Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

YAH (Yet Another Harris)

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#31 PostAuthor: Pigford » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:01 pm

ruffle wrote:It's not a bad bit of kit (made by Tag-Z in Wales) but they cocked up slightly on the design as it won't rotate 180 without temporarily removing two of the slidey arm clamping screws (stop me if I'm using too many technical terms here) as they hit the uprights when you rotate it.

They should have located them on the adjacent side (90 degs round) - but looks like a handy bit if kit :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

PJ
Hardcore
Hardcore

#32 PostAuthor: PJ » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:06 pm

Big Fluff wrote:Re: the battery box.....
This is exactly why most special framed bikes become extinct!
I think the vast majority of people see special framed bikes as kit bikes (which they are in a way) and their original build spec and history don't seem to matter.
Why on earth would anyone do that to a frame :roll:

It's becoming increasingly popular to return 'Specials' back to their original specification.
The amount of Rickman bikes that are going up in value are the ones that are standard and not messed about with.
That Moto-Martin that Paul Doran had a few years ago was one of the best original examples I'd ever seen. Can't remember who bought it off here but I hope they kept it standard!

Great to see you returning it to standard too.... these Harris bikes will also start to climb in value soon.
Keep up with the great work. Will

Hi Will I have the Moto Martin,

I am afraid it is not standard...................

Paul changed the clocks from Z1R to Z900/1000 ........Naughty boy

When I got the Martin the fairing is not in great shape and the paint has reacted badly to fuel on the tank seat unit ...........

Hopefully this year it will be on the road, it's been in the garage since I bought it off Paul :cry:
WHO NEEDS DRUGS - WHEN YOU HAVE A ZED!!

ruffle
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#33 PostAuthor: ruffle » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:41 pm

Steve & Lester Harris made just that point to me today. They said they're seeing a new wave of Harris owners who are putting the bikes back to 'standard' instead of turning them into street fighters.

Don't get me wrong; I deeply admire some of the specials (Piggies, and the Manx style one that Padders had spring to mind) and my next project will be more along those lines but this one is hopefully going to answer a much younger person's desire to ave'an'arris ever since I saw Ogri cuddling a Magnum 1 on the cover of Bike magazine.

ruffle
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#34 PostAuthor: ruffle » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:40 am

Two steps forward, three steps back :(

I'd got the bottom half of the engine back together and reached the point of fitting the outer gearbox cover. I'd noticed that the spacer on the output shaft (the large one between the big bearing and the sprocket) was a bit marked where it runs in the oil seal but knew that I could flip it around so the other end would run in the seal.

'Knowing' this spacer should just slide off I hadn't tried to remove it when the shaft was out of the engine. Don't know why I didn't.... errrr... mistake.

It was stuck fast. I tried holding the output shaft and turning the spacer, soaked it in penetrating oil for a couple of days (the tilting engine stand was handy as I could rotate the engine so the shaft was vertical) and finally got the oxy-acetelene on it. Nope the bugger wasn't shifting :(

So I gave in, split the engine cases again and got a really big tool out of the cupboard.

Mistake #2.. I didn't cover the bearing assuming I could just replace it. Nope they're NLA.

Mistake #3.. trying to cut the spacer with a normal HSS tool. It chipped instantly as it tried to cut the outer surface. Out with a 'Crobalt' one that I'd had in the armoury but not used before and that worked just fine.

I took the meat of the spacer off and then made teeny tiny baby cuts for the last millimeter and the remains split off.

Curiously there was no obvious sign of why it was stuck fast on the round bit of the shaft. Perhaps it was on the teeny bit of the splined area but that section fell apart first so there wasn't much left to examine.

With the spacer gone, the bearing pulled off the shaft by hand and after finding out they're NLA had an extensive clean in the parts washer. Dried out and with a light coating of oil it sounds and feels OK so it's going back in with some Loctite Bearing Fit on the shaft as there's signs the shaft has been rotating inside the bearing inner.

All I've got to to do now is sort out the four APE H/D studs that unscrewed from the upper case (nut Loctite beat crankcase Loctite) and I can put it all back together again.

