Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Gee Pea Zed Unitrak

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

RALPHARAMA
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

Gee Pea Zed Unitrak

#1 PostAuthor: RALPHARAMA » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:21 pm

I fell in love with a GPZ1100 Unitrak. The bike has propa DFI (Digital Fuel Injection) which is complete and working. At first glance it looked pretty tidy. The tank had sprung a leak, trashing the paint. Bit of an anomaly as the paint was well put on, but the graphics were really shit having been produced on a solvent based injet (sign printer). The bike came with another tank which my mate has sealed for me with some epoxy type stuff. At stafford I bought some good well made graphics.

I started pulling off the plastics only to discover that some previous owner in the bike's past was a total animal and had blown paint over a very corroded bike with virtually no prep except where it shows. Such a shame. I wish at this point to emphasize that I'm pretty use that the guy I bought it off was not the villain, and I suspect had no idea of the terrible shape this bike is in under the surface.

As you can see at first look the bike looks pretty good:

Another issue is that a past owner tried to brace up the fairing ... I guess, but trashed the inner fairing in the process -

Here's the tank that sprung a leak; you can see the nasty graphics combined with nice paint work :shock:

Here's the sealed tank ready for repainting - I feel a lot of paint stripping coming!

The forks are pretty pitted and clearly someone has tried to remove the rust with an abrasive - I think I'll have to get these beggars re-chromed
:evil:

The battery box bottom missed the very directional paint job - think I'll look out for a newer one :evil:

This has to be the worst air filter I have ever seen :shock:

Getting the fuel rail off the top of the injectors was bloody nearly impossible - the rubber pipes wee virtually welded to it. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to injection, but I can't see how the short little pipes can be removed from the individual injectors.

The motor will have to be completely stripped down to the last nut, bolt and ping-fuck, to remove the paint where is had been blasted onto completely unprepared, dirty, gritty parts -

Sadly, some talentless arsehole with a Chinese DIY welder has repair some rot on the bottom frame rail where the side stand attaches :evil:

The starter cover demonstrates the method of cynical spam it up cheap and punt it on style paint that was inflicted on this fine bike

The clutch was incredibly hard and when I tried to remove the cable I found out why; it was completely devoid of lubrication and the outer was so corroded into the final drive cover I had to clamp the cable outer in the vice and tug like feck on the cover to get it out :shock:

On the outside of the frame tubes they look great- quality thick glossy paint - on the other side -

The paint went over wiring, pipes, control cables etc

I have a new tip for those trying to get the engine mounting bolts out of rubber mounted Zed engines! As usual the bolts on this engine were welded solid to the steel inner of the rubber bit, and as usual I beat the crap out of the bolt end with a drift and heavy ball pein hammer with little or no effect :evil: then I had a good idea - I took the pointy tool from my breaker in the lathe and machined it down a bit and the tried that - it worked a treat :shock: :D

Jak came round and gave me a hand lifting the lump out. I think I' get he frame powder coated, but I'll paint the rest of the black stuff with two pack polyurethane.

I will have to do a bit of in depth learning about the wizardry of fuel injection - ideally I want to fit more modern injectors and a way of controlling it fully - probably a power commander.

These we going to take some cleaning up - I still have to try and get the remains of the throttle cable outer out!

Despite the irritating abuse this bike has suffered, I am petty excited about making it into a proper bike I can be proud of!
Ralph Ferrand
Z1000A1 (1977), Godier Genoud Z1300A5 (1983), Z900A4 Stock (1976), Z900A4 Special (project), GPZ1100 Unitrak (1983), ZRX1200R (2004) DT175MX (1981).

http://www.bikerstoolbox.co.uk

Don't be caught out http://www.dhlparcels.info/

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:06 pm

So here we go again then Ralphy - I'll be watching with great interest - may give me some inspirac=tion for me new Z900 heap I picked up this morning :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Z1parR
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Z1parR » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:25 pm

Another great project Ralph , ya feckin masochist :wink:
0172 . Geoff Parr

neilbarrett
ZedHead
ZedHead

#4 PostAuthor: neilbarrett » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:06 pm

when buying a bike I always ask for the removel of the tank ,seat and sidepanels to see what its like under neath

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Padders » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:30 pm

You can fix it Ralph if its not a challenge its not worth doing. Look forward to the updates over the winter.
PUM 13

RALPHARAMA
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#6 PostAuthor: RALPHARAMA » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:18 pm

When I buy bikes for other people I am cold and clinical about it - when they're for me - it's just lust. I am unable to see faults and imperfections :lol:

I truly don't care, despite my moaning - I'll get lots of pleasure turning it into a machine to proud of. I will be so much more proud because I will have made it what it will be. Perhaps that's why I always buy lemons :lol:

Did a bit more since posting -

Ralph Ferrand
Z1000A1 (1977), Godier Genoud Z1300A5 (1983), Z900A4 Stock (1976), Z900A4 Special (project), GPZ1100 Unitrak (1983), ZRX1200R (2004) DT175MX (1981).

http://www.bikerstoolbox.co.uk

Don't be caught out http://www.dhlparcels.info/

LTD Project
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: LTD Project » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:27 pm

Good luck with this one. I will be watching the progress with interest.
Help and motivation always required......
KZ1000 B4 under light restoration.

Z1parR
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Z1parR » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:42 pm

It's good to see somebody working the way that i do :- ie standing in the middle of a plane crash :wink:
0172 . Geoff Parr

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:23 am

That's gonna keep you busy Ralph :shock:

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

Taffus

#10 PostAuthor: Taffus » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:06 am

I sense another west country masterclass in the offing! :D

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#11 PostAuthor: paul doran » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:50 pm

great to see You taking this setback so easy Ralph

good luck with this I will be watching closely
way too many Zeds

pluto
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: pluto » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi Ralph,
Nice to see another unitrak being revived. I have just started doing mine and its in a similar state of disrepair. It will appear in projects section as soon as time allows so useful tips can be exchanged.
Good Luck
Dave

Nosher903
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: Nosher903 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:39 pm

Nice one Ralph. I've always fancied one of those.
Z1b, GPZ900r, XJR1300

LondonZ1
100Club
100Club

#14 PostAuthor: LondonZ1 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Ralph, I always find your projects both educational and entertaining to follow. This looks like it will be another fantastic one. How you manage to remain committed and cheerful when faced with world-class bodging beats me.

This project will be especially interesting for me as my next bike is a 750 Turbo, which has a similar injection system. I have been thinking of fitting modern injectors and ECU as the 1100/750 system is pretty crude by modern standards. I am also thinking of fitting a modern turbo. So, keep us posted on your plans for the injection system please. There are several companies who make modular fuel injection systems for motorsport applications. I have had to promise the CEO not to start on the turbo until next year but that gives me plenty of time for planning.

Good luck!

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#15 PostAuthor: Pigford » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:23 pm

LondonZ1 wrote:Ralph, I always find your projects both educational and entertaining to follow. This looks like it will be another fantastic one. How you manage to remain committed and cheerful when faced with world-class bodging beats me.

This project will be especially interesting for me as my next bike is a 750 Turbo, which has a similar injection system. I have been thinking of fitting modern injectors and ECU as the 1100/750 system is pretty crude by modern standards. I am also thinking of fitting a modern turbo. So, keep us posted on your plans for the injection system please. There are several companies who make modular fuel injection systems for motorsport applications. I have had to promise the CEO not to start on the turbo until next year but that gives me plenty of time for planning.

Good luck!

You wanna get on www.oldskoolperformance.com for some useful info :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Return to “Projects”