Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

HowieD's 'arris

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#91 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:12 pm

HowieD wrote:
Is Vic There wrote:Take is you're a fellow sootie :D

I am indeed ! and still do sootying, though on Industrial Turbines these days.

Stopped sootying 18 years ago, still miss it at times, especially 1st line and the mischief we use to get up to!

Theirs a fairy knocking about on here as well! :shock:
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

HowieD
100Club
100Club

ready for an MOT !!!

#92 PostAuthor: HowieD » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:26 pm

MOT Saturday at 10:30 :shock:

£191 for the insurance.

Anyone know what i have to do the get the Road Tax ? It's on a SORN at the moment so I'm guessing once Horace has a valid MOT i just do some of that www stuff on the DVLA web site, armed with my CC number ??

CD185, Maggot, Z1-R, Horace, Monster 620ie

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#93 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:40 pm

Yep! just tax as normal once you have the MOT cert.

HowieD
100Club
100Club

Back on the Road

#94 PostAuthor: HowieD » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:35 pm

So today Horace had the first proper run out to the MOT station and passed with flying colours and some nice comments from the Test Guys :oops:

Then into Lincoln and have it given the once over by Adam at V-Duo motorcycles, always a good idea to have someone else cast their professional eye over for safety.

Found one of the Cam Shaft End covers is leaking a bit and a few other things. The worst being the need for new Anti-Rattle Springs for the front calipers and the tank breather isn't working very well.

Not as bad as I was expecting really.

in the shop:

Back home again:

ADE
100Club
100Club

#95 PostAuthor: ADE » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:44 am

It is nice to get them back on the road nice one
Ade

HowieD
100Club
100Club

First longish ride out

#96 PostAuthor: HowieD » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:15 pm

Off I went from Lincoln to just south of Kings Lynn for a beer, as you do.

First thing I noticed was the oil temp steadily rose to 124 DegC climbing steadily over an hour - is that a normal sort of temperature ? never had a gauge or owt on Horace before, happened in both directions. Was thinking of fitting an oil cooler but didn't know if one was needed until now.

Then after a suitable sobering up period (after the aforementioned beers) and a pause to avoid the rain - its back home again. Five miles from home I get a battery Voltage warning - I have the MotoScope set up for all sorts of warnings - dropping quickly to 11 then 10volts !! just made it home phew!

Did a quick bit of fault diagnosis today and the brand new Regulator / Rectifier has failed !!! So looks like a new one of those is needed.
Perhaps I need to fit it somewhere else though:

Seems a bit odd to just fail like that though. Was parked up at B&C Express Sprockets for 20 mins, cant see that being an issue.

Oh well the joys of owning a Special eh ??

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#97 PostAuthor: Pigford » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:43 am

Best keeping REG/REC in cool air flow.... and outta wet if poss. Some also need a good earth to the body of the R/R unit?

Bikes looking good tho' :twisted:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

HowieD
100Club
100Club

#98 PostAuthor: HowieD » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:53 am

aye - looks like its too near the engine so back under the seat it is then.

Was properly earthed though.

H

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#99 PostAuthor: Pigford » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:28 pm

HowieD wrote:aye - looks like its too near the engine so back under the seat it is then.

Was properly earthed though.

H

Dunno - think it'll get more air where it is... rather than under the seat :?:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

KWACKERZ1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#100 PostAuthor: KWACKERZ1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:22 am

More likely to just be a faulty unit, as long as its earthed properly and your connectors are waterproofed i dont see why the position would make a difference.

Unless it gets a lot of vibration.!

HowieD
100Club
100Club

#101 PostAuthor: HowieD » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:13 am

Its mounted on anti-vibration mounts so I dont think it is a problem.

HowieD
100Club
100Club

An update

#102 PostAuthor: HowieD » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Greetings,
after the ride out for 150 miles and letting the dust settle a bit (OK - I had to go back to work for the month).
there were various problems found:

The Reg/Rect blew when i got nearly home - I Bought a new Regulator / Rectifier RR55 from Electrexworld which will go under the seat this time in a more traditional manner. This will allow the Gear change linkage to go the other way up as it's fowling the frame on down changes. Also I'll be binning the flimsy Aloominum Linkage rod I bought from Probolt and replacing it with a steel one from a ZX-6R also the shaft to the gearbox will have a bush fitted where it goes through the clutch plate as its moving fore & aft during the gear changes.

The switches - simple push buttons from MotoGaget - I just found them to be too fiddly to fit and having solid handlebars a real mess to cut slots for the wires to go through. I reckon they'll suffer in the wet too as there's no seals on the housing halves. I had a chin wag with a Endurance racing mate and that gang all use Bike Sport Developments switches so rang them up and requested a set made up as they make them to order - 5 push buttons for the Left- Lights, Horn, Paging for the Motoscope Pro and two indicator buttons to match the m-Unit set up. Right Hand - Latching Kill Switch & push button for the Starter. They are great quality and IP67 rated so should last out any weather - mind you they ain't cheap !

So all to do is a massive list ! Oil Cooler to fit, a peg thing welded on the side stand so my boot has some purchase on it, Mk8 wiring loom and other stuff that escapes my memory for now !!

So that's it for another months exciting instalment as I'm off back to work for a month TTFN

Howie

HowieD
100Club
100Club

#103 PostAuthor: HowieD » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:40 pm

So a few more pictures and updates of progress with the aftermath of the first test flight.

Oil Cooler is fitted to the traditional position but with the hoses over the top to tidy them out of the way:

With the oil coming and going from an Earls adaptor which still allows the oil pressure switch to fit:

and the Temperature sender fitted to the end of the gallery:

One thing I have always struggled with is the inner Carb securing clamps so hopefully this will solve that problem by only needing to tighten on screw for each side's pair:

Another problem was the Paddock Stand I have is always getting hooked on the chain or the rear brake hose. I thought that sorting out Bobbins would need the Swinging arm to be removed, drilled / welded and repainted but Rob came up with this solution:

then some extra Fairing Brackets as the end of it was flapping about a bit:

and despite best efforts the wiring still looks like a ball of coloured string !!

HowieD
100Club
100Club

final modifications.

#104 PostAuthor: HowieD » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:52 pm

So - home again after further fettling of the troubles of the first test flight:

Taller Screen:

Shaft support for the Gear change:

Side stand:

Regulator / Rectifier moved, see how long it lasts this time:

HowieD
100Club
100Club

Took Horace for a test flight

#105 PostAuthor: HowieD » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:35 am

Pit stop in Grimsby.