Here's to forward only steps from now on.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#35 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:49 am

ruffle
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#36 PostAuthor: ruffle » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:07 am

TVM. At that price it makes sense to bung a set in and find sommat else to tinker with over the Bank Holiday.

Offhand, do you know if the bearings are the same for the Z1000 they list and the ones I need for my GPz1100A (Unitrak) engine?

Whilst typing and tapping in to your experience.... is it 'normal' for the shaft to spin in the bearing inner? Would you 'Bearing-Fit' or get a new shaft?

ruffle
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#37 PostAuthor: ruffle » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:10 pm

To answer my own bearing question...

A browse through CMSnl's parts diagrams shows that the 1100 Unitrak and Z1000 share all of the same gearbox bearing part numbers.

The Z1 and A4 have different numbers for the cup shaped bush on the input shaft and the big output bearing on the drive shaft but no detail on what the difference is... if any.

So I've ordered a bearing set from Legend Motorcycles and a new output shaft from Cradley Heath on the grounds of it'll hurt big time if it's not right!

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#38 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:44 pm

Sorry just realised it's for the later engine :oops:
The output bearing is bigger that the earlier 900/1000 and so is the shaft so the one in the kit won't do.

The bearing inner shouldn't spin on the shaft as it all tightens against the shoulder on the shaft when the sprocket nut is tightened.

ruffle
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#39 PostAuthor: ruffle » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:08 pm

Oh Poo. Mea Culpa :| I should have checked harder; must have clicked on the J.

Doing some more digging it's a 92045-1024 for the Z1000J-R and GPz1100. The 900's and Z1000A-D are a 92045-021.

I'll ring Legend in the morning and see if they have a later style bearing.

If not, anyone know where I could get one? APE list some bearings but I think they're drive not output shaft ones. Seems hard to believe that one can't get new output shaft bearings for any of the later models :shock:

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#40 PostAuthor: Al » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:54 pm

I bought a couple from Ray Debben a couple of years ago.
In and out with snap ring groove where necessary.
He had them then, dont know about now.

AL
1981 J1

ruffle
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#41 PostAuthor: ruffle » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:58 am

Ta Zorded you were on the money with Debben. One bearing ordered.

ruffle
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#42 PostAuthor: ruffle » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:53 pm

Well my new output shaft turned up and as a matter of curiosity I compared the two.

The old one (with signs of the shaft fretting in the bearing) is some 0.015 mm thinner than the new 'un. That'll explain why the old bearing could slide on and off by hand and the new shaft/bearing combo looks like it's a proper "wack it with a #1 fettling tool" fit :)

My theory is that the spacer got 'galled' on the shaft, wasn't driven fully home (which allowed the shaft to fret in the bearing) and explains why it wouldn't come off.

Hopefully the new circlips should turn up tomorrow so I can re-assemble the bottom end and get back to where I was a week ago :roll:

HowieD
100Club
100Club

#43 PostAuthor: HowieD » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:53 am

ruffle wrote:Steve & Lester Harris made just that point to me today. They said they're seeing a new wave of Harris owners who are putting the bikes back to 'standard' instead of turning them into street fighters.

Don't get me wrong; I deeply admire some of the specials (Piggies, and the Manx style one that Padders had spring to mind) and my next project will be more along those lines but this one is hopefully going to answer a much younger person's desire to ave'an'arris ever since I saw Ogri cuddling a Magnum 1 on the cover of Bike magazine.

ME TOO!

From this:

To this:

37 Years
CD185, Maggot, Z1-R, Horace, Monster 620ie

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: YAH (Yet Another Harris)

#44 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:01 am

How's this project going, must be an update now :D
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

ruffle
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: YAH (Yet Another Harris)

#45 PostAuthor: ruffle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Oh! Motorcycles! That's what this is all about :)

Ummmm..... yes...

I dropped of the frame and bits to Harris in mid-feb 2016.... and collected them a couple of weeks back. To be fair to Harris they did tell me they'd finished just before Christmas so it 'only' took 9 months.

My recent free time has been spent on all this forum migration malarky but as soon as that's all done I'll be back on it. Plan is to have it back in service this summer.... well that's 'The Plan' - no doubt Real Life(TM) will alter it.
Attachments
20170308_121419.jpg
20170308_121351.jpg

Return to “Projects”