Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Got me a Z1b (ish)!

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#61 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm

Simon,

Is it worth removing the offending brace & have it relocated a bit further from the exhaust to save this greif in the future :?

Taffus

#62 PostAuthor: Taffus » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:32 pm

Ginger Bear wrote:Simon,

Is it worth removing the offending brace & have it relocated a bit further from the exhaust to save this greif in the future :?

or you could use 1000j/GPz exhaust collars without fins :wink:

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

#63 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:30 pm

Guys, yes both possibilities. I would be dubious about cutting the strengthening braces out and welding a sleeve back on in case it weakens the integrity of the original tube. I don't really know enough about it to be honest.......and if I was going to do that, would it be worth removing the one in the middle and refitting the original airbox...?

Using different (finless) collars might be an easier option? It's not like I'm going for complete originality...

I'll have to sort it out before getting the frame coated so will have to make a decision pretty soon. It would be easier with the engine in situ but will have to take plenty of reference photos instead.

Whatever happens, the damned exhaust will be coming off tomorrow!! :)

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

#64 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Making progress.

The dirty stage!

Engine OUT!

Ready to go!

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#65 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:58 pm

Engine deliverd to DogsBollocks....... Look forward to that 'pint' Simon!!

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

#66 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:23 pm

Ginger Bear wrote:Engine deliverd to DogsBollocks....... Look forward to that 'pint' Simon!!

Thanks Steve. I think I owe you more than one!

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

#67 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Stripped most of the remaining bits this evening. Made two decisions.

1. Definitely won't start any more projects until this one is finished. Come across loads of little niggles already, mainly due to mods done by previous owner so it isn't going to be a straightforward rebuild. Latest thing, the modified rear brake pedal hanger seems to have been welded on with the pedal in place - no way of removing it without resorting to an angle grinder.

2. Definitely going to buy a hydraulic workbench, my knees are getting too old for all this!

Next think is to clean up the really dirty parts then get them sent off for chroming/polishing/powder coating. Mikey, expect a call from me soon!

phil churchett
Hardcore
Hardcore

#68 PostAuthor: phil churchett » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:22 pm

Simon, is it worth locating a frame, that hasn't been modified?
This would save you having to make compromises, eg; airbox.
Four pipes rule, anything else is second best.

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

#69 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:27 pm

phil churchett wrote:Simon, is it worth locating a frame, that hasn't been modified?
This would save you having to make compromises, eg; airbox.

That has crossed my mind Phil, just don't know how easy it will be to find one? And I do quite like the idea of a braced frame just wish they weren't in such awkward places! I might post something in the wanted section and see if anything comes up?

phil churchett
Hardcore
Hardcore

#70 PostAuthor: phil churchett » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:39 pm

It shouldn't be too difficult to turn one up. There are frame bracing kits available, [pmc do them i think] and shouldn't interfere with the aiir box fitting. I am sure someone on here can help with doing your own bracing.
Try a wanted ad for a frame, see what comes up, it's worth a try.
Four pipes rule, anything else is second best.

mikey
Hardcore
Hardcore

#71 PostAuthor: mikey » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:52 pm

coldsummer wrote:Stripped most of the remaining bits this evening. Made two decisions.

1. Definitely won't start any more projects until this one is finished. Come across loads of little niggles already, mainly due to mods done by previous owner so it isn't going to be a straightforward rebuild. Latest thing, the modified rear brake pedal hanger seems to have been welded on with the pedal in place - no way of removing it without resorting to an angle grinder.

2. Definitely going to buy a hydraulic workbench, my knees are getting too old for all this!

Next think is to clean up the really dirty parts then get them sent off for chroming/polishing/powder coating. Mikey, expect a call from me soon!

Looking forward to it simon
Making the world a shiny place with a factory finish

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#72 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:33 am

Simon,

From what I've seen the bracing on your frame does seem a bit of a 'home design'. Looks like someone has welded in a few tubes where they thought best. (hence the exhaust problems!) I have a 'proper' frame bracing kit & instructions if you want to have a look & see how it should be done.
It would be good to decide what you want to do framewise & get the frame sorted now. There is nothing worse than carrying on with your build thinking, 'I wish I'd done this' or 'I wish I'd done that'
I think it is still worth investigating the possibility of having the existing bracing removed. Although a clean replacement frame would be even better.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#73 PostAuthor: Pigford » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:14 pm

GB says:
I have a 'proper' frame bracing kit & instructions

Hey GB...... any chance of running it thru a scanner & posting it on here :?:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

brian 450
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#74 PostAuthor: brian 450 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:50 pm

Here you go Image You can remove your bracing if you are careful with a grinder and a sanding wheel it's easy i removed bracing in my headstock a previous owner atempted to do (see my thread trick Z1000) Hope this helps you.

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

#75 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:26 pm

Maybe I'll think about removing some of the bracing? The rear brake pedal pivot mount is more of a problem to me, have to think about it.

Return to “Projects”