Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Zed 900 road racer - Updated with fixed links.

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

martinz1000r
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#391 PostAuthor: martinz1000r » Fri May 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Rob, I just checked mine and it's exactly the same as yours. Fancy making up another spacer in exchange for beer vouchers? I have hardly run the thing hence not noticing any charging issues (battery lives on a Lithium Optimiser).

I have a Moto Gadget speedo on the Moto Martin. It was great but when I washed the bike with a hose the speedo reverted to Km/h rather than mph and I am buggered if I can work out how to switch it back!
Z1000R, Moto Martin GPz, z900 A4 Crosby Replica, Harris Magnum 2, Suzuki GSXR 1100 Slabbie, SP1 Hoonda x 2, Katana 1100, Bimota SB6R and Tuatara

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#392 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:56 am

martinz1000r wrote:Rob, I just checked mine and it's exactly the same as yours. Fancy making up another spacer in exchange for beer vouchers? I have hardly run the thing hence not noticing any charging issues (battery lives on a Lithium Optimiser).

I have a Moto Gadget speedo on the Moto Martin. It was great but when I washed the bike with a hose the speedo reverted to Km/h rather than mph and I am buggered if I can work out how to switch it back!

I would really need the bike or the entire alt to work off as your 'J' version mount might be slightly different and the spacer needed a different thickness.
From my dealings with Electrex nothing is as simple as it seems and it might be simpler finding someone local to sort yours out if it needs it.
I haven't had the bike back out yet due to the weather but it does appear that the voltage across the battery is peaking at much lower revs and hits over 14v easily whereas before it would need quite high revs to get that.
I'll only know for sure once I've had it out for another long run.

I haven't got round to fitting my Moto gadget yet as I need to make a new mount etc but it came with German instructions.
I have found the English version pdf but it isn't much better ,as far as I can tell you need to press the mode button for one second to get the speed menu to display and you can change to MPH from there.

martinz1000r
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#393 PostAuthor: martinz1000r » Sat May 10, 2014 10:11 am

zed1015 wrote:
martinz1000r wrote:Rob, I just checked mine and it's exactly the same as yours. Fancy making up another spacer in exchange for beer vouchers? I have hardly run the thing hence not noticing any charging issues (battery lives on a Lithium Optimiser).

I would really need the bike or the entire alt to work off as your 'J' version mount might be slightly different and the spacer needed a different thickness.
From my dealings with Electrex nothing is as simple as it seems and it might be simpler finding someone local to sort yours out if it needs it.
I haven't had the bike back out yet due to the weather but it does appear that the voltage across the battery is peaking at much lower revs and hits over 14v easily whereas before it would need quite high revs to get that.
I'll only know for sure once I've had it out for another long run.

I haven't got round to fitting my Moto gadget yet as I need to make a new mount etc but it came with German instructions.
I have found the English version pdf but it isn't much better ,as far as I can tell you need to press the mode button for one second to get the speed menu to display and you can change to MPH from there.

Rob, it's on the Z900 so old style casings, same as yours. I have the analogue speedo they do and even with English instructions getting the right mode is causing grief. It's got too many functions!
Z1000R, Moto Martin GPz, z900 A4 Crosby Replica, Harris Magnum 2, Suzuki GSXR 1100 Slabbie, SP1 Hoonda x 2, Katana 1100, Bimota SB6R and Tuatara

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#394 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 am

Hey Rob,

Any pictures or comments on the motto gadget stuff?
I have been looking at their gear for my project, it looks good but a bit expensive.
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#395 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:41 am

Is Vic There wrote:Hey Rob,

Any pictures or comments on the motto gadget stuff?
I have been looking at their gear for my project, it looks good but a bit expensive.

The Motogadget speedo is in the previous pics and is perfect.
I should have bought one in the first place instead of the crappy Danmoto item.
The Motogadget was nearly twice the price at £180 but you get 10 times the quality and it's very accurate and easy to set up.
Last edited by zed1015 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#396 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:49 am

I take it has a red LED display, just had a look on their web site.
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#397 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:56 am

Yes! red LED display.
Easy to read and "Motogadget" scrolls across the screen when you switch it on.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#398 PostAuthor: Pigford » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:42 pm

ACEWELL is also good kit - the chap that runs it is very helpful indeed.
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Zomerset Zed
100Club
100Club

#399 PostAuthor: Zomerset Zed » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:53 am

Great project you have here and I have learnt much reading through it from start to finish. Stripping off the anodizing, shrink wrap over the cyl studs, to name a couple. So a big thanks for all that information
:D

Re. digital instruments, I have use Trailtech Vapor units on 3 bikes now and can thoroughly recommend and they are CHEAP! But the quality is there. The speedos work very well and accurately, but the tacho is shite. Never got one to work well as it seems to pick up noise from the HV side of the bike electrics.

They are designed for off road bikes, but I have used on a road bike too. Mine had configurable idiot lights, temp gauge etc.

http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#400 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:59 pm

Zomerset Zed wrote:Great project you have here and I have learnt much reading through it from start to finish. Stripping off the anodizing, shrink wrap over the cyl studs, to name a couple. So a big thanks for all that information
:D

Re. digital instruments, I have use Trailtech Vapor units on 3 bikes now and can thoroughly recommend and they are CHEAP! But the quality is there. The speedos work very well and accurately, but the tacho is shite. Never got one to work well as it seems to pick up noise from the HV side of the bike electrics.

They are designed for off road bikes, but I have used on a road bike too. Mine had configurable idiot lights, temp gauge etc.

http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/

I have a Vapor trailtech on my Drouin A2 and although ok it can be a bit inconsistent.
The Motogadget though is in a different league and even at almost twice the price it is ten times the quality.
For all the problems i've had with various digi speedos the Motogadget will be the one I stick with on future projects.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Zed 900 road racer .

#401 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:46 pm

Just been through all this thread and replaced all the missing Photobucket images so they can be seen by anyone again..(done the same with the Drouin and Orient Express threads too)
Added a few "proper" pics here too that were taken by MDM for SF.
326_zpsalthulgk.jpg

252_zpszlrrbeyt.jpg

316_zpsmwprixun.jpg

253_zpscui0m6h4.jpg

241_zpszcshiyed.jpg

186_zps9ouv1g1q.jpg

Return to “Projects”