Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Stan's z1000st project

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

#16 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Mon May 25, 2015 3:21 pm

well the top end was getting noisy,which is why I started stripping the engine in the first place,cam chain seems to be in service limit..the engine didnt smoke previously or use any oil etc,but the bores have scoring and the rings are on their limit which i hadnt expected,one piston even has the marks where a valve must have hit it in a previous life!..so as far as I know the bottom end is fine but do I check it now im having so much other work done that is the question?? :??

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

1000st quick update and Mad Max on the Spur road?

#17 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:29 am

Havnt posted recently as been working loads ,I ordered a 1075cc Wiseco kit through Debbens which arrived a couple of weeks ago,also had the damaged fins on the barrels repaired and left the head to have the same treatment as there was one large chip out of a corner..The rebore etc should be done,so gona chase it up this week and hopefully I can start putting it back together soon and post some pics etc. :D ..On my way to work yesterday about 4.30pm southbound on the A338 saw a black car parked on the opposite side with some guy knelt down takin pics of it ,As flew past I did a double take as I swear it was Mad Maxs interceptor with the tanks on the back! very cool,if I had more time I would have doubled back to get a better look!
cheers Stan.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#18 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:55 am

Stan,

I drove down the A338 last week (from Amesbury down to Ringwood)... didn't see it :lol:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

#19 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:13 am

Pigford wrote:Stan,

I drove down the A338 last week (from Amesbury down to Ringwood)... didn't see it :lol:

How bizzare :shock..but then it was the Ringwood to Bournemouth stretch ie the spur road.lol.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#20 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Desperate Stan wrote:
Pigford wrote:Stan,

How bizzare :shock..but then it was the Ringwood to Bournemouth stretch ie the spur road.lol.

Ahhh, that explains it :!:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

z1000st making progress and valve timing?

#21 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:03 pm

Well I picked up my head,barrels n new pistons from debbens a couple of weeks ago,fin damage nicely repaired,rebore done and head etc faced off and generally looking good.Decided to clean up the crankcases to remove all old paint etc,bottom end was removed from frame to make it easier but it was still a mare and not a pleasant job,put 3 cans of satin simoniz paint on last weekend when the sun was shinning,quite pleased with results tho finnish slightly more matt than expected..put barrels and head on yesterday ,all torqued down then did valve timing,am pretty sure ive got it but yet to fit tensioner etc,my only concern is the exhaust cam notch is very slightly not parallel to head,tho arrow on sprocket looks almost dead on and 28 pins etc is all good? any advise apperciated..gona tension up in morning then try turning by hand gently..have got this week off so hoping things will progress further! cheers StanImageImage

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#22 PostAuthor: tlc » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:22 pm

My bottom end, painted by Debbens, has improved with heat. It was quite dull at first.
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#23 PostAuthor: mick znone » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:26 pm

looking good but i wish you would keep all the project in one thread, i cant find all the bits Stan :shock:
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

#24 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:33 pm

Ah..no worries I'll post future ones on this thread then..im still new to all this.lolImage
Also had the seat recovered by a good mate,it was fit for the bin really but hes patched up the cracked base and covered it in some decent leather all for some fresh Mackeral!..just gotta treat it before it gets wet!

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#25 PostAuthor: mick znone » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:51 pm

thats the ticket mate, is there a picture of the fin before the repair, cant see any join, nice job.

mackerel, best fish in the sea, used to by 6 for a £1 off the boats here 20 years ago, blumin delicacy here now :x
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

#26 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:58 pm

Heres one of it mended,should of taken one before..lol...Image
Yeah cant beat fresh fish,hoping to get out this week weather permitting! :)

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#27 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:06 pm

exhaust cam is one tooth out it needs to be advance another tooth

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

#28 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks...Thats what I wondered,I will rock it round a tooth first and see how it lines up then.cheers

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#29 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:59 pm

mick z1a wrote:thats the ticket mate, is there a picture of the fin before the repair, cant see any join, nice job.

mackerel, best fish in the sea, used to by 6 for a £1 off the boats here 20 years ago, blumin delicacy here now :x

Yes exhaust deffo one pin out.

Mick, mackerel is actually the best fish on my plate.

Desperate Stan
Regular Poster

#30 PostAuthor: Desperate Stan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:08 pm

cheers for the advice! have adjusted it and all looks well now.just got the battery on charge at the mo then gona have a go at starting her :shock:

Return to “Projects”