Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

My year long rebuild

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

cra-z1

My year long rebuild

#1 PostAuthor: cra-z1 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:30 pm

Oct 72 Z1
Last edited by cra-z1 on Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uk kev
ZedHead
ZedHead

#2 PostAuthor: uk kev » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Fantastic, nice job, those carbs look awesome.

Davy Doherty

#3 PostAuthor: Davy Doherty » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:47 pm

Looks like you went the whole hog there, it looks like it should well done, any more pics!!

cra-z1

#4 PostAuthor: cra-z1 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:19 pm

dave I have posted a topic in help which may interest you concerning early style buckets. Take a look.
Heres another pictureImage

malc87
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: malc87 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:46 pm

no chance getting an american to attend a uk event :(
we have even offered to pay to come to a triples rally and STILL no takers!! :shock:

cra-z1

Don't give up on us

#6 PostAuthor: cra-z1 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:06 pm

malc87, that seems strange that no one took you up on it. I would have to realy consider it if I was in their shoes. I wish I could just pick up and go but Im in no position to do just that. One thing I have noticed in the US is that these old bikes are just laying around. I love these bikes and don't understand why more are not being restored over here. I give you guys credit for keeping many on the road. As stated my main ride is a 85 Yamaha Venture Royale. The thing just keeps on going and still looks great and will beat the pants off alot of the machines out there now. Kind of got my eye on a 73 Yamaha 650 twin if the guy parts with it

chrisNI
Site Admin

#7 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:08 pm

Good job on the bike cra-z1 where did you find it?

cra-z1

Unfortunatly E-Bay

#8 PostAuthor: cra-z1 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:27 pm

I had been looking for several months for one after I pulled up to a guy on a 73. I asked him if he wanted to sell it. He coldly looked at me and said no. He has owned it for 20 years and wont part with it. I got the bug and started to look on e-bay and was willing to spend a little to drive or crate the bike to Minneapolis but prices just got out of hand. Then one day I saw this 73 and it was right in my back yard(15 miles away). Got the ok from my better half and I put a bid in at the last 20 seconds, couldn't let this one get away, to many were going overseas(sorry). I was bidding against a guy from Austrailia but I got it. A little more than I expected but what the heck. I know a racer who had a load of Z1 parts laying around and said just take everything. So I recouped a little from sales on e-bay. Even sold a set of 76 4-4pipes to a guy in Australia, some parts went to France,Germany and of course to Uk

AL MARSHALL
100Club
100Club

teerriffficc

#9 PostAuthor: AL MARSHALL » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:46 am

what a beauty cra-z1 you can be justly proud of your rebuild.. what breed are the coils?, i like the idea you can replace just the leads when required.

al

cra-z1

#10 PostAuthor: cra-z1 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:20 pm

Al, the ignition is Dyna-s with their 3 ohm coils. I put in a relay to supply power directly to the coils. This is the square black box on the left side of the coil. I know there has been dicussion of this mod and the valididy of it , but it was an easy mod.

phil churchett
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: phil churchett » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:59 pm

Looks real nice, be good to see some pics when it's complete.
Four pipes rule, anything else is second best.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#12 PostAuthor: Pigford » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:03 pm

Cra-z1, superb bike mate :shock:
Glad to see the 'direct power' to coils effort. Worth trying as you say :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

z1bnackerkwacker
100Club
100Club

Re: teerriffficc

#13 PostAuthor: z1bnackerkwacker » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:23 pm

AL MARSHALL wrote: what breed are the coils?, i like the idea you can replace just the leads when required.

Got exact same coils on mine, work great..

Return to “Projects”