Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Maiden Voyage today,never will be this clean again

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

cra-z1

Maiden Voyage today,never will be this clean again

#1 PostAuthor: cra-z1 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:58 pm

Got the 73 project running today and took it around the block. Carbs were very close on start up. Will have to readjust at higher RPM. Runs great. A couple of coughs then smooth. Took a bit to adjust the Dyna S ignition. I ended up with both pick-ups at the end of their adjustment range. Here are a few pictures[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/venture1985/shelives012.jpg[/img]
Checking carbs[/img]Image

AndyZ1R
100Club
100Club

#2 PostAuthor: AndyZ1R » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:56 pm

Very nice, all you need now is a longer swingarm and a bottle of nitrous! :lol:

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#3 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:42 am

Great job, that paintwork look superb :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Steve R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Steve R » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:52 am

Very nice, I like the paint,interesting comment on the dyna s . I had the same problem only there was not enough adjustement even with the pick ups at the end of the range, ended up sending it back to Jeff at z1 ans he sent me another. Dyna had denied there were any problems, but several other members of the kz riders site in US had the same problem. Jeff sent mine back to Dyna and then they had to admit there was a manufacturing problem in that the pick up sensers had been mounted incorrectly.

This was all last year so wether they have not resolved it or you have one tghats been sat on the shelf for a while?

homerbart

#5 PostAuthor: homerbart » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:56 am

Cracker

cra-z1

#6 PostAuthor: cra-z1 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:49 pm

Steve R I remember reading your post. I think I will probably end up realigning the pick-ups and redrilling/tapping the backing plate for ease in adjusting. For now they are working good.
Here is a before picture[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/venture1985/before/Before3.jpg[/img]
After[/img]Image

Davy Doherty

#7 PostAuthor: Davy Doherty » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:00 pm

You lucky dog,,, Time to enjoy it now!! good luck with it

big green bus
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: big green bus » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:11 pm

very nice. outstanding job.

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:16 pm

I put a dyna s on my a4 last year with no probs. there are 2 types of auto advance fitted to zed's. some early types were fitted to later ones and visa versa for some reason, also owners sometimes change them. :? you need to check which one you have and get the correct dyna ign for it, maybe that was the problem,

Ed Z1-R
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: Ed Z1-R » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:19 pm

:up

Davy Doherty

#11 PostAuthor: Davy Doherty » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:38 pm

Cra z1, Is that the early shade of paint you had done as on the first 2000 bikes? Was it done by Lacqurefumes ? I'd like to see more pic's if it was.

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#12 PostAuthor: paul doran » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:47 pm

beautiful
I never tire of looking at Zed's
well done
way too many Zeds

Steve Cooke
ZedHead
ZedHead

#13 PostAuthor: Steve Cooke » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:20 pm

That is one great looking bike, superb colour well done.

cra-z1

#14 PostAuthor: cra-z1 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:05 am

When I was rebuiding the engine I decided to do some updates to it. One was the advance. I switched to the later style which uses 20/40 verses the 5/40 on the 72 model. The engine will idle a little better and will have better starting. The paint Was done by Ralph at Paintworkz in Illinois. The shade is of the first 2000 off the production line. Mine is 1899. In one of my posts I mentioned that I needed to replace the tappet buckets and the cam sprocket bolts which should of been replaced under warrenty in 73 but was never done. Another problem was the shafts which hold the cam chain guide sprockets. I replaced these with later years which have a thicker shaft at the cut away. I used al Liska parts and a the heavy duty cam chain. I also needed to replace the pistons and intake valves. I used APE cam sprockets,main bearing studs, and cylinder studs with APE nuts. Jeff at Z1 enterprizes new I was going to use the later advancer so I think it is correct. Jeff was very helpful duing the rebuild. I will be getting some better pictures that I will post

Return to “Projects”