Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

new member with Z900 project

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

weaver
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#256 PostAuthor: weaver » Wed May 22, 2013 9:00 pm

good news from Debben,dont worry about your engine build not going quite as well as you had hoped,I am sure you learnt plenty from the process,and the rest of the bike is excellent

Darren Williams
Regular Poster

#257 PostAuthor: Darren Williams » Wed May 22, 2013 9:06 pm

London Z1 ,
Turbo talk like that is going to get you in a lot of trouble with Mrs R !!
Look forward to reading more .Good luck with the zx 750 e.

Darren

wilsonsjw11
Hardcore
Hardcore

#258 PostAuthor: wilsonsjw11 » Fri May 24, 2013 4:56 pm

London Z1,
Are Debbens going to change the clutch basket springs as well as fitting new gearbox bearings while the engine is split,may as well as it's not expensive.
Regards
Steve

LondonZ1
100Club
100Club

#259 PostAuthor: LondonZ1 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Steve

I had already fitted new clutch friction plates and springs as well as a roller bearing clutch pusher. So the clutch should be OK! The steel plates were fine so I didn't replace those.

The other problem, as foreseen by Ginger Bear, is that the low profile crankcase breather acts as a very effective oil sprinkler. I'm going to have to fit a higher remote catch tank. I would like something fairly small and neat, maybe a welded cylindrical aluminium job. There's plenty of space because the electrical system is so minimal. Any suggestions? I don't want to refit the original higher breather cover as it's just too tall. I want to keep the space below the carbs as open as possible; I like being able to see 'through' the engine without all the usual visual junk getting in the way.

Spoke to Ray yesterday and they are still looking at the cylinder head and working out what to do. The barrels have been honed and are now ready to go on the bike.

Am going to see how my local garage is getting on with the turbo tomorrow. They've got the engine turning over but not started....yet.

chrisu

#260 PostAuthor: chrisu » Fri May 24, 2013 7:45 pm

My z1r breathes via a long pipe onto the chain
Just enough vapour gets through to stop the chain going rusty

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#261 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Fri May 24, 2013 8:42 pm

chrisu wrote:My z1r breathes via a long pipe onto the chain
Just enough vapour gets through to stop the chain going rusty

That's cunning. :fou I like it. :sou

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

LondonZ1
100Club
100Club

#262 PostAuthor: LondonZ1 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:10 am

Quick update. Barrels have been honed and Debben are cutting a new more modern style of valve seat; the guides were OK. They are also fitting new valves with the later collet design. It's all taking a bit longer than expected (as I expected...) but the end result should be worth it. Debben reckon that I need a larger oil catch tank behind the battery box and as it happens they have just commissioned a small batch, so that will get sorted at the same time.

Debben are also fitting the oil cooler for me. The oil take off just fouled the barrel fins so they have trimmed the fins. The oil cooler is a mix of parts from Japan (mounting bracket), the US (cooler and hoses) and the UK (take-offs) but the end result should look homogeneous I hope. It's all black except for the hoses which are stainless braided items. The cooler is a small black curved earls one and Debben are saying that it won't work with the right angled fittings I supplied. It's always the small details that cause the most problems.

Now that the bike is cosmetically finished (and looks OK) without the cooler, I was quite tempted to leave it off. However, all the sanctuary bikes have coolers and the whole idea was to build a sanctuary replica. If I change my mind I can always take it off but I'll leave it on for now.

The turbo should get an MOT next week after replacing all the consumables (tyres, chain, pads, hoses, oil etc) so my plan to ship the turbo down to Debbens when the Zed is finished still look feasible.

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#263 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:46 am

Looks like you'll be able to ride it the rest of the summer, then polish it up & get it on the club stand at Stafford in October...... :sou

http://z1ownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25881

I know there's plenty more would like to see it there. :wink:

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D

Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

LondonZ1
100Club
100Club

#264 PostAuthor: LondonZ1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Steve Debben has now finished rebuilding the engine and tells me that it is running well. Runs smoothly, revs freely and is noisier. They will put some miles on it and re-torque the heads and check for oil leaks etc. Steve has also fitted the oil cooler but I haven't seen any pics yet. This is the final piece of the jigsaw from a cosmetic point of view so I hope it looks OK.

They haven't fitted an oil catch tank yet as they're not ready but I will get the first of the new batch. Hopefully I can get it back in a couple of weeks and then ride it properly.

There are a still a few small jobs outstanding. I used a sheet of carbon fibre to mount the rear light and I am going to change this to aluminium; the cf isn't stiff enough so the rear light bounces up and down. I also need to wrap some harness tape around the wiring loom under than tank and spray some anti-corrosion goop into the connectors. I will also fit a small and simple Rizoma mirror and get the seat recovered at some stage. I'll post some pics when I get it back with the oil cooler and catch tank.

LondonZ1
100Club
100Club

#265 PostAuthor: LondonZ1 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Engine is finished and oil cooler is fitted. Just need the catch tank installed now. And the pipes need a really good polish.

andyb1962
ZedHead
ZedHead

#266 PostAuthor: andyb1962 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:55 pm

Wow thats an awesome machine well done all the hard work paid off.
:drool :drool :drool

:wink:
Andy :wink:

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didnt exist"

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#267 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:07 pm

Ready to go on the stand at Stafford :D

LondonZ1
100Club
100Club

#268 PostAuthor: LondonZ1 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:12 pm

Debben have now installed the new oil catch tank in the vacant space behind the battery box. It won't be visible when the side panel is fitted and they used some surplus hose from the oil cooler stuff I ordered to connect it to the low profile breather cover. The have also fitted matching black anodised fittings. Steve says the oil will drain back into the engine from the tank when the bike is parked. I had removed the surplus bracket from the front of the seat lock, which is just as well as the tank only just fits.

My fancy green brake reservoir hose is sweating fluid so that's got to be replaced with plain black stuff, the clutch isn't disengaging fully and the carbs haven't been set up yet but the to-do list is getting shorter and shorter. With summer having finally arrived I really want to get the bike on the road.

The camshafts that came with the bike turned out to be 380 lift Engle ones, which means nothing to me but Steve says they are high lift cams. The bike has 70mm high comp MTC pistons, CR31 carbs, new Debben valve seats and a free flow exhaust so I am hoping it won't disgrace itself on the dyno. Steve says it already runs well on the short test drive so it seems the carbs are already quite close.

Last edited by LondonZ1 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilsonsjw11
Hardcore
Hardcore

#269 PostAuthor: wilsonsjw11 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Well it looks like you are getting there anyway.
The bike has been in good hands.
I have just fired up my Z1B with Debben rebuilt motor and it's very crisp with the Dyna S and Dyna coils fitted.
Regards
Steve

Jay1969
Hardcore
Hardcore

#270 PostAuthor: Jay1969 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:43 pm

Yes very neat :up

Return to “Projects”