Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Well here it is....

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#61 PostAuthor: paul doran » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:29 pm

Kev that bike look's superb well done
way too many Zeds

Ed Z1-R
Hardcore
Hardcore

#62 PostAuthor: Ed Z1-R » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:52 am

Kev i like the bike good on ya mate :up

RALPHARAMA
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#63 PostAuthor: RALPHARAMA » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:21 pm

You should be proud; she looks great!
Ralph Ferrand
Z1000A1 (1977), Godier Genoud Z1300A5 (1983), Z900A4 Stock (1976), Z900A4 Special (project), GPZ1100 Unitrak (1983), ZRX1200R (2004) DT175MX (1981).

http://www.bikerstoolbox.co.uk

Don't be caught out http://www.dhlparcels.info/

uk kev
ZedHead
ZedHead

#64 PostAuthor: uk kev » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:07 pm

So I was wrong Ok

This thread isn't finished yet, as there seems to be more to be done, well I guess I knew it wouldn't be that easy.

So Cyd, my Z1000 has been on the road a week now, and things are showing up that need to be fixed, apart that is from the bits I knew that needed fixing, but alas the list is growing, and as of todays ride out looks like this.

The mis-fire is getting worse, so first thing this morning I pulled the tank and found a split in the vacuum hose feeding the fuel tap, so that was changed, but made no difference.
Next I emptied the tank, and stripped cleaned and rebuilt the fuel tap again, just to be sure, that also made no difference, also while it was off I tried to find the non existent tank breather that these tanks don't have :? so I also know that can't be blocked, coz it aint there. so tank all back together and re-fitted, still no difference.
Next I took it to two different mechanics for their perusal of the problem, first said carbs, second said ignition, so not much help there there then. :roll:
I think I will try some different carbs this week, just to isolate the problem, so watch this space.
I mentioned elsewhere that I suspect my speedo drive to have gone, so back home I pulled the speedo cable, to check if it really is the speedo drive at fault, I then connected the speedo cable to an electric drill, and the speedo works, so I do need a new drive, and a new cable too, as the one fitted is well past it's best. I also noticed that the trip meter doesn't work, and can't be re-set from the wheel, not a big deal, but I like to re-set mine at every fuel stop, so I like it to work.
Next I checked over all the electrical connectors in a vain attempt to try to cure the mis-fire, and I noticed that I have a Mitsubishi rectifier fitted, were these a standard part, as it looks like original wiring?

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#65 PostAuthor: Rich » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:32 pm

Your tank breather will be through the fuel cap, there should be a little hole on the inside bit leading to atmosphere.
Rich
diplomacy is a form of art - I was never any good at art

bunnysZ
Granny Magnet

#66 PostAuthor: bunnysZ » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:33 pm

kev checked the 77 and the 78 z1000 in the gge and they both have the mistubushi rectifier , so i would say yes that is original.
I think it is the carbs

uk kev
ZedHead
ZedHead

#67 PostAuthor: uk kev » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:48 am

A Dyna-S has been procured

Unfortunatley not from Jeff as they are out of stock at this time, but I did get one from the US, off of e-bay, and with any luck and a trailing wind it may reach me before the Rally at the weekend? we shall see.

my spelling is crap :roll:

uk kev
ZedHead
ZedHead

#68 PostAuthor: uk kev » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:53 pm

How great is the strong pound right now

Just had a postal delivery, my new Dyna-S. I am so looking forward to fitting this.
?77.42 from the US, to my door, and no duty.
How sweet is that.

Another step in the right direction.

uk kev
ZedHead
ZedHead

#69 PostAuthor: uk kev » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:05 pm

Well that's the Dyna-S fitted

It went far to easily I think, especially as it is Friday 13th :shock: I just have to time it up tomorrow, as I have neither a static, nor a strobe light to do it now.

bunnysZ
Granny Magnet

#70 PostAuthor: bunnysZ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:21 pm

thats good news kev , if all goes well and you want to give it a good run we are off to the great uffley show leaving about 12 from hemel hempstead. give us a call

uk kev
ZedHead
ZedHead

#71 PostAuthor: uk kev » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:43 am

Cheng Shin.

