Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

YAH (Yet Another Harris)

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

martinz1000r
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: YAH (Yet Another Harris)

#46 PostAuthor: martinz1000r » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:55 pm

Get on with it! I thought it was only me that took years to finish a Harris. I've got an excuse as mine hates me and fights me at every possible opportunity. It's a Suzuki so not featured in here but just to keep you pushing forward here's a recent picture. More are in backyard section.

Z1000R, Moto Martin GPz, z900 A4 Crosby Replica, Harris Magnum 2, Suzuki GSXR 1100 Slabbie, SP1 Hoonda x 2, Katana 1100, Bimota SB6R and Tuatara

ruffle
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#47 PostAuthor: ruffle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:40 pm

martinz1000r wrote:Get on with it! I thought it was only me that took years to finish a Harris

One of the blokes in the Harris factory made a comment along the lines of "..hardly ever see any of these finished" so we're not alone!

On the positive side, I've already got the motor (GPz1100 A3 with 1170 slugs) pretty much ready to get the frame dropped over it.

After that it's just all the bits'n'bobs like.... sorting the fork tubes (I've got extra long ones as the bike had a 16" front wheel and clipons above the yokes), learning how to do upholstery from scratch (fitted enough pre-made covers but never started off with a sheet of material and a pile of foam), making some platework (front caliper and front engine mounts at least; easy peasy once I've worked out what I want), work out how to bolt the carbs (Keihin CR 37's that came with the 'kit') to the head (the carbs have a spigot O/D of 44mm which is a teensy bit larger than the normal rubber inlet mounts; 39mm ID IIRC).

Fortunately, I'm not scared by electrics which is where a lot of these projects stumble.

I am scared by the colour scheme though - I've been through a zillion combinations and I'm still not 100% convinced by any. Still; at least the Harris Red frame sets one line in the sand :)

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#48 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:25 pm

My Harris project has stumbled due to electrics, had a go and couldn't get my head round it. I'll start again in a few months time 1/2 way through a two stroke restorations at the moment :D
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

ruffle
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#49 PostAuthor: ruffle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:29 pm

I've always found this curious (mechanic's attitude to electrics).

People are confident enough to rebuild brakes, chassis and engines (which are far more exacting than a few wires) but a circuit diagram floors them :??

I guess we should be collectively grateful we're not trying to tackle modern bikes littered with microprocessors and CanBus systems :eek at least we can tackle our 'lectrics armed with nothing more than a multimeter and a goodly supply of fuses.

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#50 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:31 am

Ruffle,

I predict this will be a real pleasure to watch, having seen your attention to detail with you're machining & how you've finely tuned this new forum. :up :up

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

stempy
100Club
100Club

#51 PostAuthor: stempy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:47 am

Keep it going ,it took me 2 years to complete mine :D

DSC01717.JPG
PUM 451

Swirl