Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

MkII Aussie Rebuild

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

steve bowdler
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#16 PostAuthor: steve bowdler » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:38 am

She can not complain , you are using the place mats :lol:

Z1parR
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: Z1parR » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:42 am

Looking great Nico :up
What pistons are they though ?
They're very lumpy .
0172 . Geoff Parr

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#18 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:34 am

Great job mate, every time I see a Mk11 its in WA!
Don't reckon the East Coast has any, would love one, got half a Mk11 engine going in the Harris :wink:
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

#19 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:28 pm

Z1parR wrote:Looking great Nico :up
What pistons are they though ?
They're very lumpy .

From what I have worked out is they are Arias pistons, 2mm oversize taking it out to 1075cc.
Hey Vic There, I know of one MkII in Brissy for you. Only set you back $17k !!

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

#20 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:08 am

Began engine assembly today, didn't get too far into it when had a critical failure. Had everything in and settled, placed the camshaft cap on and started doing the bolts up in cross sequence two stages up to 18 ft/lb when that horrible horrible sound and feeling happened. 35 y/o bolts get a bit old too apparently.... yep one sheered off :(

Said that' in and out' word several times, stomped my feet then saw reason. Just another hurdle, time to sit back, ponder, gather thoughts and move forward.

Best not to do these things alone so Uncle Jack kept me company

Talked to Ray my local bike engineer and he said it was more common for them to snap coming out than going in. So where too now, he suggested a mod that many racers did and go for a stud conversion on the cap. So gave him the nod to source a kit and it will be going in to him to withdraw said snapped bolt and fit the stud conversion.

ollie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#21 PostAuthor: ollie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:48 am

coming along nicely ,looks a great mk2 :wink:
zedsrus:"i don't know man ,i just got here myself !!"

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

#22 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:46 am

Cheers Olly, slowly making headway. Have the opposite problem of you guys up there at the moment I'd say, bit hot out in the shed during the day so evenings are the time to get in a few hours.
All frame and parts have been two packed in semi gloss, I did some of the smaller parts but had my sons mate do the main frame and some fiddly bits. Really happy with the outcome.

Ray, my engineer, got the snapped stud out and now the bottom end is completed, just waiting for some rubber blocks for the cam gear, cam chain guide etc etc and the whole engine can be re-assembled and then have the frame lowered onto the engine.

Also re-doing the wheels so at that stage where there are about 10 jobs on the go with no end in site, you know that frustrating part but hey its all fun.....

:lol: :lol:

ollie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#23 PostAuthor: ollie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:53 pm

looking great Nico :wink: ,its gonna be a stunner :) :) :)
zedsrus:"i don't know man ,i just got here myself !!"

njwmct
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#24 PostAuthor: njwmct » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:20 pm

zorded wrote:The most attractive looking of all the thou derivatives in my opinion and i include the J's in that.

AL

+1!

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

#25 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Well christmas morning and the troops are still in lala land so time to sneak in the shed for a little fiddling. Barrel on yesterday so couldn't resist on resting the head on for a few quick happy snaps from the cr@ppy phone camera.

Happy with the way the heart is looking...

Just need to strip and repaint the clutch cover edges.

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#26 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:01 am

Looking good there mate, keep the pictures coming.
What ignition are you going to use?
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

RGH
100Club
100Club

#27 PostAuthor: RGH » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:38 am

Coming alone fine Nico.

Hope your going to bare metal the outer edges of the head fins? They look unfinished if not. It's easier to do with the head off.

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

#28 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:03 am

RGH wrote:Coming alone fine Nico.

Hope your going to bare metal the outer edges of the head fins? They look unfinished if not. It's easier to do with the head off.

Yes only two things left, re-paint the outer rim of the clutch cover and strip back those outer edges. Just need to research how far around to go and the best way of taking it off. Thinking just wet & dry on a flat piece of wood or something. Don't want to damage the other paint !!

njwmct
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#29 PostAuthor: njwmct » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:39 am

Looks great - Merry Christmas!

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

#30 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:04 am

Well Xmas and NY done and dusted, no holidays this year so time to fiddle in the shed when cool enough. Note to self, have to Air Condition and line the shed before next summer, bloody ridiculous working in them temps. Drink to much beer to stay hydrated !!!
Over the last few weeks have managed to get the head on, tensioned and shimmed. Needed two longer bolts for the cam caps as the usual problem with two being stripped up the thread. All torqued down, still get bloody twitchy though as get near the 8 ft/lb. Clutch assembled, hub torqued, rotor torqued, so time for the big lift.
Have decided to lift this one into the frame rather than lower the frame over the motor on its side. So call of arms to daughter and wife to steady the frame while future son in law + me lifted the motor in. Had the frame wrapped and sump and oil pump was still off so just a little jiggle and in it went. Not a scratch to be found, the lad did ok so he can now have daughters hand in marriage!!!

Sitting back having a beer the other day and couldn't help but pull out the new painted gear from Doremi and do a dummy fit so I could reminisce about 30 odd years ago when I was the proud owner of a Luminous Blue MkII

The beauty of the Luminous Blue is depending on the amount and angle of the light it can pass as black at times

Sat misty eyed for a few beers then got the painted gear back inside and started fitting a few bits and pieces.
Now really want to get it back onto her feet, should've done the wheels ages ago but what the heck. Now stuffed up and sent them to be blasted and blasted they were, all over including the polished edges of the the rim and each spoke. So another delay while they get polished back smooth and to a nice shine, then paint them, tyres on, balancing, new bearings and finally will be a rolling affair in time to go on the new bikelift thats coming on Friday :D

Return to “Projects”