Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Zed 900 road racer - Updated with fixed links.

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#376 PostAuthor: Padders » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:44 pm

Excellent Rob
PUM 13

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

#377 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:06 am

Not bad Rob as far as engineering goes but I think you could have paid more attention to the finish. It looks a bit 'home-made' to me.

That's a joke by the way. It's perfection in a way that I can only dream of.

weaver
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#378 PostAuthor: weaver » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:38 am

excellent,looking forward to he next one :)

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#379 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:56 am

THOUGHTS
Up early this morning to track down the charging gremlin.
Lith battery on charge overnight and showing 13v but still not fully charged (should show 14.2 ish resting according to Shorai's booklet )
Switch on ign with dyna disconnected and get no voltage draw so no breaks or shorts in the minimal harness.
Reconnect the dyna live feed and the battery voltage drops like a stone within seconds.
Start the bike and the system shows charge with voltage going back up to around 12v.

Now throw on a motobatt I had sitting around that shows 12.5v and with ign on it only drops a couple of volts and stays there.
Start the bike and voltage goes up to 12.95 volts steady and upwards to 14 ish when revved.

My guess is that one or more of the lith cells are buggered but not sure why it just died on me yesterday after many hours running and the charging system working ???

Gonna go back to basics and shove the motobatt in the tail sideways wrapped in foam and see what happens :roll:
Last edited by zed1015 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redbeard
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#380 PostAuthor: Redbeard » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:42 am

You're probably right as the only variable is the battery itself. The end result is fantastic by the way, I've thoroughly enjoyed following the build.

felix
Regular Poster

#381 PostAuthor: felix » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:35 pm

Nice feekin bike,enjoyed the thread :D :D :D

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#382 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:32 pm

Charging problem all sorted now with the Motobatt stuffed in the tail..
Lithium battery was a duffer.
Rang the supplier who instantly offered a full refund for both the battery and charger and was shocked when they said to chuck the battery in the bin and just return the charger :shock:
Obviously a common occurrence with these and I wouldn't recommend going near one again.

Went out for another 80 mile blast today and I've got to say that it runs and rides like a modern sports bike, gobsmacked with how it handles considering the mishmash of parts, it's rock solid in the turns and there are now no chicken strips left on the tyres, I could get in to a lot of trouble on this and wish I was a few years younger (and lighter) to take full advantage of it :D

sanderz
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#383 PostAuthor: sanderz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:48 pm

Result :up Been an inspiration and an education this project, absolute top job .......get out there while the suns here :wink:
Wots up DOHC

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#384 PostAuthor: Pigford » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:33 am

Rob - you're fast becoming a LEGEND :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#385 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:43 am

Pigford wrote:Rob - you're fast becoming a LEGEND :wink:

2nd that :D
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#386 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:54 am

Pigford wrote:Rob - you're fast becoming a LEGEND :wink:

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion you are pronouncing that LEG - END :lol:

Fil
100Club
100Club

#387 PostAuthor: Fil » Tue May 06, 2014 7:38 pm

Saw this at the weekend. Looks real nice in the flesh.
Nice job Rob.
PUM # 310

Jay1969
Hardcore
Hardcore

#388 PostAuthor: Jay1969 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:55 pm

Well done Rob :brav

Amazing build, would love to see it properly some time.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#389 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:45 pm

Electrex strikes again :(
With my increased vigilance on the charging system after the Lithium battery failure and subsequent 1/2 mile push home i noticed the current battery read only an average of 10 volts after the good run out to the Squires meet on sunday.

On closer inspection of the Electrex alt i noticed that the windings did not sit central over the rotor and when slackened were pulled a full 6mm outwards by the magnetic field at which point it sits central over the rotor.

PICT0244.JPG

This can't be good for it's efficiency and is probably the cause for it not kicking out it's maximum charge so i turned up a 6mm spacer to sort it out.
PICT0242_zps4f5c1c29.jpg

Even with the spacer etc loosely slotted on everything sits where it should and i hope there should be an increase in output.
PICT0245.JPG

Not a very good advertisement for the accuracy of Electrex's products but to make things even worse i noticed some oil weepage from the crank seal and on even closer inspection it turned out that the now defunct oil feed hole for the starter clutch needle roller actually sits within the two lips of the oil seal and about a millimetre from spraying its load to the outside world.
If you look close at the pic you can see the shiny ring inboard of the oil hole where the inner lip of the seal sat on the crank nose.
Luckily my spacer solved both problems but at £500 quid for the alt i'm seriously pissed off at having to complete Electrex's development work and also pay them for the privilege :evil:

PICT0247_zpsb23c9375.jpg

Another piece of shit purchase was the Danmoto nano cockpit speedo which never worked properly from day one.
It's only vaguely accurate at 33 mph and reads either zero or 975 mph at anything above or below and the tacho gave up the ghost on the first trip out.
Hopefully it's replacement, a billet alloy encased Moto gadget mini at twice the price will solve my problems and be even more inconspicuous than it's shitty plastic predecessor :roll:

PICT0249.JPG
Last edited by zed1015 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LondonZ1
100Club
100Club

#390 PostAuthor: LondonZ1 » Fri May 09, 2014 4:49 pm

I have fitted quite a few motogadget parts including a speedo and they have all been excellent. The speed sensor is tiny and therefore very unobtrusive. My only reservation is that the cable going to the sensor was very thin and didn't look butch enough to me given the likelihood of being hit by road debris. I put some heat shrink over the cable to make it more robust with a small piece of adhesive lined HS over the end of the sensor for strain relief and to stop the lock nuts rotating.

Bike is looking fantastic. Sorry to hear about all the Electrex problems. I have fitted Electrex reg/rec, stator and rotor and they have all been OK so far. I get about 13.8V with my lithium battery and it seems to charge up fine.

Return to “Projects”