Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Stan's z1000st project

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

Stan's z1000st project

#1 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Sun May 10, 2015 6:58 pm

Sorry for not posting much! ,work and DIY projects have ruled my life the last 2 months! only been fishing once its been that bad!..My st needed an overhaul and at last I have the cash to get started,the head was removed and went to a good friend for new valve seals and the cam cap threads sorting out,rear wheel has been powder coated as has the swingarm,the frame really needs doin but tbh if I had it done I dont think id have the time to get it on the road this year!..so its been touched up for now,the seat is being recovered by me best mate and a mate of his is re-doin the side panels..im currently removing the old paint from the barrels and head ,not a nice job..and hope to start putting the top end back on soon,then the front wheel is comming off to get powder coated too,really hoping to get it rideable for me birthday in two weeks time!!...will try to post a pic tomorrow...cheers Stan

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun May 10, 2015 7:00 pm

2 x weeks time :shock: No pressure then :lol:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Sun May 10, 2015 7:21 pm

Pigford wrote:2 x weeks time :shock: No pressure then :lol:

Lol..well am gona try me best! very frustrating not having a bike on the road :(

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

z1000st pics so far

#4 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Mon May 11, 2015 1:42 pm

Image[/img]

Image[/img]
As well as powder coating arm and rear wheel ive had a new tyre the existing one was a lower profile and I didnt think it suited the bike,have picked up some decent pegs off ebay with a pair of re-chromed shrouds and other bits all for £35!,am currently stripping old paint off the head and barrels and about to remove the front wheel to get it powder coated asap!.

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Mon May 11, 2015 7:05 pm

Making progress then. Keep at it :D
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Vendetta761
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: Vendetta761 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:25 pm

Great to see another ST in such fine fettle , keep at it !
Z1000 ST x 3 ( now sold , 0 at mo :sad ) , Moto Guzzi G5 special ,V11 special, Ducati Scrambler.

jphaynes669
ZedHead
ZedHead

#7 PostAuthor: jphaynes669 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:46 pm

Fair play to ya, looking good!
Jeff.H

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Tue May 12, 2015 9:48 pm

cheers guys :D ,managed some more time on it today,new shrouds fitted and front wheel stripped ready to get blasted and coated..sadly its back to work tomorrow :( ..shame its been lovely tinkering away the last few days! certainly got the bug again!!

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

parts soda blasted!

#9 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Sat May 16, 2015 9:37 pm

Found a guy locally in Poole doing soda blasting etc,so dropped off head n barrels plus a few other bits ,ie front wheel,pegs and headlamp shell for blasting,meant a trip down first thing so no lie in! , but worth it as they were done for collection this afternoon.never had it done before so dont know if his prices are competitive but the first turn round is a bonus,would post some pics but Ive trashed my camera fishing Thurs eve when a wave soaked all me gear :( ,should be sorted by next weekend so I wil post pics plus should have the powder coated bits back and I can get the front end back together :D

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: parts soda blasted!

#10 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Wed May 20, 2015 7:06 pm

Desperate Stan wrote:Found a guy locally in Poole doing soda blasting etc,so dropped off head n barrels plus a few other bits ,ie front wheel,pegs and headlamp shell for blasting,meant a trip down first thing so no lie in! , but worth it as they were done for collection this afternoon.never had it done before so dont know if his prices are competitive but the first turn round is a bonus,would post some pics but Ive trashed my camera fishing Thurs eve when a wave soaked all me gear :( ,should be sorted by next weekend so I wil post pics plus should have the powder coated bits back and I can get the front end back together :D

Make sure you thoroughly clean out the head before reassembly. :wink:
If you need any parts or advice, you could pop in and see Ray or Steve Debben at Debben Performance in Ringwood. :wink:
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

#11 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Wed May 20, 2015 10:28 pm

yes im yet to do this the guy said it you can use water?? but was goin to get advice first as didint entirely trust this!.lol..may well be visiting debbens at the weekend am thinking of renewing the rings or even getting a rebore new pistons etc .its goin to put things back but it looks like mine are on there last legs :( ..cheers

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#12 PostAuthor: Pigford » Thu May 21, 2015 6:21 am

Desperate Stan wrote:yes im yet to do this the guy said it you can use water?? but was goin to get advice first as didint entirely trust this!.lol..may well be visiting debbens at the weekend am thinking of renewing the rings or even getting a rebore new pistons etc .its goin to put things back but it looks like mine are on there last legs :( ..cheers

Call 'em first, not always open "regular" hours :lol:

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

z1000st some work done more work needed!

#13 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Mon May 25, 2015 12:24 pm

Got me front wheel back from the powder coaters,pleased with results and will smarten the front end up a lot,also had headlight shell and footrest hangers done at the same time.A guy I know does it so got a good deal overall. Image[/img]
Also won a tidy tank off ebay at £46 i thought it was worth getting as a spare or to use if Im working on the original,quite like the colour and came with tap etc in good order.[/img]Image
However it looks like im heading for a rebore , spoke to Debben performance and was advised on a 1075cc kit?..like the sound of it but its more pennies and the pots running dry a bit so am rustling up the funds..lol also now reckon as im going this far the bottom end should come out and cases split etc,its all goin to take a lot longer than initially planned but I think it will be worth it in the end :D

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#14 PostAuthor: Pigford » Mon May 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Not a bad idea stripping the bottom end.... but if it was running good before, why bother :|

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#15 PostAuthor: Pigford » Mon May 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Not a bad idea stripping the bottom end.... but if it was running good before, why bother...
unless you're gonna put a new cam chain in (which would be prudent) :|

Return to “Projects”