Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

new member with Z900 project

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

LondonZ1
100Club
100Club

#61 PostAuthor: LondonZ1 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Lester reckons that he will have the bike on its wheels next week with the forks fitted and new Ohlins rear suspension with all the brackets welded on. I was going to go and see how he was getting on this Friday but apparently there's some event at Stafford that he is going to.

In the meantime I have been trying to sort out the instruments. The plan is to have modern analogue gauges with all digital feeds, no speedo or tacho cables. After a lot of searching, I have failed to find a matching pair suitable for bike use. I've bought a Stack tacho with a custom dial and the best speedo match I can find is a motogadget. Both are 80mm, white face, black numerals and red needle. The motogadget speedo also has built in warning lights and a 200mph dial, which should be enough. The Stack tacho is beautifully made and it's actually got a built in speedo but I prefer a separate analogue one. I found a guy on ebay who can make custom aluminium dashes for a modest fee so I'll order one when I've finalised the gauges. Both the tacho and speedo require external buttons for accessing the menu and I haven't decided where to fit them.

In the meantime the exhaust has arrived from Japan (PMC Monaka) and that tank and tail are back from Flying Tiger. Si has done a lovely job. I've had lost of bikes painted over the years and his finish is the best I have seen; it's like glass.

I'll post some pics from Harris next week.

Flying Tiger
100Club
100Club

#62 PostAuthor: Flying Tiger » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Looking forward to seeing it all go together!

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#63 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:46 pm

More pics please................ :sou

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

LondonZ1
100Club
100Club

#64 PostAuthor: LondonZ1 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:17 pm

By special request from Ginger Bear...

Here's a couple of pics of the exhaust. It's a stainless PMC Monaka, which appears to be a copy of the Moriwaki Monster. The Monster only comes in mild steel (which rusts) or titanium (which is over £2k). The PMC is actually beautifully made with high quality welds and lovely curved headers. I showed it to Lester Harris and we reckon it has been hand made as none of the curves are constant radius.

You might notice that the LH header has no weld discolouration. The guy in Japan who has been supplying most of the goodies (Drew aka Moriwaki-man) recommended some Yoshimura stuff called Satin Magic which does an amazing job of cleaning with minimal effort. I haven't bothered to do the rest yet.

I've also posted a pic of the tank. The pic doesn't show off the green very well, it's a lovely deep metallic in the flesh. I wanted a classic style but with modern colours. This is the original tank you can see from the first photos I posted. The tail piece pic was taken Si (Flying Tiger) and shows the colour better.

Flying Tiger
100Club
100Club

#65 PostAuthor: Flying Tiger » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:33 pm

Here's a picture I took which shows that beautiful green! Hope you don't mind me posting it

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#66 PostAuthor: garyd » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Please don't take this personally...but I hate you and all the lovely Zed stuff you have.....there I've said it....

I feel better for that, now I'm just going to kick some of the rusty lumps of iron I have in my garage...that makes me feel better too....

LondonZ1
100Club
100Club

#67 PostAuthor: LondonZ1 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:03 pm

Sorry Gary, I'll stop posting updates if that helps

martinz1000r
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#68 PostAuthor: martinz1000r » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:08 pm

LondonZ1 wrote:Sorry Gary, I'll stop posting updates if that helps

Please don't do that! My week would not be complete without my regular bling fix. Keep flexing the credit card and keep the pictures coming!
Z1000R, Moto Martin GPz, z900 A4 Crosby Replica, Harris Magnum 2, Suzuki GSXR 1100 Slabbie, SP1 Hoonda x 2, Katana 1100, Bimota SB6R and Tuatara

hanskloss
100Club
100Club

#69 PostAuthor: hanskloss » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:56 pm

LondonZ1 this is the best paintjob I've seen on a modified Z, many are well put together but ruined by funky paintjobs, yours is so correct it hurts :bow

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#70 PostAuthor: garyd » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:07 pm

LondonZ1 wrote:Sorry Gary, I'll stop posting updates if that helps

Ha I know yout game....get me hooked with some tempters and then threaten to withold the supply....well it won't work I tell ya.

I'm not addicted...I can stop when ever I want......so just one more go on....I'm in control of it...

mikeyoz1
Regular Poster

#71 PostAuthor: mikeyoz1 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:56 am

Know i know where you got all that cash its right under the very nice pipes
What is going into the engine ? great job

bomber
Regular Poster

#72 PostAuthor: bomber » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:58 am

That'll keep you busy over the winter,
i think you better cancel Christmas this year though....LOL!
will you be cummin to Stafford this weekend to buy some bits?

LondonZ1
100Club
100Club

#73 PostAuthor: LondonZ1 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:13 pm

I have been getting some flak for excess bling, so those of a nervous/jealous disposition should look away now. Went to visit Harris today and it's starting to look like a bike. All the stiffening is tacked in place and the forks and swingarm are in. There are quite a few small niggles to sort out but nothing major. Lester thinks the chain is too close to the frame so he's going to weld in a small flat area. He's managed to get the front and rear wheels exactly aligned but the chain clearance is very tight. He's also made an aluminium battery box which will also take all the other electrical stuff.

The rear shocks are laid down using sanctuary top mounts and the angle/travel should be a reasonable compromise for ride comfort, stance and chain alignment. I was going to have black springs but I might keep the yellow.

Am having problems with the rear indicators as the original brackets are bent and, more seriously, would touch the rear tyre on full compression. The plan is to make new much simpler brackets and swap the rubber mount stems for simpler rigid mounted ones.

LondonZ1
100Club
100Club

#74 PostAuthor: LondonZ1 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:21 pm

The plan for the engine is fairly simple. Head has been refurbished with new seats and seals. The barrels were fine. New MTC 70mm pistons, refit the aftermarket cams that came with the bike, Dyna S, Keihin carbs and PMC exhaust. The engine will have new Sanctuary cam chain, rollers, tensioner etc and Sanctuary low profile oil filter cover to clear the exhaust. Haven't decided what to do about an oil cooler yet.

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#75 PostAuthor: paul doran » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:26 pm

what a stunning paint scheme
way too many Zeds

Return to “Projects”