Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

KZ1000 A4 MKII - Recomission

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

JamesH_Sussex
100Club
100Club

KZ1000 A4 MKII - Recomission

#1 PostAuthor: JamesH_Sussex » Tue May 03, 2016 2:39 pm

Alright fellas. After advertising the bike for sale I had a pang of 'wtf' are you doing, so I've decided to recommission the bike for myself and run her for the summer.

The bike's a 1980 KZ1000 A4 found in the states a couple of years ago. Is a one owner bike.

I'm planning to re-paint the bike in the std Ebony finish. Have reached out to Flying Tiger Paints for a quote. All of the paintwork is off the bike ready to go. Anyone used Flying Tiger?

I've managed to source an original dealer take-off seat in the US - correct for the A4 model. Fingers crossed it looks as good in the flesh as the photos. We shall see - always a gamble I find.

I've been through and checked all of the electrics and everything is in good working order - good spark on all 4 cylinders as well.

The bike came to me with the VM28SS carbs in a box - I started stripping them yesterday evening & they are pretty bad. Very bad in fact.
Completely filthy & full of varnish / sludge. In particular the pilot jet in carb #4 has snapped off in the body. Not the threaded part - the top 2-3mm of the perforated end. May come out with a small easy-out but not convinced. Seems very much 'in there'. I may have to resort to drilling carefully.

Alternatively I'm thinking about treating her to a set of CR29's - anyone have any experience of running these on a stock KZ1000? Given the std pipes are long gone and she's running a Kerker CR's may be a bettr option if I can't resurrect the VM28SS's?

I'm also thinking about changing the Kerker pipe for a Moriwaki / Nitro pipe from Japan. Will wait to get he bike running & dialed in again before I change the pipe. Any recommendations welcome.

Parts I'll need to source:

Chrome parts (chrome beyond saving):
- Handlebars, Kick start, rear brake pedal, gearchange lever.

Complete headlight assembly

Chrome front mud guard

opinions / feedback / advice very welcome.

I'll do my best to keep the thread updated as I progress..

Cheers,

James.

Photos pre-recommission:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

FER
Auld Heedyun

#2 PostAuthor: FER » Tue May 03, 2016 4:22 pm

Let me know if you want to sell the seat fitted to the bike .
fer

Redbeard
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: Redbeard » Tue May 03, 2016 6:41 pm

Good decision, the red mk2 is a real stunner. I look forward to seeing this progress.
1979 Z1000ST

MikeP
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: MikeP » Tue May 03, 2016 6:50 pm

First dibs if you're selling the Kerker :rock
Kwaki lover - Z1000R2, ZX9R F1P, GPz1100B1, 350 S2 and a brace of 500 H1's. For fun I've got a couple of LC's too yahooooo

JamesH_Sussex
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: JamesH_Sussex » Tue May 03, 2016 7:17 pm

Thanks for the messages re. kerker and seat. If I do sell I'll let you know.

James

Return to “Projects”