Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1R - The Work Begins!

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

ted1r
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

pst

#31 PostAuthor: ted1r » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:58 pm

Nice job and another to swell the ranks.

Ted
"Work this is why I did it"

KE250
KZ1200
Puch Maxi
Be careful with Pensions :e
and me ol Granada

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

Re: Z1R - The Work Begins!

#32 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Sat May 13, 2017 2:09 am

IMG_2806.JPG

Almost ready to put the tank back on but the fuel sender unit doesn't seem to be working?
I'm assuming they work on a variable resistance but I've hooked a multimeter up to it and the readings are all over the place - I've also had it plugged into the loom and the fuel gauge doesn't move when I move the sender float. Anyone have a working one they'd be happy to sell or know of a test procedure?

Seems my only other option is a new Doremi unit but I'm not too sure if they're any good?

Mine was definitely working when I took it out a few years ago!
(Believe it's Part code 52005-1002)

Cheers
Let The Good Times Roll...........

KeithZ1R

#33 PostAuthor: KeithZ1R » Sat May 13, 2017 9:06 am

Looking good Andy :up , see you have elected to keep the american lighting control wiring. So out of curiosity what does exactly it do ? none of mine ever worked due to earlier butchering. As for the sender careful bending of the tangs will allow you to remove the cover on the rheostat and you could try cleaning up the coil winding
Keith
:bop :gom

You can never have too many tools in your life, except the two legged variety

I'm never wrong, once I thought I was but I was
mistaken.

Phil Churchett winner 2013

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#34 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Sun May 14, 2017 4:09 am

Hi Keith,

Eagle-eyed as always! Not 100% sure but think the only real difference with US wiring is the reserve lighting system? (i.e. keeps the headlight and rear light on if one of the filaments burn out) and the lights should be switched on when the ignition switch is turned on? (mine doesn't do this so may have been modded?)
Thanks for the fuel sender info

Cheers,

Andy

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#35 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:05 pm

Haven't been able to do much on the bike over the past few months and hit a bit of a wall with progress once I got back to working on it - couldn't get any fluid through to the rear caliper (I'd thoroughly cleaned everything, replaced all master cylinder and caliper internals and fitting a new brake hose). After trying everything else, I finally sorted it by...................... stripping the master cylinder (again!) and cleaning out the two holes under the side bolt (supply and relief ports?).
Rear Master Cylinder Stripped.JPG

Rear caliper was stripped again and everything was rechecked
Rear Caliper Stripped (Before Reassembly).JPG

After reassembly, fluid was bled through with a Mityvac and brake seems spot on now - pretty much everything changed for new and the pipe's back on!. On the home straight!
Brakes Done - Exhaust Silencer Fitted.JPG

DavidZ1R
Hardcore
Hardcore

#36 PostAuthor: DavidZ1R » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:57 pm

bulldogbobby wrote:Hi Keith,

Eagle-eyed as always! Not 100% sure but think the only real difference with US wiring is the reserve lighting system? (i.e. keeps the headlight and rear light on if one of the filaments burn out) and the lights should be switched on when the ignition switch is turned on? (mine doesn't do this so may have been modded?)
Thanks for the fuel sender info

Cheers,

Andy

Also on the American model the indicators on the front are wired to have a permanent light on.
CB125 GT380 CB750F1 Z1R GPZ 750 Turbo Z1R

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#37 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Also on the American model the indicators on the front are wired to have a permanent light on.[/quote]

Mine must be 'UK' spec - indicators are wired as normal :up

KeithZ1R

#38 PostAuthor: KeithZ1R » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:02 pm

bulldogbobby wrote:Also on the American model the indicators on the front are wired to have a permanent light on.

Mine must be 'UK' spec - indicators are wired as normal :up

Stateside/Canadian models had three wire indicators and dual filament bulbs
Keith
:bop :gom

You can never have too many tools in your life, except the two legged variety

I'm never wrong, once I thought I was but I was
mistaken.

Phil Churchett winner 2013

pertonpc
ZedHead
ZedHead

#39 PostAuthor: pertonpc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:41 pm

I had a doremi fuel sender unit.

Worked fine but the shroud is hard plastic ( not soft rubber like original) and it showed underneath the tank slightly if fitted.

Think the factory shroud will fit if you still have a decent one.

