Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000J - the story continues....

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#46 PostAuthor: Coose » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:53 pm

I managed to sneak out today for the first proper post-Winter shakedown. I'm pleased to say that most of the mods faired beautifully, and nothing (other than drips of oil) fell off! :D
I'm still chasing a few annoying leaks such as the usual cam cover even though I lifted it off the other week to reseal it, but also the oil cooler/switch take-off that's now on its fourth set of (different) viton o-rings! The faces look to be ok, so I might have to source some that are larger than the usual 4mm, though the current o-rings do sit proud of the undercuts....

Anyway, the wheels have made a massive difference, where the turn-in is (comparatively) lightning fast and I've wound off four clicks of rear rebound and it feels splendid! The brakes at both ends are much better (larger discs both ends and a cast iron rear), though I have also rebuilt the front CB1100R master cylinder.
The rearsets are great (thanks Lee! :) ), particularly after spending time lapping the faces of the lever pivot bearing bushes to take out the slop. I've also fitted a sidestand from a ZX636 to help clear the gear lever, though I've had to fit a couple of spacers to also assist but it all feels great!

Two other cheeky mods are a bargain Venhill 80 degree throttle (seriously, do consider one of these!) and a slightly modified baffle. I managed to pick up a chrome Kerker tailpipe that's identical to mine from DK for peanuts (yes, really!) which came with a good full-length baffle. I hacked the small inner tube out of it and dropped it in my pipe without any packing. It isn't deafening but does sound more fruity and crackles beautifully on the over-run. It's also carburating better than it ever did, which is surprising as I brimmed the tank from empty late in Autumn with super-unleaded in a hope to keep the rust demons at bay, so as I doubt that my motor has the compression to benefit from super-unleaded and the fact it's old you'd think it would be worse! Maybe it's the cold northern air.... :wink:

Other than leaks, knocks and paint it's almost there, except for the bloody tacho. This is the third J tacho I've tried: -
1 - behaved like a windscreen wiper above 5k. Eventually the needle snapped in two whilst in Germany last year...
2 - the same as above but the needle is in one piece. So far....
3 - works when it feels like it, and still responds as above.

I'm on the cusp of biting the bullet and buying a Scitsu....

Image[/url]

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#47 PostAuthor: Pigford » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:56 pm

looking good - glad it's all working out... to plan :twisted:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#48 PostAuthor: Al » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:47 pm

Very nice, creeping up on youre ideal. The oil cooler take off on mine used to weep constantly. Tried various things and eventually put two copper washers under the heads of the bolts that hold it to the cases and it stopped. Didnt know where it was from until then.
Tacho on mine was doing the fandango as we discussed but only until i found the intermittent nature of the broken Dyna wire feeding the coil that the tacho takes its pulse reading from (left on mine). Dont suppose you have something similar going on with wires or connector plugs?
That wire must have been fractured for more than a year and caused all sorts of spasmodic effects including a retirement at Snetterton!

PM sent regarding sidestand.

AL
1981 J1

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#49 PostAuthor: Coose » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:18 pm

Cheers chaps, it's getting there! :)

Al, when I was in the shower earlier I did wonder exactly that. There's no misfire or anything and the tacho takes its 12vdc feed from the same point as the clocks backlighting, where there isn't a problem. But, it doesn't mean to say that there's not a problem with the pulse wire from the coil to the tacho - it's 36 years old after all!
Though, I do think that this tacho has an internal problem as it only works when it wants to...

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#50 PostAuthor: Al » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:21 pm

If there's no missfire then it could still be as you say from the coil to the tacho. I was in the kitchen when i had this epiphany. :D :D :D
AL
1981 J1

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#51 PostAuthor: Coose » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Al wrote:If there's no missfire then it could still be as you say from the coil to the tacho. I was in the kitchen when i had this epiphany. :D :D :D
AL

Did I maybe give too much information? :wink:

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#52 PostAuthor: Al » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:31 pm

Just been to the little boys room and what i thought was; set the tick over to three large and stress test the wiring and plugs on route to the tacho.
:shock: :D
AL
1981 J1

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Z1000J - the story continues....

#53 PostAuthor: Coose » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:10 pm

So, tacho fixed by fitting another from the stock, oil cooler take-off leaks cured with different Viton o-rings, cold starting fixed by replacing the starter gear (good second-hand), bearing and shims (new), and tonight it went for a damn good thrashing! It really does seem to like super-unleaded... :twisted:

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#54 PostAuthor: Coose » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:09 pm

It's been a loooooonnnnng time since the last update due to work, the building of a YPVS, then no work. But, the "no work" meant that I could finally pull the old Zed apart to carry out a rebuild.

The motor is getting a top-end refresh and a set of GPZ1100B2 cams to complement the slightly flowed head and 1mm OS pistons, where the 29mm Smoothbores are definitely staying.

Everything that could be powder-coated has been, and today I picked the bolts up from the platers so the build could commence. I'm now at a point where I don't want to fasten anything else to the frame as it will make refitting the motor even more difficult, so I'm now tapping my fingers waiting for the top-end to come back from being bead blasted... :)

DSC_9368.JPG

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#55 PostAuthor: Coose » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:42 pm

It's rather annoying that all of my previous photos have disappeared because of stupid Photobucket, but I'll try to update them at some point.

Anyway, what better way to shake off a hangover than by wrestling a motor into a frame? But, that's the donkey work out of the way now, so I just have the enjoyable bit of bolting shiny polished/painted/powder-coated bits together with freshly replated bolts. :)

Good progress was made today!

DSC_9369.JPG

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#56 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:45 am

Looking Tidy Coose!

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#57 PostAuthor: Coose » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks Lee! The rebuild is well overdue, but now it's mechanically how I want it (and work was quiet) now is the time! :)

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#58 PostAuthor: Coose » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:04 pm

Work was cancelled today so I managed a little more progress. All being well the block and head will reappear later this week... :)
We have lights that work and everything!

DSC_9395.JPG

DSC_9398.JPG
Attachments
DSC_9397.JPG

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#59 PostAuthor: Coose » Sat May 19, 2018 9:18 pm

The block and head didn't arrive until last weekend, so it has been a slog this week but we have life! :D

https://youtu.be/mpJYSwBQ43g

It goes nicely quiet once it warms up, and there looks to be plenty of oil under the cam cover where there should be.

There's a few little jobs left to do, but all being well it'll get an MOT on Monday.

I'd like to thank everyone who has provided either valuable advice or parts, you know who you are and one day you'll get beer!

chrisNI
Site Admin

#60 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Sun May 20, 2018 12:10 am

:D :D

Return to “Projects”