Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000J Build

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#46 PostAuthor: tlc » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:26 pm

ZedHead wrote:PS: Chris you know you want them !

True but Mercedes have had my pants down, though it will be nice to be driving my new van.
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

sanderz
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#47 PostAuthor: sanderz » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:56 pm

Not a criticism, but I think the discs would look more aesthetically pleasing on the eye if they were swopped over - so that the slots trail backwards with the wheel rotation.

LeeJackson wrote:

Like this -

As I said not a criticism, more for aesthetics. Crackin' build Lee, stick with it :up
Wots up DOHC

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#48 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:24 am

sanderz wrote:Not a criticism, but I think the discs would look more aesthetically pleasing on the eye if they were swopped over - so that the slots trail backwards with the wheel rotation.

LeeJackson wrote:

Like this -

As I said not a criticism, more for aesthetics. Crackin' build Lee, stick with it :up

Yeah it's a valid point. I currently installed them as per the S1 discs, but maybe will swap them round..

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#49 PostAuthor: Pigford » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:31 am

FWIW - I prefer them as you have them now - more aggressive looking :twisted:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#50 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:01 pm

Made some mock up caliper brackets this week to confirm all ok before machining, look to be good..

Unfortunately at the same time I noticed that I have at least a 1mm run off on the right hand disc.. Damn thing is not straight. So I need to this what to do with that since they were probably the last thing Alan sold at KipKawa before closing the doors. Perhaps can get it skimmed, will see..

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#51 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:03 pm

More excited about this package that got picked up from Debben's today though..

Should be here Friday.. :twisted:

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#52 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:50 pm

LeeJackson wrote:Made some mock up caliper brackets this week to confirm all ok before machining, look to be good..

Unfortunately at the same time I noticed that I have at least a 1mm run off on the right hand disc.. Damn thing is not straight. So I need to this what to do with that since they were probably the last thing Alan sold at KipKawa before closing the doors. Perhaps can get it skimmed, will see..

Looking good.

I think we can get the caliper a bit closer.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6ChU ... lEbEUzRWVZ

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#53 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:03 pm

Yes indeed. A little closer won't hurt. Great job with the drawing Dave![/quote]

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#54 PostAuthor: Al » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:15 pm

Do you know which bit is out of alignment? Disc or carrier?
Got my discs made by ISR in Sweden, maybe they could help.

http://www.isrbrakes.se/products/brakediscs/

Its not a case of the Hubble space telescope is it with a tiny fleck of crap pushing it out of alignment by any chance?

AL
1981 J1

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#55 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:46 pm

zorded wrote:Do you know which bit is out of alignment? Disc or carrier?
Got my discs made by ISR in Sweden, maybe they could help.

http://www.isrbrakes.se/products/brakediscs/

Its not a case of the Hubble space telescope is it with a tiny fleck of crap pushing it out of alignment by any chance?

AL

When I was spinning the wheel yesterday the carrier look straight and the disc not.. It could be that something is pushing it out of line, will take it back off soon and try a closer inspection. If the carrier is ok I think there are a few guys that can make a new disc. I saw somewhere in UK called the Disc Doctor that does customs. Not sure if they are any good or not though? I was actually thinking about calling them to make me a solid read disc and everything off the shelf has stupid waves and crap in it nowadays :)

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#56 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:58 pm

Some exciting goodies arrived today :)

will get the engine in tomorrow and should get things moving quicker now..

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#57 PostAuthor: Al » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:43 am

Massive leap forward there. Great ignition and brilliant carbs, instant horsepower and very reliable starting and running. Whats' in the engine? Did it end up at 1170 HC? It doesnt look like it has provision for an oil cooler but a bit dark to see.

AL
1981 J1

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#58 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:06 am

zorded wrote:Massive leap forward there. Great ignition and brilliant carbs, instant horsepower and very reliable starting and running. Whats' in the engine? Did it end up at 1170 HC? It doesnt look like it has provision for an oil cooler but a bit dark to see.

AL

Yes ended up 1170, Debben dos everything to it, head flowed, big valves, ape cams, welded crank etc etc. small fortune but will be worth it.. I have one of the KipKawa kits for the oil cooler to be fitted.

martinz1000r
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#59 PostAuthor: martinz1000r » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:28 am

will you be needing an oil cooler mounting for the frame? I have a KipKawa one that I had powder coated (original paint finish was awful) coming up for sale soon. Replacing it with one I bought from Tomforde when i was feeling flush.
Z1000R, Moto Martin GPz, z900 A4 Crosby Replica, Harris Magnum 2, Suzuki GSXR 1100 Slabbie, SP1 Hoonda x 2, Katana 1100, Bimota SB6R and Tuatara

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#60 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:43 am

martinz1000r wrote:will you be needing an oil cooler mounting for the frame? I have a KipKawa one that I had powder coated (original paint finish was awful) coming up for sale soon. Replacing it with one I bought from Tomforde when i was feeling flush.

Martin, I have a KipKawa one here. I fancy a tomforde one too though! Very nice stuff

Return to “Projects”