Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1100r my tale of woe

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#31 PostAuthor: swampy » Thu May 12, 2016 5:18 pm

Ok the plan so far is get SEP to do the crank as they have some parts and to build the best crank they can with what parts we can get our hands on.

The Head os going to Cambridge services for boring, new guides and valve seat cutting on there serdi machine for the new valves. Just have the wait for the parts to arrive from the states and other suppliers.

Just starting to think about some cams that are a bit hotter than standard good idea or bad idea people.

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#32 PostAuthor: swampy » Sat May 14, 2016 6:20 pm

Did'nt do any thing with the z1100 elr today. I swaped out all the brightwork on the z900a4 that i have had in boxes for months in the shed. Tried to get it fired up but dead batt not holding charge, so yet more expense there!

Stil got the 1260 Kat fired up though, that will be deemed by some as blasphemy :D lol.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#33 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sat May 14, 2016 6:29 pm

swampy wrote:Did'nt do any thing with the z1100 elr today. I swaped out all the brightwork on the z900a4 that i have had in boxes for months in the shed. Tried to get it fired up but dead batt not holding charge, so yet more expense there!

Stil got the 1260 Kat fired up though, that will be deemed by some as blasphemy :D lol.

Nowt wrong with a decent oil-boiler Zooky :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#34 PostAuthor: swampy » Sat May 14, 2016 8:01 pm

Thats exactly why its got a bloody great oil cooler on it Piggy.

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#35 PostAuthor: swampy » Sun May 22, 2016 8:33 am

Found a guy down the road from me who can ultrasonic clean the crankcase insides and refinish the externals. estimate at £140 seeing as I'm blowing somewhere near £5.5 k on the engine I think that is small change for peace of mind that all the blasting media and crop is out of the cases.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#36 PostAuthor: Al » Sun May 22, 2016 9:59 am

Is that i cleenz macheenz? If so i know them pretty well and can recommend. Chris is a biker and they do all our stuff at work. Not had any problems as they are diligent and thorough.

AL
1981 J1

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#37 PostAuthor: swampy » Sun May 22, 2016 2:55 pm

Thats them i met one of the guys. George at kempton park auto jumble, i will try and get down there during the week.

Robw
ZedHead
ZedHead

#38 PostAuthor: Robw » Mon May 23, 2016 3:28 pm

You can fit unitrac cams, which offer a reasonable amount of lift and duration, also you can keep the shim over buckets. Or you can splash out on some APE 410 cams and use shim under bucket, but you will have to do a bit of machining for to ensure the lobes clear the head. I have 410 on my Lawson and it goes quite well and Unitrac on my endurance bike, which I haven't ridden yet. I got my APE cams from Joe Hooper in USA, top bloke and very helpful or try Grumpy 1260 as Chris is also a top bloke.
Z1000R/ZRX, RD 125LC, Zx7r , Endurance racer, gpz1100b1

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#39 PostAuthor: swampy » Tue May 24, 2016 6:25 am

Hi Robw
what machining to the head did you have to do. And is it any unitrac cam a1 oa2 that is a bit more lumpy that fits?

KWACKERZ1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#40 PostAuthor: KWACKERZ1 » Tue May 24, 2016 9:09 am

I have some standard cams that look ok if they will help you, and a mate of mine has some highlift ones available if your interested.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#41 PostAuthor: Pigford » Tue May 24, 2016 10:14 am

swampy wrote:Hi Robw
what machining to the head did you have to do. And is it any unitrac cam a1 oa2 that is a bit more lumpy that fits?

The machining is minimal - just a bit to relieve the area next to the buckets so the cam lobe clears.... its a slight interference fit otherwise :!:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#42 PostAuthor: swampy » Tue May 24, 2016 4:48 pm

Hi kwakerz1
Thanks for the offer how much are we talking for the cams.
Could you give me a price for yours and another for your mates.

KWACKERZ1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#43 PostAuthor: KWACKERZ1 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:22 am

Drop me your email address or email me on mine and i'll send you some pics.

Dont want much for mine, but my mates have just been done by joy cams so i suppose he'll want to get his money back.

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#44 PostAuthor: swampy » Fri May 27, 2016 7:46 pm

Got blown out by a customer today so grabbed the oppurtunity to clean clean and clean some more on engine internals. Im f@#%$ng sick of the site of brushes, scothbrite, parafin, clothes etc. But f^*k it its got to be done and even had an old friend involved.

Crank off to chris appleby tomo as he assures me he has got plenty of parts for em. So im going to run it round m25 anf drop it off too him, and its a damn site nearer to me than SEP.

Just need a solution for the centre bush on the clutch basket back plate. It is .001mm away from being scrap, but the basket is in good nick. But.. i cant get a bush on its own i have to buy the whole basket assembly. Can anyone help with this dilemea?!

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#45 PostAuthor: Al » Sat May 28, 2016 9:05 am

Which part is beyond its, or at its service limit. I guess the bush in the basket?
Have you asked a good engineering firm to look at turning it out and fitting another bushing?
I have not measured mine in ten years but sure its beyond the limit. I looked at the whole assembly and thought it more important to limit clatter by manipulating the large spring steel 'washers' that restrict lateral movement and control oil flow out of the bearing. Thats what i did. Still thrashing sh7t out of it now. :D
AL
1981 J1

Return to “Projects”