Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Gee Pea Zed Unitrak

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

RALPHARAMA
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#91 PostAuthor: RALPHARAMA » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:01 pm

And so it goes on - Spend, Spend, Spend :evil: If I'm honest I'm really getting excited by this bike and I can't wait to have it finished. But I seem to spend hours trying to source bits that are either fucked or missing :evil:

Here's a NOS headlight I bought from the states -

It appeared that the rear brake hadn't been fitted correctly in the past be the arsehole who last put it together so I had to make a bush for the caliper mount bit

I glue the interference fit sleeve in with Bondlok bearing fit

For some reason the front calipers wouldn't fit with the stock 280mm discs

So I had to source some 270mm discs which were used on the 750. Whether my bike has the wrong forks, caliper carriers or what ever I have not idea.

I came to fit the chain and realised that despite ordering a chain with a soft link from the wholesalers, two years later when I finally open the box I find that the sods have sent me an endless chain
:evil: ... so out came the shock, suspension gear and swinging arm to fit the bloody chain :roll:

I stripped and cleaned throttle bodies and sent all the steel parts and pingfucks up to the platers as I have been getting hacked of with plating recently. I had to send up some aluminium parts including the oil cooler brackets etc for anodising so I thought I may as well send up the zinc as well.

One morning the weather was nice so I hung the bits needing paint outside on CB's washing line and started painting them with Zinc Chromate primer when it started drizzling half way through.

The was some fairly choice Anglo Saxon broadcast around Pensford that morning I can tell you!

God alone knows what happened to the stand bolts some I did some measuring up for the side stand and did a rough drawing

Then got busy with a lump o stainless on the lathe

Ralph Ferrand
Z1000A1 (1977), Godier Genoud Z1300A5 (1983), Z900A4 Stock (1976), Z900A4 Special (project), GPZ1100 Unitrak (1983), ZRX1200R (2004) DT175MX (1981).

http://www.bikerstoolbox.co.uk

Don't be caught out http://www.dhlparcels.info/

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#92 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:14 pm

vduk wrote:

Looks like you've been busy Ralph... Does that headlamp dip the right way?

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

RALPHARAMA
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#93 PostAuthor: RALPHARAMA » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:41 pm

The wiring loom was pretty rough and as there don't seem to be any new ones to buy, I set about making a new one from scratch. It's the most complex one I've had to make up to now, but the principle is the same regardless of how many services the bike has.

I've never been a fan of the way inside loom joints are made by KHI, though at least by this point they had stopped soldering them :D

As coloured 2.8 multi block connectors are dear and my wholesaler doesn't sell 'em, I decided to clean up the old ones, including a swim in the ultrasonic bath

I always use proper loom tape to wrap the big parts of the loom. Even Mr Kawasaki seems to use PVC self adhesive insulation tape wrapping his looms, and over the years the glue turns into a nasty sticky mess. When you unwrap the old loom it is disgusting and you spend hours trying to remove glue from everything with IPA :evil:

I found a NOS LHS switch at Stafford which was a total result. I then needed a RHS one to match, but the only one I could find was in the States and had no light switch. I therefore was forced to use the old top switch and new bottom. Three quarters right I guess :?? I decided to rewire the top and I had to change the wires on the bottom as they use the wrong colours for the Yanx :roll:

Always lube up the switch with Corrosion Block grease

Here's the finished switches and I used the original handlebar weights, but polished and re-plated them with black zinc.

When we finally got a day when it definitely going to rain I look the throttle bodies out to CB's washing line and got busy with the two pack acrylic satin black.

I decided that the wiring from the pick-up coils was more than slightly ropey, so decided to renew it as far back as I dared

Because the signal wires run so close to the hot engine, they needed to be protected with braid heat resistant sleeve. They weren't originally, which is why the sleeving went all hard and cracked.

I was very pleased with the anodising of the oil cooler brackets, bushing etc.

Being tight I re-plated the unions at the engine end and reused them. The posh new ones were shit loads dosh :evil:

Now finished all the wiring in front of the final drive

I had a bit of a fight with the clutch actuator, but it finally gave in gracelessly. I have to get some oil seals for the gear change shaft, but I wanted to see what it looks like with the cover on at last

I've started wiring up the stuff in the head light shell.

I used the old coils but fitted new HT cable and suppressor caps

I am still missing various bits including the fast running (choke equiv) lever and shaft as mine have become separated
:evil: The Bracket that holds the fuel regulator to the throttle bodies has also been buggered up by some monkey :evil: I also need to get hold of the plastic tray that the battery sits in.

I want to make a new injection loom as well but haven't the foggiest where to get the connectors for the big ECU multi block plug . Anyone any idea where I might source these ?

Ralph Ferrand
Z1000A1 (1977), Godier Genoud Z1300A5 (1983), Z900A4 Stock (1976), Z900A4 Special (project), GPZ1100 Unitrak (1983), ZRX1200R (2004) DT175MX (1981).

RALPHARAMA
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#94 PostAuthor: RALPHARAMA » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:44 pm

Ginger Bear wrote:
vduk wrote:

Probably not :evil:
Ralph Ferrand

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#95 PostAuthor: paul doran » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:27 pm

Ralph I have a perfect ECU loom and comes with a good ECU as stated
way too many Zeds

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#96 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:30 pm

vduk wrote:
Ginger Bear wrote:

Probably not :evil:

I might have one that does............... Now, how much did you pay me for that watch? :sou :bla

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D

Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

weaver
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#97 PostAuthor: weaver » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:47 am

excellent job,keep it going :wink:

RUDDY
100Club
100Club

#98 PostAuthor: RUDDY » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:04 pm

Lovely build, keep up the good work.

I nearly bought a new lamp for the 1100R from the States, the part number on the box was correct, as was the bargain price, but viewing the pics closely it had no hole in the rear of the lens for the separate side light bulb, gotta keep them peeled on EBay.

Cheers, Paul
85 Z1100R-1

RALPHARAMA
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#99 PostAuthor: RALPHARAMA » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:51 pm

She is pretty much finished now, except that she doesn't run so good.

The FI is running her weak, despite hours spent pissing about with it. I borrowed a special tool to set up the TPS up and today I measure the fuel pressure on the rail which appears to be about right. She pulls like a train between 3 and 5 thousand. Obviously with an effectively new engine I can't Rev her any higher than that. Bit lumpy under three K :evil: Not sure where to go now. Ultimately I want to fit a power commander, but she'll need to be run in before I can set that up on a dyno, but I'm not keen to run her in running so lean.
Ralph Ferrand

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#100 PostAuthor: paul doran » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:56 pm

Looks brilliant Ralph worth all the woes
way too many Zeds

Dunlop4
100Club
100Club

#101 PostAuthor: Dunlop4 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:42 pm

Look's great Ralph.

Taffus

#102 PostAuthor: Taffus » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:52 pm

snotie1965
100Club
100Club

#103 PostAuthor: snotie1965 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:08 pm

that looks stunning !! top job ,,,,, the seat looks iffy ??

have you plug chopped it ? if it is not to lean ,run it in, and then get it dynoed?

you hardly ever see uni-traks any more, and standard ones to this standard !!

well done ...........Andy..

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#104 PostAuthor: garyd » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Impressive Ralph.
Better than when it first rolled out the shop!

Z1parR
Hardcore
Hardcore

#105 PostAuthor: Z1parR » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:04 pm

garyd wrote:Impressive Ralph.
Better than when it first rolled out the shop!

absolutely + 1 :up

runs a fuckin sight better than you do though mate :wink:
0172 . Geoff Parr

Return to “Projects”