Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Q's Z900 A4

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

jimmock
Hardcore
Hardcore

#31 PostAuthor: jimmock » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:47 pm

It is coming together just braw!!!
Jimmock. :wnkr

SPEED IS JUST A QUESTION OF MONEY...HOW FAST DO 'YOU' WANT TO GO?

I hate people I don't like !

Richard Q
100Club
100Club

#32 PostAuthor: Richard Q » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:29 pm

Been in the garage, having a muck about

Well that looks about right, so on with the rest of the NS. Can't work out why the picture is on it's side though? edit - pic's the right way up now ?

Engine studs in and clutch sorted, had a few problems with that :shock:

Some found during stripdown,

and some my own stupid fault :(

All done now though, all shiny too :D

Fitted this bit, the old bearings were a bit notchy, so I replaced them and now they are smooth as silk. Tip here, when you have put the stem in the freezer and your wife asked if you want any dessert after tea; don't ask for ice cream!!

Now I have problems with the new pistons :?? posted in Bike Help section
Somewhere, over a rainbow, weigh a pie.

1976 KZ900

Richard Q
100Club
100Club

#33 PostAuthor: Richard Q » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:49 pm

Quick update :)

I've always liked Konis or Ikons as they call them these days, so decided to keep them but replace the seals and oil.

I must admit that I prefer the look of the standard shock with the chrome spring and cap, so asked the question of Ikon, can I get chrome springs and caps for my shocks? After around eight emails and three phone calls I finally managed to get them. They are not very customer orientated that lot :??

Whipped the spring off

Undid this bit, to reveal one of the rubber seals to be replaced. Another of the seals is inside the threaded cap.

Pulled the centre tube out and spent a while trying to pull it apart.

The join is here - basically grab a tight hold of this shoulder with one hand, and the lower tube with the other, and twist as hard as you can. After turning it a few times, it finally let go and came apart.

Then undid the lower nut (forgot to take a piccy here :oops: ) and slid the threaded cap off. Pressed the seal out and replaced it with a couple of sockets and the vice.

Top cap was more difficult, it really didn't want to budge. After soaking for a couple of days, it finally let go, and I managed to get the small seal into the top. Bit fiddly that, but got there in the end.

Back together with the new springs and caps, best of both worlds :)

Nowt wrong with the front forks, they look ok, and work fine. One little thing is that someone once tried to remove the cap with their teeth :toothy

Bit of confusion with the spring length as the Z1, which I have the manual for is 495.5mm with a service limit of 485mm. Mine were 467mm :shock: . Apparently the KZ900 has springs of 465mm with a service limit of 455mm. Why mine are 2mm longer than this, I don't know :?? I have put 150ml of fresh oil in, and am waiting for it to settle, before checking the depth from the fork top, which apparently is 426mm.

Looks nice with the new caps and powder coated steering stem head.

Chrome bits have been attacked viciously with some paper towels and half a tube of Solvol Autosol, after getting a huge quote for rechroming.

1976 KZ900

Richard Q
100Club
100Club

#34 PostAuthor: Richard Q » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:39 pm

When I first got the Zed, the thread on the NS footrest pegs was pretty much FUBAR, so I ordered some new studs. The upper one tapped out easily when the inner nut was removed. The lower one seemed to be screwed in, and decided to snap off when twisted :??

Just seeing the new ones in place is a much bigger thing than anyone can imagine. It has been a nightmare.

While messing about, adding stuff to the front, I noticed that it was finely balanced on the wooden blocks and was close to tipping forward, hence the huge blocks on the back. I have now hung the rear wheel on the shocks as well, don't want it falling over, especially with me sitting in front of it :shock:

Oh, and I have put the new pistons (+0.5mm) on and also the barrels.

Also, out of idiocy, or rather just not knowing, I have removed the sump, turned the bike over and stripped out the gearchange mechanism because I could only get first gear :oops:

What a mistaka to maka :lol:

1976 KZ900

freddyz1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#35 PostAuthor: freddyz1r » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:32 pm

Good pics richard and an interesting read.
keep up the good work :up
cheerz freddy :D
Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

It's not me who can't keep a secret. It's the people I tell that can't.

freddyz1r
PUM 329

Steve Cooke
ZedHead
ZedHead

#36 PostAuthor: Steve Cooke » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:47 pm

What was the problem with the gear change mechanism? as you cannot engage all the gears without the engine turing over.

