Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Well New Project time!

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#31 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:39 am

I have bought the Z1000R motor, just checked the Z1000R that is in my shed and it is exactly the same as the bloody GPz1100, FFS should have checked instead if listening to other people! Especially since I have the engine and bike two feet away from each other!

I've just gone and found this email which I have obviously interpreted to mean the Z1000R as well!

"The frame accepts the Z900 engines as well as the Z1000 engines"

So I've made a complete t**t out of myself and bought something that will not fit! So if anyone wants a fully rebuilt Z1000R engine (I have checked the engine number in Z powers web site) let me know, I'm either going to have to go ahead with the deal or let the seller know I'm a t**t and pay him the listing fee!

FFS nowts gone right with this project

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops:
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

weaver
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#32 PostAuthor: weaver » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:58 am

I was also wondering about the motor fitment,hopefully the seller will be reasonable :wink:

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#33 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:59 am

Anyone got an engine to sell :roll:
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#34 PostAuthor: garyd » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:30 pm

Why can't youjust remove the rubber mounts and fit solid ones in their place?

It's just a metal mounting point on the frame to a mounting point on the engine.

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#35 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:37 pm

garyd wrote:Why can't youjust remove the rubber mounts and fit solid ones in their place?

It's just a metal mounting point on the frame to a mounting point on the engine.

It's not as simple as that Gary, the mount's on the earlier 'kickstart' motor are in a different place to those on the later non kickstart motors.

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

Taffus

#36 PostAuthor: Taffus » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:08 pm

I wonder how far out the mounts are. You could get solid mounts made with an eccentric hole ("down Jimmock, down")

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#37 PostAuthor: garyd » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:50 pm

Ginger Bear wrote:
garyd wrote:Why can't youjust remove the rubber mounts and fit solid ones in their place?

It's not as simple as that Gary, the mount's on the earlier 'kickstart' motor are in a different place to those on the later non kickstart motors.

I just don't recall having an issue as I know I pulled out my A4 from my Harris and put an 1100 B2 in.

I will admit my Harris was a Pre-Magnum and was one of their 'racing' frames but it was essentially the same. ( I had to make my own sidestand Bracket etc)

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#38 PostAuthor: garyd » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:03 pm

Only Photo I can find...in the process of Turboing.

GPz front end just slotted in and the front Dymag wasn't an issue either.
Made my own Fibreglass tank, Turbo link pipe and Plenum chamber.

And before ypu think I'm clever...remember I blew it up...

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#39 PostAuthor: Pigford » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:40 pm

Harris do a conversion for the Magnum frame - from the Z900 motor fitment - to accept a "J" motor :!:

Give 'em a shout :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

KWACKERZ1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#40 PostAuthor: KWACKERZ1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:59 pm

Why all the speculation about this guys, ?

Vic's frame is at Harris they have told him what is and is'nt recommended and they have said his would not fit a later style engine, so I cannot understand the debate.

The thing with these frames is that no two are ever exactly the same there always seems to be slight differences and there's no such thing as a production Harris. I had two Mag1's sitting side by side and things on them were different.

Also these frames wrap so tightly round the engines that they are a close tolerance fit to get the rigidity and if you start making hanging brackets and adapters to mount the wrong engine then surely that would compromise the handling and lose the point of having one in the first place.

Personally I would go with what they recommend as they will then produce a quality piece of work for you.

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#41 PostAuthor: garyd » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:52 pm

Not debating or trying to change anyone's mind.

Just saying I did it with no issues.

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#42 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:00 pm

Is Vic There wrote:
Hi Ian,
Steve Harris, Lester Harris and myself have had a good, long look at your rolling chassis.
We have concluded that repair and modification of the old frame to fit the GPz1100 engine will exceed the cost of a new frame.
We estimate that it would take about 50 hours @ £65/hour.
What we recommend is to repair the old frame back to original Z1A spec.
Then build a new frame and export it to you through Steve Clancy; who successfully imports many frame kits for road and racing.
Steve Clancy's contact details are as follows
469 Water Street
Hay
NSW 2711
Australia
gs1000sr@hotmail.com
This is the cost for repairing the old frame.
Strip, check and prepare for blast cleaning including transportation - 3 hours @£65/h
Rebuild seat subframe to original spec. 5 hours @£65/hr (rebuilding to modified spec will take the same time)

As above, they can alter is but it will cost 3250 quid, which is more than a new frame, they have said that if I wanted to carry on I should buy a new frame. However, I would not ne able to bring a new frame into Australia because it is near impossible to do this, Norton are still trying to jump through the hoops and cut the red tape so little old me would have no chance!

To re do the seat sub frame, check the whole frame out and take the frame back to fit a early engine will cost 520 quid, I have already got import approval for this frame.

Harris have explained that there is not enough room behind the frame down tubes to fit the exhaust manifold, I have found out than each frame is different, Harris have no records for early frames! The year my frame was built they changed the rear end to except a wide wheel/tyre combination but do not know which frames have this!

weaver
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#43 PostAuthor: weaver » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:50 pm

I see the motor is back on ebay

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#44 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:13 pm

weaver wrote:I see the motor is back on ebay

Good on him, its a good buy for someone.

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#45 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:55 pm

weaver wrote:I see the motor is back on ebay

It is a good buy for someone. I need some dosh.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Return to “Projects”