shall watch this one, frames looking good.
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

Crofty
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: Crofty » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 am

No heater Mick, just a Rab down jacket. It would be like setting fire to pound notes with all the draughts. Looking at nailing a rubber strip along lower of door edge. Plenty of bits available for 650s, except for some engine parts like o/s pistons, unless you go Wiseco. The cost of bottom end bearings and std size piston rings is astronomical, unless someone knows something I don't, Jim
Last edited by Crofty on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

v70z650
new poster

#4 PostAuthor: v70z650 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi Crofty

Just thought that I would post a reply as I am just starting a z650 rebuild myself (+ GPz750 engine, wheels). I have a couple of pictures on the 'New Here' thread (see link below) and will be starting a project page in due course (as soon as the weather improves enough to get back in the garage). Maybe keep in touch for help, tips, screams of frustration etc.

http://www.z1ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vie ... ht=#112685

Rob
- v70z650: [Gallery] [Project Page] -

Crofty
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: Crofty » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi Rob, your bike looked pretty good pre rebuild, but aware of the finer detail things like rusty bolts, perished rubber. A bike sure is a lot more than frame, forks, wheels and an engine. I have been keeping warm in the shed today by filing the letters off stainless bolts and sanding them smooth. For less than £20, I fitted out most of the frame stuff (less long engine bolts), mudguard bolts, front fork lower cap nuts and a few more like chain adjuster bolts etc. I will keep an eye out for your posts and don't hesitate to ask any questions, I am still learning about 650s, did a Z900A4 up in the late 80's though.

Electrics mounted with stainless bolts. and I know the wires are poked through the wrong direction after looking in manual
Front forks with stainless nuts and bolts.
Jim

v70z650
new poster

#6 PostAuthor: v70z650 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:54 pm

Looks like you are doing some great work Jim and you have my full admiration for getting into the shed in the current weather. Will keep in touch.
- v70z650: [Gallery] [Project Page] -

Crofty
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: Crofty » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:11 pm

Current heat wave conditions have meant a bit more time spent in shed. Managed to paint handlebar switch gear housings, been cleaning the gold paint off the mags, filing and polishing more stainless bolts. Made up a under seat splashtray to allow removal of rear m/guard. shrinkwrapped the dynacoils brass spacers. Rebuit the calipers and front forks. Philpots did as great job of rechroming the old tubes. Today went over to platers and picked up first lot of oddments that got zinc plated. Just a few pics to show. Crofty

Caliper rebuilt

Painted switch housing.

Master cylinder window with watch glass sealed in.

Taffus

#8 PostAuthor: Taffus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:16 pm

Good progress mate!

GUYZED
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#9 PostAuthor: GUYZED » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:21 pm

Looking good there Crofty...keep the pics coming.
OLD ZED'S NEVER DIE THEY JUST GO FASTER...
Z1000A2 Z650B1

1beelee
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: 1beelee » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:46 pm

great job well done.
Z1b,Z1000r,KR1S,husky wr250 bog surfer
"turned out nice again"

Crofty
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#11 PostAuthor: Crofty » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:03 pm

Progress has slowed a bit, as I wait for the chrome stuff to come back. I was told it would take 8 to 10 weeks. Seems like a long time, but the stuff they showed me looked good and they have done stuff for Rolls Royce.

http://www.allenchrome.com/aboutus.html

They were very quick on turnaround for the zinc stuff I had done, but thats easy stuff for them.

I have done the footrests.
The wheels are back in black.

Crofty
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#12 PostAuthor: Crofty » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:08 pm

I have rewired the left hand switch to suit UK horn/pass button.

and resealed the master cylinder window in using a crystal watch glass. I blanked off the outlet and filled it with brake fluid and its held fluid with no weeps for over two weeks. I also sourced a old m/c with a pitted bore and cut the old window free (so I have a spare now).

Crofty
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#13 PostAuthor: Crofty » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:13 pm

The speedo and rev counter have been respayed black and the mount bracket powder coated, new bulbs and stainless fasteners.

I have pulled the top end off the motor, which I am glad I did. The bore was not in good condition and luckily I have a spare set, which are being honed today, before I get a fin welded and then off to vapourblasters.

Redbeard
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#14 PostAuthor: Redbeard » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Really impressive work, its going to look great when its complete. Did you paint the wheels yourself? If so, any pointers as i'm going to repaint mine and they're basically the same as yours. Many thanks.
1979 Z1000ST

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:28 pm

looking good jim,
When i rebuilt me z1a i put the bits i had just picked up from the powder coaters on the kitchen table, i thought i'd try the swing arm in the frame to see what it looked like, 4 days later i had to get a mate round to help me lift it off the kitchen table and carry it into the garage :ooops as all it needed was the wheels and engine etc putting on, Was nice and warm in the kitchen though.
Z1b,
zxr750 m2,
zrx1200
Z1000j lawson race bike,
Versys 1000gt (2019),
Gsxr750H.

Return to “Projects”