Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1R Resurrection

Work in Progress

Moderators: KeithZ1R, chrisu, paul doran, Taffus

The Living Zed
Regular Poster

Re: Z1R Resurrection

#16 PostAuthor: The Living Zed » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:44 pm

IMG_0072.JPG

Looks a little bit better. What are the little white dot stickers on the chain cover you may well be wondering.
IMG_0083.JPG

How it came out
IMG_0084.JPG

Half way through cleaning up

gpjes
100Club
100Club

#17 PostAuthor: gpjes » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:04 am

Tha's a genieas, go on whats the dots for, hows the bearings ont crank? I see drive chains gone scwing at some point, a good reference for us all, you obviously have access to some great people to get stuff done, me, well I used to, gone are the days of easy to get bits, so make do and mend :D
More Smiles Per Mile

The Living Zed
Regular Poster

#18 PostAuthor: The Living Zed » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:25 pm

The bearings are all fine. The engine ran well before I stripped it, apart from the head and barrels being worn.
So, about the little white dots. They’re targets for a 3D optical digitizer. Basically it’s a scanner. The scanner takes scans of an object all round all over, just like taking pictures. The software recognises the white dots and as long as there are at least 3 dots from a previous scan the software can link the scans together and create a “cloud of points” that represents the surface of the object and it’s accurate to about ±0.01mm. Then the software can join the points to make a “wire mesh” of the surface. This is then exported as an STL file that can be used to create 3D solid CAD models which can then be used to create CNC programmes for machining the object or for tooling to make the object. It’s reverse engineering.
Check out:

https://www.gom.com/metrology-systems/a ... -scan.html

The Living Zed
Regular Poster

#19 PostAuthor: The Living Zed » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:40 pm

These are the scans I got. Unfortunately the tank's a bit battered and I don't work there anymore.
Fairing 1_standard.jpg

test 2_standard.jpg

cc_standard.jpg

Return to “Projects”