Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z from the dead....

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Simonh
Regular Poster

#91 PostAuthor: Simonh » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:24 pm

thanks gents,

i was reasonably lucky finding the second set of exhausts and they are in good condition apart from about 4 bad repairs (the pair on the left) and you can see at least one of the awfull repairs..... it is now bugging me as the bike is mint , but i can get someone to weld them properly but dread the thought of the cost of getting them chromed!

the other set are rough (set on the right), baffles rotted out of one and holes in both exhausts behind where the mounting brackets bolt on, but i suppose once the bike is sold i can invest in getting them repaired and then sell on if viable.... i nearly chucked them away but saw 2 pairs for sale this last 18 months and price was ridiculous ... hence why I've still got them, !
Another fine mess I've got myself into!

Simonh
Regular Poster

#92 PostAuthor: Simonh » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:34 pm

another job done yesterday, i recovered the seat.... don't know why i haven't done it sooner as I've had the new cover for 1 year!
i dont think I've done a bad for a first time Image

Redbeard
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#93 PostAuthor: Redbeard » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:50 pm

Great job all round, the results are stunning. Well done for sticking at it.
1979 Z1000ST

Simonh
Regular Poster

#94 PostAuthor: Simonh » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:00 pm

usual friday night update,
another job I've been dreading......mostly dreading the cost... the exhausts! could have taken the easy route and bought an aftermarket system...believe me the Harris ones tempted me and looking back £600 now sounds cheep... but stuck to my guns on factory. Previous posts show i was lucky to find some exhausts in better shape than the ones i had from a guy called Neil (if he is still watching this thread), anyway i bought them fully aware of some bad repairs but generally were solid, i have actually found someone who is willing to chrome plate them in Leeds, so they had to be repaired!
sent them off to "papa G" my dads mate, today...had to act quick as the plater said if they are not with me in a weeks time it will join the 4 month waiting list!! magazine feuture pending (a personal deadline) this was not an option... heres the pics
ImageImageImage

Simonh
Regular Poster

#95 PostAuthor: Simonh » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:02 pm

original middle section just needs a spot of weld and the chromeImage

Simonh
Regular Poster

#96 PostAuthor: Simonh » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:05 pm

had to nick the side covers off the other set of exhausts, they need a bit of work which is happening now... then off the the platers

Simonh
Regular Poster

#97 PostAuthor: Simonh » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Simonh
Regular Poster

#98 PostAuthor: Simonh » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:10 pm

managed to salvage the clips (not sure what you call them) that cover the welds on one of the downpipes from each exhaust... these are a discontinued part, but again i wouldn't be happy if it wasn't right

Simonh
Regular Poster

#99 PostAuthor: Simonh » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:16 pm

so i guess I'm going to have about £1500 in the exhausts alone when they are all finished .... its shocking really when you think about it, i was going to restore the other set but no chance now.... they will go with the bike to the new owner.

Simonh
Regular Poster

#100 PostAuthor: Simonh » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:29 pm

one thing i am pretty disappointed with is the quality of the exhaust clamps from Kawasaki, i could have bought some off eBay for a lot cheeper byt the finish is terrible, they actually look shite and I'm now going to have to get a new part chromed.... let me know what you think!!

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#101 PostAuthor: swampy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:12 am

Chrome the clamps you wont be happy otherwise, they will stick out tu you like a saw thumb every time you look at the bike.
I say this from experience of saying 'that'll do' then having to do the job again because I wasn't happy, its the little details that make a good bike great.
Motor biking, motor biking, going down the queens highway like a rasher streaky bacon!

A1John
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#102 PostAuthor: A1John » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:55 am

These were never chromed I have some NOS in zinc plate

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#103 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:58 am

A1John wrote:These were never chromed I have some NOS in zinc plate

What He said....

These clamps were not seen - so why chrome?.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Simonh
Regular Poster

#104 PostAuthor: Simonh » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:18 pm

i hear what you guys are saying but the clamps i removed were chrome (fully understand these may not have been OEM but i really do believe the could have been).... i just think after all the expense on the exhausts it will look utter rubbish.... and i will know that so i have to have them chrome... my old man said if a jobs worth doing .......

Simonh
Regular Poster

#105 PostAuthor: Simonh » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:27 pm

got the new grab rail and seat strap from Z power on saturday.... some of the very few pattern parts on the bike but hey... needs mustImage

Return to “Projects”