Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

My Ultimate Zed

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Swirl
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: My Ultimate Zed

#151 PostAuthor: Swirl » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:28 pm

Think I've just done a sex wee in my undies, very nice :vcool

Zomerset Zed
100Club
100Club

#152 PostAuthor: Zomerset Zed » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:48 pm

Think I've just done a sex wee in my undies, very nice :vcool

"Sticky white love piss" - copyright League of Gentlemen :hah!

Zomerset Zed
100Club
100Club

Running!

#153 PostAuthor: Zomerset Zed » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:03 pm

So after 3 1/2 years of obsessiveness here it is running, but not finished yet....

IMG_20170816_152605.jpg

IMG_20170816_152934.jpg

Major things to sort out are:

Paint
New front bottom yoke
Carburation

I have an A4 page full of snag list :lol:

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#154 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:54 pm

Congratulations !! :up
Looks stunning , hope you get the "to do list" shorter and even finished!
Let the good times roll ! :resp
Cheers
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#155 PostAuthor: Pigford » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Feckin' beautiful :drool :drool :drool
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Zomerset Zed
100Club
100Club

#156 PostAuthor: Zomerset Zed » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:09 pm

Congratulations !! :up
Looks stunning , hope you get the "to do list" shorter and even finished!
Let the good times roll ! :resp
Cheers
Philippe

Cheers :beer

Have made a start already, but still a lot of little jobs to do, but i will "finish" this bike soon as i have my next project already in the shed :press

Zomerset Zed
100Club
100Club

#157 PostAuthor: Zomerset Zed » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:11 pm

Feckin' beautiful :drool :drool :drool

Thanks, it has Piggy parts inside :save

wheelysteve
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#158 PostAuthor: wheelysteve » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:47 pm

Proper job, as they say down your neck of the woods !!
1975 Z1B Candy Red/Blue
1975 Dogs Z1B
1976 Z900 A4
1977 Z650B1
1978 Z650B2
1978 KZ1000D Z1R
Yam Tracer 900GT

PUM 710

Zomerset Zed
100Club
100Club

#159 PostAuthor: Zomerset Zed » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:34 am

My new bottom yoke fresh off the CNC mill:

IMG_20171201_125924.jpg

IMG_20171201_125936.jpg

After some dimensional/fitting checks all ok and off to Mikey with some other parts for polish/black anodising.

After my first real outing i appeared to have a huge oil leak from the cam chain tunnel, head barrels joint. I suspected the nitrile seal has got pinched during assembly, so off with the head and this is what ive found:

IMG_20170822_132355.jpg

IMG_20170822_132433.jpg

A bit more than a pinch!

It appears that some clown (me) has neglected to de-burr the edhes of the seal recess in the barrels after we did a skim after the liners were installed. How did i miss this!! So out with the die grinder, rags filling the tunnel and Henry on full suck:

IMG_20170822_171731.jpg

IMG_20170822_171737.jpg

IMG_20170822_171746.jpg

Hopefully that will fix it and good job i had a spare seal.

Now on to the starter assembly saga:

When i first tried starting the engine all was fine and the bike fired up straight away albeit slowly as the engine is very tight with new rings/liners. Fast forward a few weeks and i started having problems with the main ring gear spinning on the crank and not engaging the clutch. On inspection it turns out that the problem is multi-fold:

I have the plain (non-keyed) rotor fitted to the old style keyed crank. This crank only has an M8 retaining bolt in the end rather than the M10 on the non-keyed crank. You cant get enough torque on to the M8 bolt to hold the rotor to the taper without a key in there.

I also discovered that there should be a rubberized washer between the ring gear and the main bearing on the crank. There was none on my bike and no mention of it in the Haynes manual. No surprises there then. The function of this washer is to create some friction between the ring gear and the bearing face to stop the gear free-wheeling. The washer comes in 3 different thicknesses 6.3/7.3/8.3 mm. But as of now i have not been able to find a new of even used washer anywhere. So i decided a bush fix was in order at this point if only temporary.

