Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Magnum 1

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

Magnum 1

#1 PostAuthor: Pigford » Mon May 02, 2016 2:09 pm

After my trip to the ACE the other weekend, I decided it was definitely time to lower the rear sets :??

The trip to the ACE (130 miles) was bloody freezing and about 7/10 for uncomfyness :!:

By the time I returned home it was 9/10 for agony :oops: My right elbow has been suffering ever since.

So this weekend I dug out the bit of 1/2" alloy plate I bought last year for this very purpose. Next I got me hacksaw, drill, file and an assortment of fixings ready.

An hour or so later the plate was drilled and cut ready for fitting. The gear shift position obviously changed but all I had to do was move the linkage around the shaft, a couple of splines.

Now I'll be the first to admit it ain't the prettiest accessory, but once I've given it a proper road test I can tidy it up a bit.

Hopefully they won't be too low, they measure a good 300mm off the ground with the bike level (no rider :lol: ) - thats about 60mm lower!

This mod will mean I'll be able to use the bike a bit more this year, as last time I kept jumping on other bikes as I knew they'd be easier to ride!!!
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Mon May 02, 2016 2:15 pm

After a decent test-ride today, I decided the clip-ons are also not doing my old body any favours so it was time to fit some normal bars. I never have really been into the "racer" style, but I think it suited the Harris.

Anyhow,the ZZR1100 yokes already have some threaded holes which I could use to fit the risers. So after an hoyr the bars were swapped over....

SO it was time for another spin out - and the bike has been transformed. It's so much comfier and a joy to ride :twisted:

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#3 PostAuthor: Pigford » Mon May 02, 2016 2:27 pm

One other niggle had been a rattle/clang over bumps.... it wasn't my dentures and I couldn't find the problem. At the MOT last month my head races were loose and I thought that may have been the problem? But NO it wasn't.

I have now covered the underside of my tank with that sticky "sound/heat proof" stuff recomended by a Z1OC member which helped reduce over all noises and also stopped the sidestand knocking against the frame stop, but it still made a knocking noise.

Well this afternoon I found the culprit.... the front engine mount had worked a bit loose and the engine was knocking against the frame. So I've checked and there was a slight gap (2mm) between the frame and engine which I have now packed with a washer and the chassis is smooth and quiet - exhaust and flatslide sure ain't tho' :lol:

I really need some hi-tensile M10 threaded rod - so I've sent Harris an email as I know they supply mounting kits for around £100.

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: garyd » Mon May 02, 2016 3:18 pm

Starting to look like a proper special. :kewl

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#5 PostAuthor: paul doran » Mon May 02, 2016 3:23 pm

Mark excellent mods You have done there I was looking at a Rickman on Our stand yesterday the Owner had fitted slightly upright bars and they looked fine even with the 3/4 fairing
reminded Me of My Rickman
the back agony was just not worth it
way too many Zeds

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#6 PostAuthor: Pigford » Mon May 02, 2016 5:06 pm

paul doran wrote:Mark excellent mods You have done there I was looking at a Rickman on Our stand yesterday the Owner had fitted slightly upright bars and they looked fine even with the 3/4 fairing
reminded Me of My Rickman
the back agony was just not worth it

Cheers Gary & Paully - the riding position really did put me off (or at least make me think twice) - but now I'm keen to jump on it and use it as much as possible. The bike really has been transformed to a much nicer machine. I might even raise the pegs back up an inch now.... for a bit extra ground clearance :!:

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: mick znone » Mon May 02, 2016 5:09 pm

much better bars Piggy, i never did like drop bars, i like sitting up looking ahead.
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#8 PostAuthor: Pigford » Tue May 03, 2016 5:15 pm

After a nice ride into work this morning, it was clear that the pegs are now too low :oops: .... I decked the pegs out a couple of times and wasn't going mad.

So lunchtime was used to make some little brackets and mount the rearsets nearer to there original position, but not quite as extreme......

a much better arrangement!

Redbeard
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: Redbeard » Tue May 03, 2016 7:08 pm

Looks great, I don't think the higher bars spoil it at all, it still looks the business and a few simple adjustments have made it nicer to ride. I had superbike bars on mine but although they looked better I just didn't find them comfortable so put a regular pair on and it has transformed it.
1979 Z1000ST

ADE
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: ADE » Tue May 03, 2016 7:18 pm

The joys of getting old. looks ok with the bars :D
Ade

KWACKERZ1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: KWACKERZ1 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:13 am

Piggy,

You'll have twin headlights on it next!

Just joking looks good.

Re your engine mount Harris replacement kits in stainless are wothwhile and not to expensive.

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Wed May 04, 2016 11:19 am

I think the Harris twin headlights would look good on that, love the back end :D
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#13 PostAuthor: Pigford » Wed May 04, 2016 1:12 pm

KWACKERZ1 wrote:Piggy,

Re your engine mount Harris replacement kits in stainless are wothwhile and not to expensive.

Ordered the 2 x top mount bolts from Harris... only £30 :wink:

PETER KZ1A
100Club
100Club

#14 PostAuthor: PETER KZ1A » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:00 am

Ever evolving , very nice
Proper Ogri shed!

HowieD
100Club
100Club

#15 PostAuthor: HowieD » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:01 pm

Pigford wrote:I have now covered the underside of my tank with that sticky "sound/heat proof" stuff recommended by a Z1OC member

Hello - can i have some details as my tank "Booms" as someone once said to me and I reckon that would be the very stuff to sort that out.

H :oops: wie
CD185, Maggot, Z1-R, Horace, Monster 620ie

Return to “Projects”