To get an MOT on my Zed, I had to have a new front tyre, and as I always change the tube when fitting a new tyre, I had that done at the same time.
The tube supplied with my new Bridgestone was a Cheng Shin heavy duty, but today I had a flat, no puncture but a leaky valve, so we pulled the old valve and fitted a new shiney one.
But I thought you should see the "new" one that I removed, so check your valves when fitting new tubes.

uk kev
ZedHead
ZedHead

#72 PostAuthor: uk kev » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:36 pm

The accelerator pump

What does it do?

I have bought a set of 28mm carbs, that I have an idea were fitted originally with an accelerator pump, but now seem devoid of the said item. So what I need to know is, will they work Ok without the pump fitted? As apart from the pump itself, they seem much the same as normal carbs that don't have the pump, apart from the brass tube in the intake throat.

I am getting fed up with this whole carb situation, I am now on my third set of e-bay carbs, and my fourth set overall, all of which have been junk. in fact it is five sets if you include the ones that came with the bike. I did toy with the idea of buying a set of Kiehin's from Zed power, but they said the ones they sell are not really suitable for general road use. So I am at a loss of what to do next.
Maybe it's time to talk to wired George.

cra-z1

#73 PostAuthor: cra-z1 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:50 am

Nice looking bike. E-bay can come in very handy at times. Makes rebuilding alot easier than it used to be. Just have to be selective at times.

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#74 PostAuthor: Rich » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:27 pm

"So what I need to know is, will they work Ok without the pump fitted?
Probably not
As apart from the pump itself, they seem much the same as normal carbs that don't have the pump, apart from the brass tube in the intake throat.
I think you'd better posta pic......

Oh I do love this colour thingy.....anyway to get back to your dilema! They probably won't work as accelerator pumps are designed to give a squirt of fuel when cracking open the throttle to counteract the "lean burn" required for US emmision control. Personally I would aviod the things and look for a good set of 29mm s/bores if you are going to keep it.
Rich
diplomacy is a form of art - I was never any good at art

uk kev
ZedHead
ZedHead

#75 PostAuthor: uk kev » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:58 am

Real progress this weekend...

Well I seem to have made some real progress this weekend, and although the Zed is still not quite right, it is heaps better than it has been, and I feel the end is now somewhere close by.

I have changed a few bits for new, but I have one more part to order and fit, so let me explain. Having fitted the new Dyna-s, I thought I may as well go the whole hog and fit Dyna coils (green's) and a new set of ignition wires as well, I also bid on and won a new old stock Advance unit from a place in Canada, and as that also turned up on Saturday it seemed right to fit that as well.
Mounting the coils was easy in itself, but the screw heads are too big and so I got a short to the mounting stud spacer, so I had to remove them again and cover the studs in insulating tape, this seems a bodge to me and could so easily be sorted at the manufacturing stage by having the screw holes offset.
Next I removed the ignition plate and the auto advance unit, only to find the new one is slightly different, but also not the same as the "old" version that is showed in the Z1-enterprises page. I did however find that one os the springs on my original unit was very week so could this be part of the cause of the very lumpy running and mis-firing? So I removed the springs from the new unit and fitted them to my old unit, and visa-versa, but the springs are much stronger, and a little shorter, and I wonder if this will be a problem, as the old springs when fitted in the new advance unit really slop about.
Anyway I timed the bike back up, and took her for a run, and apart from a small mis-fire and a bit of back firing she runs way better than before, ticks over nice, and strong acceleration. So I have booked her in to my local Zed guru to have the carbs looked at again, I will also get them to check the valve timing, and I am going to order a correct advancer unit from zed-power on Monday.
Well that's the story so far, I will get there, just a little fed up missing the little summer we are getting.

Return to “Projects”