I did a measure up of the gear and gap (tricky) and worked out that a 35mm ID lip seal with the garter spring removed and the centre cut out may fit and provide the necessary friction:

IMG_20171025_143809.jpg

The OD of the ring gear register is 35.5 mm so the remaining inner lip of the seal fits just right with a bit of persuasion and i got seals in 6,7 and 8 mm thickness although they all have slightly different OD's but all within the OD of the main bearing so they should locate ok.

I tried the 6mm first - little friction offered and it still slips< then the 7mm - better, then the 8mm which was too thick and caused the ring gear to continue to spin the starter motor once the engine fired - bizarrely!

So the 7mm, mummy bear it is.

Now to stop the rotor spinning on the crank. I put out a call and KeithZ1R graciously offered to do a rotor swap as he had a keyed one he was willing to let me have. On removing the rotor from the clutch i noticed 2 things; The retaining bolts were loose and the threads in the rotor were ovalled:

IMG_20171018_105707.jpg

Bollocks!

I tried torquing up the bolts and they were fine and held well after running a tap down to the bottom. Keith was fine with this so the swap went ahead - Cheers Keith :D

Once i had the keyed rotor i procured an appropriate woodruff key from HPC gears and fitted the starter clutch to the keyed rotor. At this point i noticed that the pressed steel plate holding the rollers in laterally has been contacting the ring gear face and the plate was not flat but was splayed outwards and catching the gear. I know what i'll do, so i panel beat it all flat again. As i was doing this the thought crossed my mind that the plate had been bent out purposefully by a previous owner as it may have been impeding the movement of the rollers and sure enough when i torqued it all up 2 of the 3 rollers were locked solid. Bollocks!

At this point i went to the pub.

I ordered a new clutch assembly, a new needle roller bearing (irregular size) and a new 7.3 mm rubber washer from CMS. When they arrived as suspected the bearing and the rubber washer were the ones for the later engine design and did not fit. Oh well i need these for my race bike so they go into the parts bin. But the clutch does fit albeit without the locating dowel feature and i can tourue it up to specs fine with the rollers free. I now have 2 sets of spare rollers, springs and guides for some reason?

So time to put it all together and it works!

Or at least it did for a while, but now slips especially when a cold day. The rubber on the edge of the lip seal is very thin and this coupled with contraction of the rubber when cold allows the friction to be lost.

Double Bugger!

Now it seems the only way to really fix this is to obtain a proper rubber washer as this has plenty of rubber in contact with the bearing face and the steel part is only a flat washer.

So if anyone has a spare (any thickness) i would be most grateful even if its used as i can shim it little if required.

Its one of these with a 35 mm ID:

damper-rubber_big92075193-02_b32c.jpg
Last edited by Zomerset Zed on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#160 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:54 am

I've got a few spare if needed :wink:

Zomerset Zed
100Club
100Club

#161 PostAuthor: Zomerset Zed » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:45 am

I've got a few spare if needed :wink:

Wicked! Any chance you can send them off to me so i can try and get this thing working properly. Beer tokens and/or any spares i may have and you want in return of course?

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#162 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:45 pm

:oops: I hit the "post" button after you said about the cam tunnel O-ring.... since then you added the stuff about the starter washer - of which I have none, sorry :shock:

Zomerset Zed
100Club
100Club

#163 PostAuthor: Zomerset Zed » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:09 pm

:oops: I hit the "post" button after you said about the cam tunnel O-ring.... since then you added the stuff about the starter washer - of which I have none, sorry :shock:

OK no sweat they seem to be unobtainable. I can get a used one from ebay or similar if i buy a used alternator or similar, otherwise i am stuck :oops:

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#164 PostAuthor: Al » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:29 pm

New one in Spain. Expensive but it is new and its the thick one so you can smooth it down if necessary!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-KAWASAKI ... SwsXVZZhyv

AL
1981 J1

Zomerset Zed
100Club
100Club

#165 PostAuthor: Zomerset Zed » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:43 pm

New one in Spain. Expensive but it is new and its the thick one so you can smooth it down if necessary!

Cheers. Don,t know why this one didn't show up on my ebay search and its the cheapest i've seen so far another one in Holland for 40 something euro and one in NZ for $70!

Return to “Projects”