Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Gee Pea Zed Unitrak

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

RAYZ1
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#76 PostAuthor: RAYZ1 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:30 pm

those wheels are a work of art, well done

bigrocketrider
Regular Poster

#77 PostAuthor: bigrocketrider » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:17 am

I'm truly impressed - I really I wish I had the skill that you clearly have. Restored one of these myself and found it a real pig. Done quite a few 70s bikes but would never take on another of these fuel injected ones. The bugger still doesn't run as well as it should - and there is very little resto help out there for this model. I will watch with interest.

RALPHARAMA
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#78 PostAuthor: RALPHARAMA » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:30 am

I've been a bit short of time for GPZ fettling, but I've done bits and bobs as and when time has been available, but have often not had the time to take pix or post progress.

I have built up the arse end with the lovely YSS shock having finally found all the missing bits; they'd slipped off the bench and slid behind the bead blast cabinet :oops:

I had to make a wee tool to take the anti-dive part of the forks apart - nothing fancy :) Just hope I can find it again when I need to reassemble 'em :lol:

Just have to find the time to paint them now. I am deliberating over spending some wedge on cartridge emulators for them. I have already bought a set of new stanchions so they're ready to rock and roll!

When the Laser rep came around the other day he showed me a stud installer kit which is great. Nice and cheap and really made banging the studs in a piece of piss. They're around a tenner a set and well worth it. It goes without saying that I bought a load for Biker's Toolbox to sell!

I fitted all new valves in the head and replaced all the exhaust guides, well Bowden engineering replaced the guides - too much like hard work! Besides Zed head don't fit in CB's oven ... naturally I have tried :lol: The shims are all a bit thin and I have had to order some more from Cradleys.

The sticky bucket came back and bit me in the arse again. I think I mentioned it earlier in the tread that some dick wad had forced a too long bolt in the head at one point and had made a 'bulge' in the wall of the hole in which the bucket slides up and down. When I slid the bucket in the sod wouldn't come back out at all, even when I warmed the area around it with a heat gun! In the end I grabbed the mig torch and glued an M10 nut to the bucket and forced the fecker out. I then blued up this 'tool' to highlight the high spots and used an internal machine scraper to carefully remove the excess material. I didn't think about taking any pix 'til I was finished. Interestingly I 'stole' the micrometer blue when I was doing my apprenticeship, so it's well over thirty years old now.

On Sunday I fitted the head and barrels. Having taken the block out to 1170cc there is very little meat on the bottom of the liners and no lead at all :evil: Even using ring compressors getting the outer two pistons in was difficult and I was very relieved to have the extra hands of a visiting friend - he certainly earned his fat bastard breakfast :lol:

We're off to the Magic Island on Saturday, and given the shitty weather and no shims I doubt there will be much to report for a while. Can't be spraying two pack in the rain :evil: I was hoping to take the Beast to the Island, but looking at the weather I think I'll be taking Rex. Don't want the Beast getting soaked day in day out after all the resto work last winter :evil:
Ralph Ferrand
Z1000A1 (1977), Godier Genoud Z1300A5 (1983), Z900A4 Stock (1976), Z900A4 Special (project), GPZ1100 Unitrak (1983), ZRX1200R (2004) DT175MX (1981).

http://www.bikerstoolbox.co.uk

Don't be caught out http://www.dhlparcels.info/

RALPHARAMA
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#79 PostAuthor: RALPHARAMA » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:10 pm

Yesterday and today I have done a bit of painting whilst the weather has been good. Some how I managed to forget to paint the cam chain tensioner when I painted the engine parts. I spent ages trying to find the painted parts and then finally came upon the bits NOT painted :cry:

I also needed to paint the fork legs and anti dive bits, and the hand rails.

I banged on the zinc chromate yesterday and today I sprayed the two pack satin black. I got some brownie points from SWMBO by blowing the leftover paint on the garden bench; she wasn't keen in my avante garde red and grey patchwork :lol:

I then unmasked them this evening after taking the beast for a hoon.

Ralph Ferrand
Z1000A1 (1977), Godier Genoud Z1300A5 (1983), Z900A4 Stock (1976), Z900A4 Special (project), GPZ1100 Unitrak (1983), ZRX1200R (2004) DT175MX (1981).

Taffus

#80 PostAuthor: Taffus » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:23 pm

Love your work Ralph, it's an inspiration !
I'm getting nearer and nearer to the Kawasakis stuck in my garage

RALPHARAMA
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#81 PostAuthor: RALPHARAMA » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:49 pm

Assembled one of the complicated fork legs last night.

The adjuster on the antidive unit is fecked - the knob turns but the spindle doesn't. Probably make sod all difference to the ride, but I have to make it work. I have put a shout in the 'wanted' section, but if that fails I guess I'll have to try and pin it. Not keen though as when the drill has got through the plastic and hits the metal spindle, I think it's quite likely to 'wander' :(

Ralph Ferrand

RALPHARAMA
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#82 PostAuthor: RALPHARAMA » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:53 pm

Finally got the lump in the frame with a bit o help from Jak. Lowered the frame over the engine.

Then I realised I had some more playing to do so it was back to boil, toil and trouble!

Once that was done I Was able to fit the forks

Then I realised that because there is soooo much black on this bike there is still lots of painting, plating and anodising still to do. I bead blasted the foot rest hangers and polished the front faces prior to masking up for black paint. Anyone know if they're supposed to be gloss or satin?

