Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

J - Refresh

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

VinnyE
100Club
100Club

#16 PostAuthor: VinnyE » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:51 pm

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: tlc » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:44 pm

That's the thing.
On the discs I used stainless oven cleaner.
On the wheels I started with acidic wheel cleaner but then used traffic film remover followed by ordinary car shampoo.
The rims had the usual autosol followed by belgom Alu.

The brush comes with hard and soft heads and runs on AA batteries. It's brilliant.
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

kas750
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#18 PostAuthor: kas750 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:01 pm

Lovely bikes the J, Chris..I had the chance to buy one earlier this year and I regret letting it pass by.

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: J - Refresh

#19 PostAuthor: tlc » Sun May 17, 2020 4:48 pm

This is embarrassing but as I’m sure we have all been guilty of at some point, life just seems to get in the way.
I’ve made some progress in the nearly 4 years, yes that long, since I last posted on this subject. Over that time Mikey has refreshed some bolts for me, I’ve purchased some parts (has anyone else noticed how difficult J parts are to come by?) and arranged for the engine rebuild. Now lockdown has been partially lifted I will be going to do some exercise by lifting a heavy old lump on to a trolley on a fellow members front garden before he wheels the patient away to theatre.
I’ve started painting some parts but need to wait a few weeks for the right atmospheric conditions to do the frame. In the meantime I’ve done the swing arm and a few ancillaries.
5D490118-BA32-4B61-8CBA-8548336E1328.jpeg
5D490118-BA32-4B61-8CBA-8548336E1328.jpeg (42.76 KiB) Viewed 19631 times

One thing I notice is that they must have electro static painted at the factory as the very thin coating easily covers all surfaces without this build up of crud you can see in the second picture.
8500AAA5-9EFD-401D-AED7-7FAA5C7BAE97.jpeg
8500AAA5-9EFD-401D-AED7-7FAA5C7BAE97.jpeg (33.35 KiB) Viewed 19631 times
I will dress and brush this area once the paint is hard.
Onward and upward.

chrisu

#20 PostAuthor: chrisu » Mon May 18, 2020 7:42 am

don't feel too bad chris. The lockdown has enabled (forced) me to finish a bike (Z1000H) i started 10 years ago..............

Just finished and runs a treat.

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#21 PostAuthor: tlc » Fri May 29, 2020 6:01 pm

This is the weekend.
Everything is in place and atmospherics look favourable. The plan is to do the first coat after lunch tomorrow and a second on Sunday.

image.jpg

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#22 PostAuthor: tlc » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:23 pm

This has been a absolute marathon. On the plus side I have an acceptable finish on the frame, on the minus side I now have shares in Frosts. A rattle can job and the first I have undertaken in a very long time I have had to apply a base coat which despite my best efforts with preparation revealed many imperfections. From scrapes on the underside of the main loop, probably bad handling by me, to light damage from the chain at some point in its life. I’ve primed, base coated, rubbed down then given it two coats over the last two days. I don’t know how good the iPad photo will come out but let me know what you think.
A1F6C35C-CFD0-42DA-A5DA-69E8738829DE.jpeg

Experience with the swing arm a few weeks ago has shown me that Frosts chassis paint takes a very long, read weeks, to harden. Yes it’s dry within a couple of days but is very susceptible to marking. The plan is to leave it hanging up in the garage for at least two weeks before touching it.
Here’s the swing arm which is now fully hard and I will say I am very pleased with the end result.

79992100-1973-43FB-880D-D6B0AE1AE4F1.jpeg

I have been doing some other prep and paint in the meantime, calipers in particular, but will wait until I get to the forks and yokes before sharing.
After leaving this for so many years, I’m now enjoying the process of the full restoration.

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#23 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:02 pm

Very nice
Pete

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#24 PostAuthor: Bill P » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:26 pm

Looks good to me :)

bedlow1
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#25 PostAuthor: bedlow1 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:57 am

Nice work Chris, keep up the momentum
Now where did I leave my Keys!
1972 Z1 Euro Spec
1975 Z1B UK Bike

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#26 PostAuthor: tlc » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:44 pm

I have a lot to update here but it's rather like juggling cats at the moment. So many things are in progress, part completed or being stocked in readiness for the right time it's doing my head in.
Painting of the major components is complete and the bike is up on 2 wheels. BunnysZ came over and assisted with that as, I think I mentioned before, the paint is staying very soft for a long time. Now it's been sitting for a few months its getting there. On the paint front I was troubled by the fact that although it says on the tin that it will be hard within a few days this just isn't the case. I realise it all depends on atmospheric conditions but this Frost paint is a devil. Sure it has a lovely finish and looks very factory once dry I just can't get over the curing time extension over what they claim. Whilst watching an episode of Repair Shop the art conservator stated that oil based paints can take a year to dry. Never mind, I am in no rush :shock: I will start adding some photos this weekend as I need to clear the garage and can get to some proper light.
One thing which never ceases to amaze is the sheer number of fixtures and fittings in any bike. I had previously sent a batch off to Mikey for his attention and having taken my engine to Buzzard once lockdown had eased a bit he needed to send the outer cases off. I called on him with a few more bits. Mikey is invaluable for this as his attention to detail is exemplary. The brake hoses are a case in point.
Buzzard made a start on pulling my engine apart this week and sent a few pictures.
His comment on the internals were that they are among the nicest he has seen. The head has been obviously running well and he foresees no major works required. Nonetheless a full strip out and check of valve and seat wear will be carried out.

J head.JPG

The bores though are a different matter. From my purchase of the bike in 2011 it smoked on the right hand side. I had always assumed it was due to the fact that it had been standing for 10-15 years in Madrid with the PO and as a result the valve seals had given up.
As you will see it is the bores in 3 and 4 which suffered from not moving for all that time. This will necessitate a rebore as they are too deep to hone. Non K pistons will be used at his recommendation and are 1mm oversize.

J bore 2.jpg

J bore.jpg

A lesson for all of us that even in the driest of conditions its advisable to keep engines turning over.

Light at the end of the tunnel? Hell no, but having stalled this project for a number of years I am relieved to be thinking about it every day now and even doing the smallest job brings completion ever closer.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#27 PostAuthor: Philippe » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:16 pm

Hi tlc
you're on the right track! Keep on going that way. :up
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

chrisNI
Site Admin

#28 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:53 pm

Good work Chris :D

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#29 PostAuthor: r3sc » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:23 am

Looking good. Paintwork looks great!
Keep up the good work!

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#30 PostAuthor: tlc » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:48 pm

Thanks for the positive comments. Phillips, you put me to shame with your work rate :)
One of the most dangerous things I possess is a parts book. I had some time Friday morning so had a leaf through, £200 later I have some either very small or hidden pieces in my stock. After a very busy week, apart from Friday that is, I now don’t feel like going in the garage. Howling with rain and wind earlier, I’ll have a look tomorrow. After all the rumour is of another lock down so having stocked up I should be able to make some progress. I can’t paint though as it’s far too cold and damp.

I need to start looking at the forks. I have new bushes in stock, seals will be easy to get, but am after opinions on upgrades. I know Julian and Al have done this recently so would welcome feedback after some months use. I want to keep stock appearance so spring and damper assembly mods only.

Return to “Projects”