Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Stan's z1000st project

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Swirl
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: so far this year...

#76 PostAuthor: Swirl » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Mines made of Stainless Steel and polished :D

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: so far this year...

#77 PostAuthor: Coose » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:50 am

Desperate Stan wrote:Re front end tho the bike is non-standard I want to keep a period look so its skinny tyres and dodgy brakes all the way!

Skinny tyres aren't a bad thing, and for not a great deal of money you can do things with the brakes that also keeps it period.... :)

http://z1ownersclub.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35470&start=44

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

Re: Stan's z1000st project

#78 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:15 pm

Cheers for sorting me posts! :D ,tbh for a big shaft drive it handled and braked quite well certainly better than similar bikes Ive owned from that era! a certain GS850 springs to mind! ,have got goodridge hoses which help but could probably do with new pads,hoping with the conversion to chain and subsequent weight loss that hndling will improve further.

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

#79 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:42 pm

Been slowly making progress ,got the rear wheel powder coated and fitted new bearings etc just cleaning up the rear caliper too before fitting it to the bike and setting it up ,decided to get the engine cleaned up by Steve Smethurst, this arrived back 2 days ago ,he was very helpfull and good service too.ImageImageImage..very pleased with the results ,set about changing the output shaft to the new chain drive one ,fairly straight forward tho took me a few attempts to get 4th gear off,however once mastered it came off my old shaft first time!..have fitted new bearings on both output and input shaft and of course a new camchain.Image..am now tackling the whole gear change side of things ,brought a Mk2 inner cover and gear shaft etc ,however im not certain ive been sent the correct one? its identical to my old st one? have posted pictures etc in the help section,basically it wont shift up properly.If anyone can help,id really appreciate it..Thanks

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

#80 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Once again ive only had limited time to devote to the Z ,unable to ascertain if I had the correct gear shifter ,I decided to make the one I had work! ,had it shortened ideally I wanted it 10mm overall but ended up about 7mm once welded ,it seems to work now but ill be keeping an eye on it once the bikes on the road.Image,the pawls are now catching the pins a an angle similar to that before the shifter was moved,next problem was the inner sprocket cover ,looked correct and lined up nicely but it fouled the end of the selector drum ,it transpires that the drum on the ST protudes further out that chain drive models as theres more room! ,had another selector drum baut couldnt use that as the neutral indent was 180 degrees out,Ray at Debbens machined down the middle spacer on my drum to the same as the chain drive model and suggested I swapped the pins ,however this made no difference! turns out the pins on chain drum sit deeper in the shaft as the holes are drilled deeper! ,so Debbens shortened my pins to finnally achieved the desired result,other problems are bolts heads needed modifying as theres less clearance now between levers etc,Satisfied that all should be o.k now ,ive pressed on got cases together and fitted pistons and barrels today and then with help from Stepson fitted motor.Picked up chain and sprockets today and bumped into a fellow forum member who was dropping off his motor by the look ? good to meet you but sorry didn't catch your name!,fitted the rear sprocket and loosly fitted the front as wanted to see how they lined up! tbh I havt checked it with a laser yet but it looks pretty dam good to me!ImageImage
Hoping to get a bit more done tomorrow and got a couple of days off next week to push on! cheers all Stan

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#81 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Looking fan bloody tastic. Well done with the progress.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

#82 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:40 pm

ImageImageImageImage
A few pics of bike to date ,taken this afternoon after a short ride round town ,have had a few teething problems since getting it running a few weeks back ,the gear change jammed once the engine was hot ,transpired the pin on the lever arm was catching on the inside of the sprocket casing ,this was in part due to me having to shorten the arm down to work at all ,resolved the issue by shaving a bit off the inside of the casing and also to be safe I doubled up on the gaskets to give extra clearance ,since then it has been fine,all in all I happy with the final result ,I don't know why I had a bee in my bonnet about converting a shaft to chain ,used to have an xs750 years ago and also thought that would look great as a chain drive bike!,from a financial point of few its probably not worth converting a complete st unless you already have some bits lying around ,its surprising how it adds up if you factor in ,swinging arm ,disc ,rear caliper ,wheel etc etc ,however the actual engine side of things dosn't cost much tho it is hassle as Ive already tried to explain the ST selector drum isnt designed to run behind an inner chain sprocket ,mine only cost so much as I bit the bullet and had the crank checked while the bottom end was apart ( this was then reconditioned etc by Debbens as bearings were on their last legs!),also fitted new bearings on both shafts and did the cam chain so as I say it all adds up!,its now running nicely and rides well ,gear change actually seems smoother than before ,also its a lot easier to push it out of the shed now! cheers all Stan.

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#83 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:11 pm

Unfortunately can't see any pictures. Good to hear you are up and running :D

I think you need to reload the pictures straight from your computer. Just drag and drop.
Photobucket will not let you copy onto another website, unless you pay them for the privilege.

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

#84 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:19 pm

ur kidding ,mm so only I can see them then? :shock:

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

#85 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:27 pm

Attachments
bike latest sunday july 15th2017 004.JPG
bike latest sunday july 15th2017 005.JPG
bike latest sunday july 15th2017 003.JPG

pluto
100Club
100Club

#86 PostAuthor: pluto » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:38 pm

Fantastic result, I like that a lot.

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#87 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:34 am

That is much better. Looks lovely mate. :up :up :up

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#88 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Looking very tidy that! I like it..

ollie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#89 PostAuthor: ollie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:58 pm

oh well done ,that looks great :wink:
zedsrus:"i don't know man ,i just got here myself !!"

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#90 PostAuthor: Pigford » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:21 pm

Great job - well done for sorting out the chain conversion - ace bike :twisted:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Return to “Projects”