Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000J - the story continues....

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#16 PostAuthor: Coose » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:10 pm

Cheers Al, I'm enjoying the tweaking, I have to say! :)
I was careful with the strap wrench and held it as close to the starter gear as I could to try to protect the magnets. It's still charging so all is well at the moment...

My damper is the thinnest (one star - 6.3mm), and I was going to either go up to the next size or see if a friend from around the corner who is breaking GPz11 Unitrak still has the starter gear and damper from that. He's on his hols until Monday, but if mine is behaving I'll leave it as-is. I should have lapped the flywheel the first time I had it apart...

The home-made quick action throttle is reet grand though! :wink:

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: Al » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:41 pm

Replaced my rotor in March this year and half heartedly lapped it onto the crank. No prizes what happened next.
It fell off on the first trackday in April.

AL
1981 J1

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#18 PostAuthor: Coose » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:12 pm

Ha ha, I fear it may be the achilles heel of the Zed, perchance? :wink:

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#19 PostAuthor: Al » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:29 pm

Lucky for me i whipped out my big dirty tool and tightened it up. Got a couple of admiring glances, some comments and a sideways look from miss lucky thirteen who seized her front calipers and was back in the pits trying to find someone who felt sorry for her enough to fix her bike.

AL
1981 J1

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#20 PostAuthor: Coose » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:42 pm

I assume, like me, you've been drinking? :wink:

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#21 PostAuthor: Al » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:03 pm

Never leave home without it.

AL
1981 J1

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#22 PostAuthor: Coose » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:36 am

Ah yes, I need to knock up something similar...

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#23 PostAuthor: Coose » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:51 pm

So, the starter clutch still isn't right, but so long as I juggle the throttle (and choke when it's cold) the old bus starts first prod. I need a two star damper really (or a new one star?), but I'll worry about that either when I pull the motor apart (which I will do at some point, just to re-ring it, chuck some valve stem seals, a cam chain and cam bearings at it and anything else it needs...) or if it starts playing up again.

But, in the meantime my ELR seat is back from Saddlecraft, and I've chucked a set of Dyna coils and Taylor Leads and new chain and sprockets at it.

By 'eck, it makes me grin! :D

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#24 PostAuthor: Coose » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:49 pm

So Winter has let me make a bit of progress. With a 2-star starter damper it starts much better, though does still occasionally skip so I'm think that I maybe should have installed a new bearing on the starter gear at the same time. I'll do that when I rebuild the motor (hopefully not before next Winter!).

New clocks within keeping of Eddie's are fitted and working (the Headlight lamp in the tacho is now Neutral, Turn is Oil Pressure), new minimal switchgear, the frightening wiring has been sorted, new chimberley (awaiting delivery of the correct period Kerker badge from a nice man in Germany), NOS K&N filters, new chain guard and a few other bits and bobs.

Next Winter will involve a full engine rebuild (so I'll finally see what lurks within), the frame powder coated and a respray with the correct blue stripes.

Good ord bus! :)

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#25 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:01 pm

Smart :twisted:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#26 PostAuthor: Coose » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:41 pm

Minor progress. A nice man in Germany sent me a package, which arrived this week. Last night I got home from working away and just couldn't help myself. It's nothing much, but is actually a large part of the jigsaw! :D

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#27 PostAuthor: Coose » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:56 pm

I haven’t had an update for some time, but since there seems to be an influx of Js at the moment I thought it'd be rude not to!

Having spent the summer wringing its neck (including a trip to the International Indian Rally in Germany) it's time for a few more tweaks. So, a set of CB1300 shocks were acquired, but I suppose the biggest change is this weekend's start of throwing a set of 18“ Dymags in there. I wanted something lighter and a little wider than the Z1300/GPz11 wheels, where although I wanted to keep the '81 Lawson look I couldn't justify the cost of a set of Morris wheels, and couldn't find a set second-hand. Once fitted, the wheels will mysteriously turn satin black... :wink:

The two rear calipers aren't staying - the standard one will be going soon, to be replaced with the underslung caliper.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#28 PostAuthor: Al » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:16 pm

Lots of nice bits going on there, i especially like the wheels............ :oops:

Whats going on with the side stand? That looks like a Unitrak one. Shouldnt it have the three spring affair? I'm just in the process of doing a Frankenstein version of both on mine!

AL
1981 J1

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#29 PostAuthor: Coose » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:23 pm

zorded wrote:Lots of nice bits going on there, i especially like the wheels............ :oops:

Whats going on with the side stand? That looks like a Unitrak one. Shouldnt it have the three spring affair? I'm just in the process of doing a Frankenstein version of both on mine!

AL

Cheers Al! :)

Looking on CMSNL the sidestand looks to be correct for an '81 US model, so I don't know any different!

http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-kz1000j1-1981-usa-canada_model15402/partslist/62023.html#results

Although they look great the wheels may not yet stay. I'm a little concerned about using old magnesium wheels on the road, especially when the bike quite often has my 8-year-old son or a massive pile of luggage on the back, though I'm still undecided. Unless, someone wants to make me an offer...? :wink:

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#30 PostAuthor: Al » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:26 am

Looking on CMSNL the sidestand looks to be correct for an '81 US model, so I don't know any different!

Yes that makes sense. I will be cutting welding and straightening mine in an attempt to stop it dragging on the floor.

AL
1981 J1

Return to “Projects”