I've polished the actual foot rest bodies and will most likely get them anodised.

I have to look at the injection system soon. The throttle bodies will take some cleaning up. As with everything on this bike - they're in a right old two and eight :evil: I need to research fitting modern injectors and getting a power commander to run in harmony with the Kawasaki ECU. :shock:
Ralph Ferrand

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#83 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:03 pm

Those polished edges on the footrest hangers will look 'the bollocks'.. :up :up

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

RALPHARAMA
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#84 PostAuthor: RALPHARAMA » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:05 pm

Not had much time for posting 'n' stuff recently, but have been cracking on with this project when ever I have had a spare minute. I have been throwing money at it like there's no tomorrow :evil: I had some grand plans for it but it has become sooo expensive that it will have to be more or less standard.

I have been polluting the airspace around Pensford with my two pack painting :twisted:

Here's some more of the Zinc Chromate primer (so loved by the tree huggers and the nanny state) going on.

I used a 2 pack PU satin black for this batch as the PU seems to be impervious to Dot 4. I tend to use 2K acrylic for the engines as the PU seems to stink like feck when it gets hot.

I scored a NOS LHS switch at Stafford for a very reasonable £20. I have just paid three times that for an RHS bottom half from the states. Still looking for the NOS top if I could get one :??

Allowed my self to be dutifully butt fucked on fleabay for some pretty stickas - they have 'em I wan 'em :evil:

Fitted the solid platinum badge on the ignition pick up cover. Hoping teh new sight glass window doesn't leak ... never fitted one before. On previous restos I have masked the originals up, but this one disappeared with the chemical strip :evil:

Fitted the new throttle body stubs.

One bit that won't be original is the oil cooler; having taken it up to 1170cc and the possibility that at a later date I might upgrade the FI when I'm feeling less skint, I feel that a more manful cooler makes sense. Here's the embryonic bottom bracket

Here's the partially finished top bracket offered up

And here's the bottom bracket in place.

I have used the stock mountings at the top, but due to space issues I have chosen a bobbin type anti vibration mount for the bottom.

I have polished the brackets to get a better finish when they get black anodised. I was going to black anodise the side spacers, but they look so nice polished that I might make them clear anodised. They can't stay polished as they would be a right bastard to keep polished!

I have mostly stripped the throttle bodies. I made some plugs up and bead blasted the first one, but was uncomfortable about the beads. One of our wholesale tool suppliers have just taken on a new toy which was previously sold only by Snap-On - a soda blaster. Well I was pretty sceptical as my previous efforts at soda blasting using a parafin gun weren't great, so I persuaded them to send me a tester which I would return if I didn't like it and buy plus loads for stock if it met with my approval.

I got CB to help me so I could take some pix. I was blown away by it (pun intended) and it will not be going back! I just need some product shots and then I'll be selling 'em on BTB.

The only downside is that if you're painting, you don't get a 'key' for the paint to grip to, which you get with glass bead, but if you're cleaning up unpainted carbs then that's a massive bonus! If you leave any media in a job it will just wash away.

The job need to be done out side as it's one time use media, but the media is totally harmless and will just wash away. If anyone reading this wants one before I have had time to get it on the web site, just drop me a PM or e-mail.
Ralph Ferrand

snotie1965
100Club
100Club

#85 PostAuthor: snotie1965 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:05 pm

That is going to be a TOP uni-trak !! just hurry up ? joking :D

NZAndy
new poster

#86 PostAuthor: NZAndy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:01 pm

Love this build, keep up the good work!

RAYZ1
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#87 PostAuthor: RAYZ1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:31 pm

have you seen any stickers like these before ?

RALPHARAMA
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#88 PostAuthor: RALPHARAMA » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:53 pm

RAYZ1 wrote:have you seen any stickers like these before ?

That looks horribly like another opportunity for me to spend more money on this project! :shock:

Dare I ask how much and where ? :ooer
Ralph Ferrand

RAYZ1
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#89 PostAuthor: RAYZ1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:16 pm

I scanned the cover , drew it up in cad had them made by a friend who has a vinyl cutting business. I need most of them on the sheet, just sold one to a Turbo guy for £5. May get a sheet made up for sale but I will sell one more off the sheet if you want and that's the last until I get more made if there was enough interest.
Cover must be clean and free from wax or grease, good light and a steady hand !!
Can I ask what the spec if your 2 pack PU back is as I have tried 2 pack which is not dot 4 resistant.
Ray

RALPHARAMA
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#90 PostAuthor: RALPHARAMA » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:00 pm

RAYZ1 wrote:I scanned the cover , drew it up in cad had them made by a friend who has a vinyl cutting business. I need most of them on the sheet, just sold one to a Turbo guy for £5. May get a sheet made up for sale but I will sell one more off the sheet if you want and that's the last until I get more made if there was enough interest.
Cover must be clean and free from wax or grease, good light and a steady hand !!
Can I ask what the spec if your 2 pack PU back is as I have tried 2 pack which is not dot 4 resistant.
Ray

It's made by Bradite and I buy it through Brewers. They've got branches everywhere http://www.brewers.co.uk/branch-locator

Ralph Ferrand

Return to “Projects”