Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1R-TC

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

z1rtc
Regular Poster

Z1R-TC

#1 PostAuthor: z1rtc » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:22 am

Hi,

I've been after a Z1R-TC for quite sometime as I've always liked the oddball stuff, and the fact that it seemed very unlikely I'd ever get my mitts on one was just made it even more attractive!

In July last year I was cruising Ebay in the small hours as you do and something made me think of searching for Z1R-TC. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw a Black Molly near Washington DC looking for a new owner! A few conversations with the owner followed and after a long wait until the end of the auction several days later (at 3am!), sweaty palms and an unhealthily increasing pulse I'd won it... for some reason which I still can't believe I was the only bidder! The bike was picked up by the transport company and driven to Texas where it caught a boat for Felixstowe, and nearly 3 months later it was in the back of my van trundling down the M4! :)

Considering the TC 34 years old, it's history is quite short...
Bought by the original owner in '78, he had the crank welded and pinned and the sump baffled by the local Kawasaki dealer at a cost of $1k in 1979. He then rode it for 6k miles before his wife made him park it (apparently) and having pulled the battery, removed the petcock, drained the fuel, and put oil in the cylinders that's where it stayed until 2001. Cue the second owner who bought it and also just stored it as part of his collection before coming to conclusion he was never going to do anything with the bike, so put it on Ebay last year, which is where I step in!

For me the best bit about the bike is that it's so completely original and considering it's 34 years old, it's in pretty good condition - and came with the original keys, locks, TC handbook, tools and even the kick start under the seat still... not sure about the oil cooler tho! Does anyone know??? The only damage as far as I can see is a broken front right indicator and instrument cowl - if anyone has either for sale please get in touch.

Because of its originality I personally think it would be wrong to go to town and do a nut n' bolt resto, so the plan for the bike is simple; strip it down and replace all the service items and consumables such as hoses, cables, chain, sprockets, tyres, fork stanchions, rear shocks, fluids etc. etc etc... and make it reliable whilst retaining its originality.

The top is off the motor now and the cams etc all look extremely good - it turns over fine, so we need to decide how far to go with that. The turbo and fuel pump are also off and need to be sent off for checking and rebuild if necessary. If anyone can recommendation the best people to do this, please let me know.

I'm really looking forward to finding out more about the bike - and TCs in general as we go, but in the meantime here are a few pix before the stripdown started . . .

Pix of the breakdown to come soon! :)

Keefleaf
ZedHead
ZedHead

#2 PostAuthor: Keefleaf » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:18 am

Up late again I see :lol:
Bike looks a Gem :up
Big Fluff on this site would probably be the best person for Turbo advise.
Keep us posted,cheers,Keith.

davejames
ZedHead
ZedHead

#3 PostAuthor: davejames » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:52 am

Wow what a find :D :D Totally agree with the the replace the consumables, clean it up and put back together. Far too nice to warrant a rebuild
Feng shui................my arse

nanno
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: nanno » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:26 am

Wow, this Molly is beautiful.

That said, I wouldn't even re-chrome the pipes or anything... really just stick to the internals and then

can it like they were intended to. :oops:
There's no replacement for displacement!

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#5 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:30 am

Fantastic find.... UkKev has just taken delivery of one - hes storing it for a mate :wink:

Where exactly in Somerset are you? - I'd love to see it one day over a cuppa :twisted:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

mutz-nutz
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: mutz-nutz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:13 am

:D that is a cracker what a bike to have :D
turn full circle and bite ya own arse !!

Big Fluff
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: Big Fluff » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:20 am

You have PM :wink:
Kawasaki GPz750T, Kawasaki ZRX1100R, Kawasaki GPZ1000RX, H**** VF1000RG Rothmans, H**** VF500F2F, H**** CB1100RD, Suzuki GSX1100EFE, H**** XL125K2

Steve S
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: Steve S » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:46 am

Well done on your purchase of a great machine,this will be an interesting project to follow so keep us posted on progress with lots of pictures please.

