Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Well New Project time!

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#226 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Believe it or not I spent most of the weekend working on the bike! Classic two steps forward and one step back, worked out where I am going to put the electric bits and mounted them in place, used rubber mounts for the coils and dyna 2000. I was a trial and error as I had to make sure the fairing/tank fitted when in place, going to mount the starter relay under the seat.
Also had to chop the bottom (unused) mounts on the oil cooler as these where catching on the fairing, next week I have to get the fairings to fit properly and then start laying the wires out ready.

Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

HowieD
100Club
100Club

#227 PostAuthor: HowieD » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:43 am

Watch out where you mount the m-Unit the manual says it has to be away from the coils. Mine is under the seat to be sure

Make sure the ignition is suppressed too - I can vouch for that one !
CD185, Maggot, Z1-R, Horace, Monster 620ie

Kev1R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#228 PostAuthor: Kev1R » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:53 am

My concern would be mounting something the weight of a battery so high.- especially for a bike where performance is a factor.

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#229 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:22 am

HowieD wrote:Watch out where you mount the m-Unit the manual says it has to be away from the coils. Mine is under the seat to be sure

Make sure the ignition is suppressed too - I can vouch for that one !

I thought it was just the ignition key fob start that couldn't be near the coils, didn't read about the M-unit, I'll have a look at the weekend. I could mount that in the tail, I put in the front as I thought it would be easier and less wires!
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

HowieD
100Club
100Club

#230 PostAuthor: HowieD » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:56 am

Kev1R wrote:My concern would be mounting something the weight of a battery so high.- especially for a bike where performance is a factor.

That's a usual place for a battery on a Harris

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#231 PostAuthor: Pigford » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:56 pm

HowieD wrote:
Kev1R wrote:My concern would be mounting something the weight of a battery so high.- especially for a bike where performance is a factor.

I'm using a lithium ion battery - been 3 yrs now, no probs & weighs Fook All :twisted:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#232 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Pigford wrote:
HowieD wrote:

I'm using a lithium ion battery - been 3 yrs now, no probs & weighs Fook All :twisted:

I can't get one down here Mark, just went with the biggest cranking amps that fits!

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#233 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:07 pm

HowieD wrote:Watch out where you mount the m-Unit the manual says it has to be away from the coils!

I read the manual last night and you're spot on, so I'll be moving it to the back at some point this week. Need to do this so I can measure my leads to the starter and earth leads, going to make these at work.

Might be done this weekend! :D

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#234 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:00 pm

Spent all weekend doing the electrics! Moved the Motogadget M-box to the rear and the Dyna to the front, messed about with it and in the end spat my dummy out and removed the whole lot, took the rear shelf off as well and welded up the holes I've drilled as I wasn't happy with the position and look. Going to use the large piece of board I have an lay the wires and electrical components out first, also after watching a couple of video's on youtube I'll be buying some switches from Motogadget. Its a simple system when you watch youtube but I can't get my head round it!

HowieD
100Club
100Club

#235 PostAuthor: HowieD » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:07 am

Is Vic There wrote: I'll be buying some switches from Motogadget.

Can I suggest you have a look around before buying the motogadget handlebar switches. They are very fiddly to wire up - 3mm cross point screws inside. The Wires have to go inside the handlebars, unless you cut away the sidewalls to accommodate them. Plus when they are fitted to the bars there's no real water protection. I had a set up with three double switches and binned them all and fitted racing sets from:
http://www.bikesportdevelopments.co.uk/searchresults.asp?cat=1963

They will make to order - switch function type and colour. I had them made up wit all the earths to a single wire. A bit pricey but in theory the IP67 rating means they will work underwater ! (prolly not an issue where you live though)

As for the complexity, have a look at the manual; their diagram makes it easier to understand also look at the m-Button too - that's a pretty amazing bit of kit- all the handle bar switches connect to it and one single green wire to the m-Unit - saves a lot of wiring along the length of the bike.

regards
Howie

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#236 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:02 am

Thanks Howie,

I'll shoot them an email tonight and see what they can work out for me.

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#237 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:29 pm

Hey Howie,

Emailed them last night and have not got a reply yet, are they ok to deal with?

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#238 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:19 am

I know the wires need extending and also shortening, the ends need crimping and soldering, I also need to make my mind up on switch gear. I know I need to wire the starting circuit in as well.

But here you go, here's my wiring loom!

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#239 PostAuthor: Al » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:56 am

Can i get the diagram for that when youre done i need to do the same thing :shock:

1981 J1

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#240 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:28 pm

HowieD wrote:

Howie,

Do these switches work like the Motogadget ones, press once for the lights to come on, press the same button for high beam?

As you know using a standard handlebar switch I have to wire the park lights separate so they are on all the time, using these would be the same or would it?

Return to “Projects”