Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

new member with Z900 project

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

LondonZ1
100Club
100Club

new member with Z900 project

#1 PostAuthor: LondonZ1 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi, this is my first post. I have just bought a scruffy non-running Z900 which I intent to restore/upgrade and put back on the road. I will post a picture when/if I can work out how to do it. The bike is a 1976 Z900 A4 which has been imported from California. I bought it off ebay and it will need quite a lot of work. The bike is mostly complete but has non-standard exhaust, wheels and seat. The engine turns over with the kick start but the bike will need a complete rebuild. I thought it was reasonable value at £2000 but ask me again when I have bought all the bits I need!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270858228408

I have been spending more time than is healthy on the Japanese Sacntuary website. My initial plan was buy a complete sanctuary bike and import it to the UK. A Japanese colleague contacted sanctuary for me and was quoted €40,000. I didn't bother to ask about shipping.

Plan B is to buy a scruffy bike and do my own Sanctuary. I want the bike to look as standard as possible but with modern suspension, wheels, tyres and brakes. I will try and track down some RWU Ohlins forks and will source a new swingarm from Japan. I would appreciate some advice on rear tyre size. It seems that it will be much easier to accommodate a 160 than a 180. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:54 pm

I think thats a nice looking "starting" point :twisted:

If you wanna sell that pipe - I'm interested :P
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

LondonZ1
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: LondonZ1 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:01 pm

The pipe is a Kerker. It is in reasonable condition, no obvious damage but needs stripping and repainting. Haven't decided whether to keep it or not yet. Will PM you if I decide to sell.

Mark Tiller
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#4 PostAuthor: Mark Tiller » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Welcome, decent looking bike and good value

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: new member with Z900 project

#5 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:09 pm

LondonZ1 wrote:. I would appreciate some advice on rear tyre size. It seems that it will be much easier to accommodate a 160 than a 180. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

A 180 tyre/wheel is not to difficult to fit. You will need a 5/8" offset front sprocket available off the shelf from Debben, or made to order by Talon. Then you'll need to machine something like 8mm from your sprocket carrier (depending on what you use).

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#6 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:10 pm

If you're using later Suzook wheels (Bandit 1200, GSXR, etc) then I believe the early EFE sprocket carrier fits straight on, and is not so wide (less off-set) :wink:

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#7 PostAuthor: paul doran » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:53 pm

good starting point for a rebuild
way too many Zeds

LondonZ1
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: LondonZ1 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:25 pm

DSC_0214.jpg

This is my 'new' bike. Having owned it for all of 5 days now, there are some interesting features (other than the fact that it doesn't run). Some previous owner has spent money upgrading it. It has:
2 front discs (1 was std in the US)
Kerker exhaust and K&N filters
Unidentified alloy wheels
Somewhat crude rear disc conversion
What looks like an aftermarket oil cooler
Finned engine side covers
....and an engine with no serial number. I guess the crankcase has been replaced at some stage. I have no idea what's inside, and probably won't get time to dismantle it until next year.
I am going to focus on the frame and suspension first. Have looked into Japanese swingarms but 1) horrifically expensive and 2) no chain guard mounting. I think I will buy a Kipkawa S1 arm instead.
Still trying to get a price for Ohlins forks but Harris have suggested XR69 replica forks with Ohlins internals, which will look more original.
Last edited by LondonZ1 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

LondonZ1
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: LondonZ1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:04 pm

No pictures but I thought I'd give you an update on where I've got to. I have been busy sorting out the design of the front end. After much research, I have ordered a pair of Ohlins RWU forks and sanctuary/sculpture yokes, both in black. These should arrive in March, I hope. The plan is to fit a 17" front wheel and this has made things a bit more complicated. The forks need to be longer and the steering offset needs to be reduced to compensate for the smaller wheel.

Ohlins don't actually list forks for the Z1/Z900, but the closest fit turned out to be a H**** CB1300. I presume the Sculpture yokes are specially designed for 17" wheels because they have a 40mm offset versus the standard 60mm. This means that the trail will increase by about 8mm, which will in theory make the bike slightly more stable. The heavier steering will I hope be offset by reduced gyroscopic inertia from light wheels, brakes etc. I'll fit non-radial brakes but haven't decided which brand yet.

There's a Kipkawa swingarm also due in March and the plan is to order some Nitron shocks when the the chassis is sorted.

Will post some pics when the bits arive.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#10 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:12 pm

This is sounding gooooood :twisted:

Zed man
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: Zed man » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Welcome, Looks like you have your hands full there? Theres lot's of help on here, so just ask if you get stuck, or just ask anyways. :)

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: garyd » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:30 pm

Recon I need to camp outside your place & mug the Postman.

They all sound like my dream bits...wheras I have to spend ages working out what kawasaki bits will fit.

Still, where's that couple who won the Euro lottery....maybe I could become his personal groomer and cut his goatee beard for £600 quid a shot...Just like The Beckhams.

neilbarrett
ZedHead
ZedHead

#13 PostAuthor: neilbarrett » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:37 pm

dont look a bad bye,

Keefleaf
ZedHead
ZedHead

#14 PostAuthor: Keefleaf » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:48 pm

I think you bought well. :up wheels look like Morris mags,fingers crossed :wink: Take a plug out and shine a torch down there,hi comp' pistons
Take the cam cover off and look for I.D on camshafts.
P.S. I like the seat :D

Davy Doherty

#15 PostAuthor: Davy Doherty » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:21 pm

....and an engine with no serial number.!!!!!!

Id get that sorted sooner rather than later,

Return to “Projects”