Good luck with her :D

GUYZED
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#9 PostAuthor: GUYZED » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:53 pm

Now that is nice :up
OLD ZED'S NEVER DIE THEY JUST GO FASTER...
Z1000A2 Z650B1

Baldylocks
Regular Poster

#10 PostAuthor: Baldylocks » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:02 pm

Now that is a very nice Bike, I remember back in the day..when Daytona's in Ruislip Manor were selling clones of TC's and they had a pile of Twisted Cranks, that they replaced on Warranty...apparently in the States I believe they were sold without Warranty, don't know if that was true tho I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me! :D
Bugger ! whose Idea was that!

'78 Z1r '79 z650/1100 '77 Seeley H**** 750 GPz1100 B2 '86 GSXR750R Ltd '97 KTM620 '76 S3a 400

Baldylocks
Regular Poster

#11 PostAuthor: Baldylocks » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:05 pm

by the way that looks like a Lockhart Philips Oil cooler which is a period mod for Zeds in the USA, and with the Turbo would definitley have needed it!
Bugger ! whose Idea was that!

'78 Z1r '79 z650/1100 '77 Seeley H**** 750 GPz1100 B2 '86 GSXR750R Ltd '97 KTM620 '76 S3a 400

z1rtc
Regular Poster

#12 PostAuthor: z1rtc » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:27 am

Thanks all - great to see the response the bike has had, and I'll try to keep you updated :)

Keefleaf wrote:Up late again I see :lol:
Bike looks a Gem :up
Big Fluff on this site would probably be the best person for Turbo advise.
Keep us posted,cheers,Keith.

Hi Keith,

Always up late :roll: :lol: I hope to be having a chat with Big Fluff soon.

davejames wrote:Wow what a find :D :D Totally agree with the the replace the consumables, clean it up and put back together. Far too nice to warrant a rebuild

I much prefer 'original' over 'restored' so yup that's the plan! Hopefully it'll come out ok with a bit of spit n' polish!

Pigford wrote:Fantastic find.... UkKev has just taken delivery of one - hes storing it for a mate :wink:

Where exactly in Somerset are you? - I'd love to see it one day over a cuppa :twisted:

Hi Pigford,

Ta! I'm in Midsomer Norton and you're welcome anytime - the kettles usually on, but the TC's not being stripped here. As soon as it's back I'll let you know :)

Baldylocks wrote:Now that is a very nice Bike, I remember back in the day..when Daytona's in Ruislip Manor were selling clones of TC's and they had a pile of Twisted Cranks, that they replaced on Warranty...apparently in the States I believe they were sold without Warranty, don't know if that was true tho I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me! :D

Cheers Baldylocks :)

Having read a few articles from back in the day, you're right in saying they were sold without a warranty in the US! But hey, what could possibly go wrong with simply bolting a huge turbo to a standard bike?! :shock: :lol: :lol:

Here are a few more pics - not quite as nice as the first couple of pics suggest now we're getting into it, but a good place to start I reckon….

Eeek!! Bugs nest found behind the instrumental cowl - complete with dead bugs inside! :shock:

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#13 PostAuthor: paul doran » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:59 pm

lovely bike well done
I know a Bloke over here has three of them and tons of spares
He brought them all back from the States years ago
way too many Zeds

ade woollams
100Club
100Club

#14 PostAuthor: ade woollams » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:32 pm

theres a guy i know of in the states that must have around 12 of em.jammy bugger..
dragracing, because it takes more than one ball !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNoktjNP ... ture=share

uk kev
ZedHead
ZedHead

#15 PostAuthor: uk kev » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:43 pm

Nice bike, and nice to see another one being restored. Now my friend Paul's bike is at my place right now, it is a late 77 build, one owner unrestored bike, with full dealer paperwork from new. But I notice a few things that are different over the two bikes. I shall post some pictures tomorrow for the forum to peruse :wink:

Return to “Projects”