Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z from the dead....

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Simonh
Regular Poster

#106 PostAuthor: Simonh » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:31 pm

got all the fuel hoses, and today put on the 4 x overflow pipes and held in place with the original rubber..... i didn't know until i took this picture that the shroud from the top of the rear brake light switch needs a clean.... tut tut :oops: Image
Another fine mess I've got myself into!

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#107 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:07 pm

Simonh wrote:got all the fuel hoses, and today put on the 4 x overflow pipes and held in place with the original rubber..... i didn't know until i took this picture that the shroud from the top of the rear brake light switch needs a clean.... tut tut :oops: Image

A smear of Vaseline should bring them back if they won't clean up Simon. I'm not the biggest fan of the silicon Back-to-black type cleaners on stuff like this.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

ollie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#108 PostAuthor: ollie » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:41 am

fantastic build Simon,well done :wink:
zedsrus:"i don't know man ,i just got here myself !!"

Swirl
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#109 PostAuthor: Swirl » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:53 am

Just had a read through from the beginning, Well done that man, I'm hopefully going to look at a big pile of bits this week, which hopefully will resemble a kh750 when finished, if I can get it to this standard I will be made up

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#110 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:32 am

Swirl wrote: I'm hopefully going to look at a big pile of bits this week, which hopefully will resemble a kh750 when finished

What's a KH750?......
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

ruffle
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#111 PostAuthor: ruffle » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:15 am

A bored out 500 ? :)

Simonh
Regular Poster

#112 PostAuthor: Simonh » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:19 pm

Thanks Swirl, what ever bike it is don't be detered,

most guys on here know what they are doing , all i had was the genuine desire to know how things work and wanted to test my self... after all most things are fixable if you know how ey....and it just so happened to be a Z.
I've learnt a huge amount from this project.... firstly i was VERY lucky that all parts were present... i entered into this on a whim so despite all the money and hours it could have been worse simply from my inexperience when i bought this bike!
It also tested my marrage from the financial side!!

Simonh
Regular Poster

Re: Z from the dead....

#113 PostAuthor: Simonh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:19 pm

sooooo.... exhausts sent to my dads mate to sort the bad repairs, he tried and did a decent job on 1 of them but didn't want to do the rest... with the exhausts being double skinned he said they rot from the inside out so worries him what might be "lurking behind the rest", i must admit i was really disappointed as being such a crucial part of the original bike i thought that was that.
anyway one of my mates is a mechanic for a large company and he mentioned a bloke at his work that was a coded welder and can "do anything" so i took them down last sunday and he is in the process off both welding and braising the bad repairs,,,, spoke to him tonight and he said they will be ok...."everything is fixable",,, I'm so relieved to hear that sort of attitude... i really didn't want to have to put an aftermarket system on it.

Simonh
Regular Poster

#114 PostAuthor: Simonh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:28 pm

one of the things that was bugging me was the Z1000 side panel badges, when it went in for paint Mark tried to remove them without snapping the little plastic lugs on the back... but they snapped...so i really could not bring myself to "glue" them on to fresh paintwork that cost me £500, bit the bullet and got some aftermarket ones from Zpower... they wasn't cheap but was surprised at the quality , they are EXACTY the same... as far as i can see.. here they areImage

Simonh
Regular Poster

#115 PostAuthor: Simonh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:30 pm

on the bike.....such a minor but major detail

Simonh
Regular Poster

#116 PostAuthor: Simonh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:34 pm

just thought id take a pic of under the seat, i see so many for sale that are "immaculate" yet always look scruffy in places like this, i just could do with a couple of decals to make it perfect,Image

G
100Club
100Club

#117 PostAuthor: G » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:18 am

Just read the thread from start to finish and thoroughly enjoyed it.Well done you should be really proud of the work you have done!
At some stage could you put up a list of companies that have done work for you please e.g. Zinc plating,caroming exhaust repairs.
I am aware of Hutchy for paint but don't live too far away from you and may do another resto in the future so other services and recommends are always useful

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#118 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:44 am

Nothing quite like fitting brand new shiny badges to new paintwork. :9

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

Steve Cooke
ZedHead
ZedHead

#119 PostAuthor: Steve Cooke » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:19 pm

Great looking bike, it seems a bit of a shame to repaint such a good original body set couldn't you have got a shitty set to paint and sell the good set? that would have preserved one original set that someone would have been made up to have and you would of made some £'sss to go towards the new paint job.

Simonh
Regular Poster

#120 PostAuthor: Simonh » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:46 pm

hello guys,
thanks for the reply's.
G- thanks, it has been a hard journey, i will go through my receipt folder and post the companies that have done some of the work, and i get where you are coming from steve but up close the paint needed a refresh, and i really wanted all the original parts to be as they were with the bike when it was new in 77... seems sentimental, but that is the path i chose.

at the moment I'm still waiting for the repairs on the exhausts to be done, I've seen pictures and they are coming along nicely, it is taking time but I'm prepared to wait if its done right.

Return to “Projects”