Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z650/Z1000 project

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

MikeSB6
Regular Poster

Z650/Z1000 project

#1 PostAuthor: MikeSB6 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:37 pm

Hello Folks,

being a bit old and the old legs getting a bit wobbly, I was wondering how practical it would be to fit my spare Z1000 engine in a Z650 chassis to make a bike which is easier to handle than the standard Z1000. Has anyone done this and could give some advice?

Cheers, MikeJ
Too much is never enough

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:42 pm

Been done many times - good combo.... needs a few bits sorted on frame to take different mounts, but not major hacking.
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

MikeSB6
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: MikeSB6 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:24 am

Hello Pigford,

thanks for the tip- by the way, where did you get that film clip-it looks like early cine film?

Cheers, MikeJ
Too much is never enough

MikeSB6
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: MikeSB6 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Hello, with an early Z1000 engine and Z650 frame, it looks as if the sump section of the engine will hit the left hand frame rail, or the engine has to be moved about 1/2" to the right, which may cause a problem fitting the exhaust and chain alignment.

I've only tried to fit a set of empty cases at the moment but was wondering if anyone has come across this before?

Cheers, MikeJ
Too much is never enough

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:40 pm

Have a read through this...........

http://z1ownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#6 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:56 pm

MikeSB6 wrote:Hello, with an early Z1000 engine and Z650 frame, it looks as if the sump section of the engine will hit the left hand frame rail, or the engine has to be moved about 1/2" to the right, which may cause a problem fitting the exhaust and chain alignment.

I've only tried to fit a set of empty cases at the moment but was wondering if anyone has come across this before?

Cheers, MikeJ

It was my understanding that the GPZ style engine will fit, but not the earlier engine because of the length of the casings to fit the kickstart behind the clutch.

Look at Julian's bike below, which is gorgeous in the flesh and imagine the kickstart casting behind that clutch cover.
Cheers,

Mark.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:15 pm

needaz1100r wrote:It was my understanding that the GPZ style engine will fit, but not the earlier engine because of the length of the casings to fit the kickstart behind the clutch.

Kickstart motor will fit, been done loads of times.
Did one myself years ago.
Here's a pic of one.

And whilst not wanting to be picky shouldn't this thread be in "Bike Help" as there is no actual project .

MikeSB6
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: MikeSB6 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:07 pm

Hello Folks,

thanks for all the info. I'll check it out but so far indiscriminate use of an angle grinder has allowed the engine to fit in quite well- now I'll have to try to fit the swinging arm!

Cheers, MikeJ

P.S.I do have most of the parts for the bike- the problem is getting them to fit together. Still, winter is acoming in so there'll be plenty of time.....
Too much is never enough

MikeSB6
Regular Poster

#9 PostAuthor: MikeSB6 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:36 pm

It's been said that the engine has to removed to allow access to the valves for clearance adjustment on a project like this, but is it possible to trim the centre lower mount lugs on the crankcases to allow the engine to drop in the frame to remove the cam cover? Or is it all just scuttlebut?

Cheers, MikeJ

Some pretty hot projects on this site, especially liked the alloy tank made from a road sign.
Too much is never enough

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#10 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:22 pm

zed1015 wrote:
needaz1100r wrote:It was my understanding that the GPZ style engine will fit, but not the earlier engine because of the length of the casings to fit the kickstart behind the clutch.

Kickstart motor will fit, been done loads of times.
Did one myself years ago.
Here's a pic of one.

Whale Oil Beef Hooked!!
Cheers,

Mark.

Return to “Projects”