Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Bent Frame Saga

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

ROZZER
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#31 PostAuthor: ROZZER » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:39 am

Thanks for the comments lads, its always nice to know that your peers appreciate the effort that has gone in to the bike, its fought me all the way since buying it a year or so ago.
Don't worry Rich its not a washing machine just the tumble dryer so no flooding probs (er indoors is after pinching some of me garage for a utility room!- need to negotiate on that one :evil: ). Non standard bits a plenty, most are added bling like the extra chrome and stainless, non standard paint, front fender from Ltd etc but some are more practical hence the billet end plugs from Debben, look like standard but more trick and don't leak.
Pigford, the garage is tidier than my kitchen too, was gonna keep the bike in the conservatory, the missus issued an ultimatum, her or the bike in the house......yeh so she won, but it was a close call. The Lord works in mysterious ways and cunningly I ended up with the Bike Bubble off Ebay, brand new for ?80 (retail @?220)costs about a penny a day to run, 12v fan blows air through and exhausts through the zip. Still, damp, warm air are the worst conditions to keep any metal in, this bubble keeps air moving over the surfaces hence no condensation or corrosion, no need to heat garage either. Gonna try the same trick to get a bike lift next :idea
Davy would it help if I said I was a professional photogapher and in fact, due to the wonders of modern digital imagery the bike is actually a rusty pile of tat!!! Thought not, oh well I afraid you will have to resort to the old skinned knuckles, sweat tears and money spanner -sorry mate.
Dave I'm getting itchy palms already and I am on the look out for the next little project in the new year, looking for a cheaper bike this time, dunno what yet but watch this space and I'll put the next project on the site (do we allow non Zed projects on here, promise it won't be a M...d or H...a).
Yo Padders thanks for the kind words mate, hows the Dyson coming along, not seen any update posts lately!
What with Pigford into irons and Padders into vacuum cleaners, I don't know whats going on in this club lately, I best not mention my curling tong fettish :oops:
AKA John Roscoe. PUM #028
1975 Z1B, 1980 Yamaha 350LC

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

#32 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:52 pm

John,
Where did you get your frame done? Me & Bedlow have had two bad experiences now, one with Powder coat, the other two pack whereby the job was utter crap! ?140 down the drain so far..

Steve R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#33 PostAuthor: Steve R » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:51 pm

If you want first class powder coating use Triple S in Bingley, Andy only does Bike Bits, knows exactly what he is doing. I have used them for 20 years and Never had a problem. Rod at Classic Motor Cycle mechanics uses them for all there project Bikes including the zed in the last few issues. Can not recommend them highly enough.

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#34 PostAuthor: Rich » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:11 pm

Tumble driers - even worse, hose comes out and fills the garage with warm DAMP air! Condensation on everything even your bubble will be drowned :twisted:
Rich
diplomacy is a form of art - I was never any good at art

ROZZER
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#35 PostAuthor: ROZZER » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:29 pm

Already thought of that one Rich, hose is securely fitted into wall, problem is I'm just too considerate of the good ladies needs, modern man and all that. For example I even repaired the puncture in her push bike on her weekly shop day, I could have let her walk but that would be a little harsh as its 4 miles each way and it was raining, I could have given her the bus fare but I don't wanna spoil her (Christ I hope she never reads this).

As far as powder coat is concerned I used a local guy in Whitehaven called Clive Hasley 01946 66202, recommended by a mate of mine, he did his Z1A. You can specify the finish you want, my mate went for 70% gloss to mimic the original finish, I had 100% gloss saying to keep it thin around the frame No area and thats what I got. Finish is like glass and not too thick n gloopy like some that you see. You can specify 200% gloss (they add a clear top coat) dunno what this looks like but must very bling. He masks off all threads etc and he only does Bike and Car parts- no garden furniture etc. Saw a Norton Featherbed frame done by Clive and that too was outstanding. Just don't ask for brake parts to be powdercoated, he has real problems with these and no longer accepts them. Clive basicly set himself up along the lines of Triple S, he reckons he puts out better work ( he would tho') cos he thinks Triple S have got too big, all I know is that I am pleased with the job he did for me and I'm fussy to say the least.
AKA John Roscoe. PUM #028
1975 Z1B, 1980 Yamaha 350LC

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#36 PostAuthor: Rich » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:45 pm

You must have a real gem there :shock: Buy her one of the new condensing washer driers and them she will only have one appliance and you will have a tumble drier less garage :wink:
Although I think you should have let her fix her own puncture - The supervised practice would save hours of pushing and struggling if it happens while she is on her shopping trip :crash
Rich
diplomacy is a form of art - I was never any good at art

Return to “Projects”