Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1R Exhaust System Chroming

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

Z1R Exhaust System Chroming

#1 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:46 am

Just had a quote for re-chroming my exhaust system downpipes from Central Engineering Design in Folkestone.
I'm looking at £300 +VAT for the two downpipes attached to the collector box and £125 + VAT for each of the single downpipes (£660 for the lot). A fair bit more than I expected and I don't want to fork that much out without being sure what I'm getting for my money! Anybody used the company before or have any recommendations/comments/alternative suggestions?

Cheers
Let The Good Times Roll...........

jonhunt
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#2 PostAuthor: jonhunt » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:17 am

Would have though you could get a good use set for that

Hinckley
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Hinckley » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:34 am

If I remember correct - Castle chroming do exhausts.
www.castlechrome.co.uk

They have a reputation of not being fastest turn around though.

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:42 pm

jonhunt wrote:Would have though you could get a good use set for that

Yep I know but mine's in pretty good nick apart from a bit of surface pitting - I'll have a shop around 👍

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:43 pm

Hinckley wrote:If I remember correct - Castle chroming do exhausts.
www.castlechrome.co.uk

They have a reputation of not being fastest turn around though.

Thanks mate - I'll give 'em a shout for a quote

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:45 pm

Have you thought about getting them professionally polished? If they are in reasonable condition, a good polisher will get them to about 99% of what rechroming will do.

A mate of mine restored an XS650 and the downpipes were in fairly shoddy condition but after polishing they were really nice. Saved him loads of dosh.

Fred
Paid Up Member

Kev1R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: Kev1R » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:30 am

After getting some silly quotes & lack of interest from local places (Nottingham & Birmingham) last year I ended up taking my downpipes and collector box along with some other bits to AGBrigg at Leeds.
The person you speak to owns the business (Sean)
Excellent service very professional and not too pricey

I took the bits up in the car and collected them, but the end result was worth it.

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#8 PostAuthor: paul doran » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:25 pm

pictures please and an idea of price
way too many Zeds

Simonh
Regular Poster

#9 PostAuthor: Simonh » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:16 pm

Sean at Agbrigg chrome in leeds said he would do my Z1000 4:2 exhausts for £200 per side (front to back)!

he has done most chrome work on my bike and he is pretty good... I've noticed a few expansion chambers there too when I've taken stuff in!
Another fine mess I've got myself into!

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:16 pm

Simonh wrote:Sean at Agbrigg chrome in leeds said he would do my Z1000 4:2 exhausts for £200 per side (front to back)!

he has done most chrome work on my bike and he is pretty good... I've noticed a few expansion chambers there too when I've taken stuff in!

Simon....

Be very interested in the outcome if you get them done. I was quoted 3x this amount with no guarantee on the finish or even that the pipes wouldn't just disintegrate as soon as they were dipped.

Please post up some pic's if you get them done.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:22 pm

There's a guy in borough green in kent who mostly does restoration chroming for RR, Bentley and Astons. I went and saw him when i needed some bits done. He had lots of bikebits in there for various finishes. He only does triple chrome plating because thats what all the top end car boys want. He also does various other finishes like zinc etc.
I thought he was going to be expensive but I was pleasently surprised when he wanted £110 to do front mudguard, headlight ears and few small bits. I know he charges £150 per pipe (header and tailpipe = one pipe). I was very pleased with the finish and recommeeded him to mates who have been equally pleased with the result and price.
All in took approx 4 weeks start to finish.
I cant recall his co's name but have his name and tel number if anyone needs him.
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:05 pm

warren3200gt wrote:There's a guy in borough green in kent who mostly does restoration chroming for RR, Bentley and Astons. I went and saw him when i needed some bits done. He had lots of bikebits in there for various finishes. He only does triple chrome plating because thats what all the top end car boys want. He also does various other finishes like zinc etc.
I thought he was going to be expensive but I was pleasently surprised when he wanted £110 to do front mudguard, headlight ears and few small bits. I know he charges £150 per pipe (header and tailpipe = one pipe). I was very pleased with the finish and recommeeded him to mates who have been equally pleased with the result and price.
All in took approx 4 weeks start to finish.
I cant recall his co's name but have his name and tel number if anyone needs him.

I'd be interested in giving him a call - please post or PM me his number - Cheers

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:13 pm

Kev1R wrote:After getting some silly quotes & lack of interest from local places (Nottingham & Birmingham) last year I ended up taking my downpipes and collector box along with some other bits to AGBrigg at Leeds.
The person you speak to owns the business (Sean)
Excellent service very professional and not too pricey

I took the bits up in the car and collected them, but the end result was worth it.

Thanks for the info! I called him today - I'll mail him a few pics and see how it goes

Simonh
Regular Poster

#14 PostAuthor: Simonh » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:50 pm

sorry for late reply Garry, i ended up buying another set of OEM exhausts for my Z, they need a few repairs that will be hidden, rest of the exhausts are 99% so not rushing to chrome them (my other set i will save for another day).

As you know most people won't do them because of the contamination of tanks...BUT (and I'm no expert) a very reputable restorer told me if you braise up both ends of the exhausts (but fill with Fernox?? a radiator fluid?? and obviousley before you have braised both ends) this will both weigh them down in the tanks and stop contamination of said tanks..
AGAIN... i am no expert but this is what i told from a VERY well known Z restorer....makes sense to me
Another fine mess I've got myself into!

Return to “Projects”