Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Q's Z900 A4

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Richard Q
100Club
100Club

Q's Z900 A4

#1 PostAuthor: Richard Q » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:29 pm

I thought I would start a project thread, as I can see this becoming a life long rolling restoration :)

I bought this a few weeks ago from Edinburgh

I really wanted this, which I found on the internet a few weeks beforehand, drooll!

This is just like the first Z1 that I ever saw back in the mid 70's.

The one I bought is a 1976 Z900 imported from the US back in 1998 for the paltry sum of $400.

So far I have had to have to seat remodelled so that I could touch the ground :oops: and changed the footrests back to the original from the rearsets that it came with. Just got some M8/25mm stainless washers and dome nuts to finish that job off nicely.

There are a few mods that I like and will keep including the triple disc brakes and steering damper, but the colour scheme and exhausts will be going, in time :)

It came with - Paolo Tarozzi rearsets and fork brace, New alloy rims with stainless steel spokes, Dyna-s ignition system, coils and leads, Marving race pipe (almost brand new), Goodridge hoses front and rear, Recently fitted C & S, Koni dial-a-ride shocks, Halogen headlight conversion, Superdream regulator/rectifier conversion, K&N air filter, Steering damper, and Barrels have take-off for oil cooler.

This is a youtube video of the bike with the previous owner - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMyXYrPAOpQ

It still, in my opinion, looks a little 'jacked up,' possibly because of the non original swinging arm, so I have made up a mock shock absorber from a peice of wood to see what it would look like with 335mm shocks.

I have bought a new numberplate because much as I love the Police, I have no wish to stop and chat to them every few minutes.

Only problem now is that I do not have a spark, not one iota of a spark at all. Shame really as it's insured, MOTd and taxed as of 1st April and I want to go for a ride :evil:

Fil
100Club
100Club

#2 PostAuthor: Fil » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:21 pm

Love the shocks, they'll catch on.
Good luck with it.
Please ride it, don't hide it.
PUM # 310

Richard Q
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Richard Q » Mon May 26, 2014 8:27 pm

Started collecting stuff for the winter rebuild, although if it doesn't stop raining every ten seconds, I might start now :shock:

Haven't completely unpacked them yet, they seem so well packed I think I'll leave them until ready for them.

Somewhere, over a rainbow, weigh a pie.

1976 KZ900

Richard Q
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: Richard Q » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:31 pm

Got some more stuff

Tax runs out tomorrow, so if it doesn't rain, it will the last ride if the year. If it does rain, then :cry:

Not sure whether to paint it up in the Z1B colours above, or take it back to standard and go for the green A4 livery :??

Watch this space

1976 KZ900

Richard Q
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Richard Q » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:37 pm

Just trying to ascertain exactly what I've got here, as I know my Z has been modified somewhat. Can anyone identify these carbs?

Or the swinging arm/rear disc?

Richard

1976 KZ900

freddyz1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#6 PostAuthor: freddyz1r » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:23 am

Richard Q wrote:Not sure whether to paint it up in the Z1B colours above, or take it back to standard and go for the green A4 livery :??

or take it back to standard brown A4 livery :?:
Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

It's not me who can't keep a secret. It's the people I tell that can't.

freddyz1r
PUM 329

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#7 PostAuthor: Pigford » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:28 am

freddyz1r wrote:
Richard Q wrote:Not sure whether to paint it up in the Z1B colours above, or take it back to standard and go for the green A4 livery :??

or take it back to standard brown A4 livery :?:

Not BROWN :?? Go Green :twisted:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Crofty
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: Crofty » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:56 am

Richard Q wrote:Just trying to ascertain exactly what I've got here, as I know my Z has been modified somewhat. Can anyone identify these carbs?

Or the swinging arm/rear disc?

Richard

VM26 Mikunis if std Z900A4 or possibly VM28 if the p/o changed them. Swingarm look to be Z1000 set up inc caliper, disc has been drilled or could be a later model.

freddyz1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#9 PostAuthor: freddyz1r » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:07 am

Richard, take the carbs off and measure the internal 'throat' with some vernier calipers, this will tell you if they are 26mm or 28mm?
You can then post better pics.to identify the carbs.
or, you are more than welcome to bring them here (when you're passing) and compare to some of mine (theres a few on the 'shelf' :wink: ).
Cheers freddy :D
Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

It's not me who can't keep a secret. It's the people I tell that can't.

freddyz1r
PUM 329

ollie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#10 PostAuthor: ollie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:57 am

rear wheel is z1000 ,so if you are going for z900 you will need swingarm and a complete rear wheel including hub ,sprocket holder,brake hub and torque bar :wink:
zedsrus:"i don't know man ,i just got here myself !!"

zedward
Regular Poster

#11 PostAuthor: zedward » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:34 pm

Mr.Q , as you've already put they are not stock eheels ('alloy rim, stainless spokes' ).
So you need to check the hubs against a z1000?, brake caliper looks z1000.
Need more detailed pics to tell exactly :up

Richard Q
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: Richard Q » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:04 pm

Cheers all.

The tax ran out today, so he is now SORNed and can be taken apart :D

I'll have the carbs off soon and measure them up. The PO said they were 28mm Z1R carbs, but I don't know how to tell. Are the Z1 28mm, Z1000 28mm, and Z1R 28 carbs all the same?

The PO wasn't sure what the swinging arm was, but to be honest, I quite like the rear disc, so will probably keep that. I was more interested in it because the pads don't sweep the whole disc, and they are around 1/4" above it. So I need to know if the pads are wrong, the disc is the wrong diameter, or they are just a mismatch. The rear end also looks a little high.

I am angling towards the green but so love that candy red of the Z1B - decisions :??

Have also noticed that the front reflectors have been removed, and the steering damper is now fixed to one the mounting points.
Last edited by Richard Q on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

1976 KZ900

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#13 PostAuthor: garyd » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:39 am

You need a bigger disc :??

should be easy enough to source one.

Maybe someone on here has a naff rear disk they can send you to check if that's what you need....

Richard Q
100Club
100Club

#14 PostAuthor: Richard Q » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:43 pm

Started pulling it apart. Cams look fairly good, very little wear.

Cam bearings just starting to wear, all very clean though.

Bores are remarkably good for a 48K engine.

Head is a bit coked up. Any ideas what these little nicks are?

Never really come across little chunks missing from cylinder heads before, is this a problem?

1976 KZ900

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: garyd » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:58 am

The bores look like they have been honed as I'd expect to see a lot more vertical smoothing on them. Suspiction is that it's been apart at some time.

Must admit the 'nicks' have got me stumped.

Return to “Projects”