Have some pics if needed.
Z1-R D1, Z650 B2, Z1-B & ZRX 1200 A1P Catch 'em if you can at www.Zedrider.co.uk

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#40 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:03 am

Nice work,credit to you!
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

Graham-A2
Regular Poster

#41 PostAuthor: Graham-A2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Lovely job - really good looking Z1R too.

Curious about your rear brake reservoir rebuild as I have one on the bench at the minute that's resisting me a little. The reservoir is pretty old and gungy and I'm struggling to get the piston out under the reservoir. It's presently sitting upside down and had a good dowsing of penetrating oil all over the piston (hopefully getting down the bore. Is there a trick to remove / unseize? I also didn't spot that the plastic discs at the bottom of the reservoir come out.... do these unscrew or just need gentle persuasion ? Can't remember to manual being too useful when I last looked.
Present
Red '78 KZ - rebuilt from engine up
Other wheels - Couple of old Guzzi's
Past 1994 - 2010
Luminous Green '78 KZ import [BLE 656S]

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#42 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:57 am

Graham-A2 wrote:Lovely job - really good looking Z1R too.

Curious about your rear brake reservoir rebuild as I have one on the bench at the minute that's resisting me a little. The reservoir is pretty old and gungy and I'm struggling to get the piston out under the reservoir. It's presently sitting upside down and had a good dowsing of penetrating oil all over the piston (hopefully getting down the bore. Is there a trick to remove / unseize? I also didn't spot that the plastic discs at the bottom of the reservoir come out.... do these unscrew or just need gentle persuasion ? Can't remember to manual being too useful when I last looked.

I had the same problem with the piston - mine was stuck fast but I got it out by drilling and tapping it.
Rear Master Cylinder Threaded Piston.JPG

Rear Master Cylinder - Old Piston.JPG

Rear Master Cylinder (Old Piston ).JPG

You've probably got this already?

Rear Brake Schematic.JPG

The plastic disc is held into the reservoir by small plastic tabs - just lever them out of the body (gently!) - Good Luck!

Graham-A2
Regular Poster

#43 PostAuthor: Graham-A2 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:10 am

Brilliant - thank you, that is certainly the sort of solution I think I need. That piston seizes well in there doesn't it !

Thanks also on the strip out of the discs from the reservoir cup. I was thinking of this just to make sure that I thoroughly cleaning any crud out of there. Will probably review once I shift that piston out and see if I actually have a problem. Looks easy enough with care, hadn't spotted the plastic tabs keeping it all together.

Many thanks for the help Bobby
Present
Red '78 KZ - rebuilt from engine up
Other wheels - Couple of old Guzzi's
Past 1994 - 2010
Luminous Green '78 KZ import [BLE 656S]

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#44 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:14 am

Graham-A2 wrote:Brilliant - thank you, that is certainly the sort of solution I think I need. That piston seizes well in there doesn't it !

Thanks also on the strip out of the discs from the reservoir cup. I was thinking of this just to make sure that I thoroughly cleaning any crud out of there. Will probably review once I shift that piston out and see if I actually have a problem. Looks easy enough with care, hadn't spotted the plastic tabs keeping it all together.

Many thanks for the help Bobby

No probs mate - just remember to clean out the two holes under the side bolt (think one is the supply port and the other (smaller) one is the relief port. I cleaned mine out with a set of safety pins I bought from my local hardware shop for a quid - after trying wire brush bristles and cable strands, that worked a treat! Good Luck

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#45 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:12 pm

Well, it's taken me a while but I finally got there!

Apart from a couple of minor cosmetic bits, the Z1R's finally finished and I've had a brilliant Summer on it!
I've always 'tinkered' with bikes in the past and had a (relatively small) bit of mechanical knowledge but never attempted anything at all like this and after my first post :D , it's fair to say it's definitely been a very steep learning curve!

I don't post on here too often but the knowledge and information gained from this site has been invaluable so thanks to all that have helped along the way. Got plenty of pics of the bike at various stages of the rebuild and didn't know what to put on here so attached a few of the 'finished' bike. Anybody want any more - just let me know.

There were plenty of times when things didn't go the way I wanted them to but all I'd say to anybody else in a similar position to me when I started is take your time, take pics of everything and go for it! If I can do it - anybody can :D

Outside Spuds.jpg

Front 4 (RH side).jpg

Front.jpg

Rear 3 (From RH Side) - Copy.jpg

The Grange - Bike Night.jpg

Front Wheel (LH Side).jpg

Downpipes 2.JPG

Return to “Projects”