Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Magnum 1

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#16 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:11 pm

HowieD wrote:
Pigford wrote:I have now covered the underside of my tank with that sticky "sound/heat proof" stuff recommended by a Z1OC member

Hello - can i have some details as my tank "Booms" as someone once said to me and I reckon that would be the very stuff to sort that out.

H :oops: wie

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-18-x32-Dyn ... 3f272189b3
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

HowieD
100Club
100Club

#17 PostAuthor: HowieD » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:35 pm

thanks very much

H
CD185, Maggot, Z1-R, Horace, Monster 620ie

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#18 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:03 pm

As I've now fitted a "bling" Kereker oil cooler to me project Z1000, the Lockhart unit was free to be put on the Harris.

After a decent blast out on Raphyrama's SW Rally last Saturday, the hot weather did make the bike sweat a bit - so the addition of a cooler isn't a bad thing :!:

Its a Lockhart item which was an official Kawasaki option "back in the day" and is neat and tidy. I did consider tucking it out of the way somewhere, but couldn't really find anywhere suitable under the seat area so kept it simples :|

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#19 PostAuthor: Pigford » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:59 pm

Didn't like the oil cooler under the headstock as the hoses got in the way of the forks and looked a bit too messy :??

Had a think about it ( as I have several times recently) and moved it right out of the way.

Even though it's not directly in the air stream, it doesn't suffer from rising heat off the exhaust headers when in slower traffic :twisted: It's also well protected from flying debris (stones) and is a neat solution.

Did 100 mile round trip to Salisbury today and all is good - the new tyres are also scrubbed in now (Michelin Pilot Power - replaced the old 190 rear with a 180 which clears the chain now!!!

HowieD
100Club
100Club

#20 PostAuthor: HowieD » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:04 pm

Hi
Was looking at siting mine away from the traditional place and that looks different. Did you notice any difference in temperature of the oil in the two positions ?

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#21 PostAuthor: Pigford » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:06 pm

HowieD wrote:Hi
Was looking at siting mine away from the traditional place and that looks different. Did you notice any difference in temperature of the oil in the two positions ?

TBH - not really, but I don't constantly thrash the motor so it's just to give it a bit of added relief to keep it happy :lol:

HowieD
100Club
100Club

#22 PostAuthor: HowieD » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:18 pm

On a sixty mile ride I had 125DegC without a cooler and I think it hadn't stopped going up

With the cooler installed over the exhaust headers and riding out on the roads and not going too mad the max it got to was 99DegC

I did try and find out what a suitable temperature for a Z was but never did find out but a Oil T gauge typically goes to 150.

I like the Enduranc racer in the nose position but Horace is a bit crowded already there with lights and stuff. Anyway that's gonna be work in progress

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#23 PostAuthor: Pigford » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:56 pm

Wosrt is slow/stop-start traffic on a hot day - got to avoid "boiling" the oil.... when the engine looks & smells similar to an old traction engine :lol:

I think + 120 deg C is starting to get a bit too hot - once cooked it's a good idea to change the oil as it'll be furbarred :shock:

Return to “Projects”