CAT3
100Club
100Club

#37 PostAuthor: CAT3 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:05 pm

From memory there's three ball bearings in one of the gearbox shafts so that shaft has to be spinning to select anything other than first gear. Made the same mistake myself, many years ago !!

Richard Q
100Club
100Club

#38 PostAuthor: Richard Q » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:26 am

Cheers Freddy, it's certainly a steep learning curve, bit of fun though.

Nothing wrong with the gear change Steve, I just didn't know you couldn't get 2nd or above without the engine running :oops:

Tried to fit the battery case back in today, but when I stripped the bike, the rear of the battery case was welded to the cross member, and badly at that. I have fitted the front to the detachable cross member, but will need to make up a bracket for the rear fixing.

Before I started stripping it down, I took a load of pictures,

It's not until now that I noticed there is no breather pipe, the oil breather is open to the air, and the short pipe coming from the airbox is plugged at the top. The inlet tube holder plate is missing from the airbox and the fixing holes are filled with silicone and covered in gaffa tape. The airbox cap is made from gaffa tape too. Started cleaning it up today, and have put an ad in the wanted section.

I am assuming the incorrect battery box is down to the rear disc brake being fitted, and room being required for the mater cylinder et al - I could be wrong though :D

Richard

1976 KZ900

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#39 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:00 am

Great read this :D keep the pictures coming, I've learned quite a bit, I wouldn't have known that you can't select gears without the engine running!
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#40 PostAuthor: Pigford » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:15 am

Is Vic There wrote:Great read this :D keep the pictures coming, I've learned quite a bit, I wouldn't have known that you can't select gears without the engine running!

It's actually the bike MOVING that enables gear selection into 2nd - the relevant gear shaft has to turn to allow the little bearings to move :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Steve Cooke
ZedHead
ZedHead

#41 PostAuthor: Steve Cooke » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:05 pm

Pigford wrote:
Is Vic There wrote:Great read this :D keep the pictures coming, I've learned quite a bit, I wouldn't have known that you can't select gears without the engine running!

It's actually the bike MOVING that enables gear selection into 2nd - the relevant gear shaft has to turn to allow the little bearings to move :wink:

Difficult to move the bike if it has no wheels on it when it's on the bench! but you can rotate the engine by the output shaft. :)

Z1B Alan
100Club
100Club

#42 PostAuthor: Z1B Alan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:28 pm

Just to let you know the picture of the Z1B is my old bike the picture was taken at the Ponderosa N orth Wales.
They run, They break , You spend and so it goes on

Richard Q
100Club
100Club

#43 PostAuthor: Richard Q » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:36 am

Z1B Alan wrote:Just to let you know the picture of the Z1B is my old bike the picture was taken at the Ponderosa N orth Wales.

Awesome machine that. That is the picture which finally spurred me into going out and getting a Zed. Why on earth would you sell that?

Cheers

Richarfd

1976 KZ900

Richard Q
100Club
100Club

#44 PostAuthor: Richard Q » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:42 pm

The first time I openend the seat on my newly acquired Zed, I was faced with this. The rear of the battery box had been welded to the frame. OK it can't really be seen normally, but I wanted to fix this bit.

I cut it off, filed the frame back to where it should be, then had the frame powder coated. Now to make up a bracket and get it looking better.

Using an old Scott's porage oats box (Seems strange they can't spell, 'Porridge?' ) I started getting the required shape.

Bought a new rubber mounting kit, and test fitted it to the bike.

Transferred the shape to some 1mm plate I had lying around, then after a bit of panel beating, and sawing later, new bracket was fitted and painted up ready for the battery. I have started cleaning up the plastic mudguard with some 600 wet & dry, followed by 2000. More of that later, if I ever get it right :oops:

Even the box itself seemed shocked at the transformation :lol:

1976 KZ900

Richard Q
100Club
100Club

#45 PostAuthor: Richard Q » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:01 am

Also got some engine work done :D

Head on, all timed up, counted to 28 a couple of times, just to make sure :)

Swinging arm back in, I can almost hear it running :shock:

1976 KZ900

Return to “Projects”